Had anyone else heard of this?

Found 23rd Jul
I bought an item which I paid for with PayPal.
It was not as described so I opened a case and PayPal decided on my favour, told me to return the item for a refund.
Turns out the seller did not provide a house number for me to send the item.
I contacted PayPal and they said to allow them to proceed with the matter I'd need to get a Refusal to Carry form from the courier.

My issue is, I've asked around and none of the couriers, nor even Royal Mail know what that form is.
In addition I cannot book the parcel as the couriers want a full address including house number.
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
Have you tried explaining your difficulty to PayPal? You might find a call to be the easiest way to bring this to a close.

II assume that the seller is now non-responsive?
Illusionary5 m ago

Have you tried explaining your difficulty to PayPal? You might find a call …Have you tried explaining your difficulty to PayPal? You might find a call to be the easiest way to bring this to a close.II assume that the seller is now non-responsive?

The seller is non responsive to myself and PayPal.
I've been on the phone to them for the second time today after trying to get the requested form from the Post Office.

PayPal don't seem to understand my difficulty with this though.

Should I just dispatch the parcel to the address, no house number and get it tracked?
hassansf4 m ago

The seller is non responsive to myself and PayPal.I've been on the phone …The seller is non responsive to myself and PayPal.I've been on the phone to them for the second time today after trying to get the requested form from the Post Office.PayPal don't seem to understand my difficulty with this though.Should I just dispatch the parcel to the address, no house number and get it tracked?

That's an option, but probably not ideal. I'd suggest for now that you try calling a third time, and ask to speak with a supervisor if you don't get the response that you need. Can you tell if you're speaking with native English speakers? If not, the language barrier may be the issue here, which hopefully wouldn't be the case with a more senior person.
Illusionary8 m ago

That's an option, but probably not ideal. I'd suggest for now that you try …That's an option, but probably not ideal. I'd suggest for now that you try calling a third time, and ask to speak with a supervisor if you don't get the response that you need. Can you tell if you're speaking with native English speakers? If not, the language barrier may be the issue here, which hopefully wouldn't be the case with a more senior person.

I'll try but to be honest the last advisor sounded British
hassansf1 m ago

I'll try but to be honest the last advisor sounded British

Fair enough - see if you can get somewhere with a supervisor all the same, I'm surprised that you're not just getting a straight refund if the seller's not contactable.
Illusionary29 m ago

Fair enough - see if you can get somewhere with a supervisor all the same, …Fair enough - see if you can get somewhere with a supervisor all the same, I'm surprised that you're not just getting a straight refund if the seller's not contactable.

Me too. Thanks all the same.
If the seller is non responsive just send an empty box back, PayPal won’t know and you will get your mony
Have you tried googling the seller to see if you can find a number/house name. Not putting a number on may cause you issues and ultimately if it's Royal Mail the parcel will be RTS (returned to sender). Paypal will rule in the sellers favour as it isn't delivered.
Bargainhead1 h, 38 m ago

If the seller is non responsive just send an empty box back, PayPal won’t k …If the seller is non responsive just send an empty box back, PayPal won’t know and you will get your mony

They don't have the full address, that's what's causing the problem here.
windym30 m ago

Have you tried googling the seller to see if you can find a number/house …Have you tried googling the seller to see if you can find a number/house name. Not putting a number on may cause you issues and ultimately if it's Royal Mail the parcel will be RTS (returned to sender). Paypal will rule in the sellers favour as it isn't delivered.

Not necessarily.

Pop a stamp on an empty envelope, with just your surname and your postcode on it. It will arrive back through your door in a few days - my mum tried it once to prove a point to someone at work!
windym1 h, 7 m ago

Have you tried googling the seller to see if you can find a number/house …Have you tried googling the seller to see if you can find a number/house name. Not putting a number on may cause you issues and ultimately if it's Royal Mail the parcel will be RTS (returned to sender). Paypal will rule in the sellers favour as it isn't delivered.

Down the postcode finder and there's 44 properties there.

I did phone DPD and the advisor said to book it without a house number and they'll try to deliver at the postcode, she said if they attempt to deliver no one will sign for it if its not theirs, but I beg to differ.
Ask on here if anyone is signed up with 192.com and if so see if they can find the house number assuming they are down as living there as in council tax registration.

m.192.com/peo…le/
Edited by: "caverncity" 24th Jul
How was the item delivered to you? If it was collected from the senders address the courier maybe able to give you the address you require.
miikeyblue10 h, 30 m ago

Not necessarily.Pop a stamp on an empty envelope, with just your surname …Not necessarily.Pop a stamp on an empty envelope, with just your surname and your postcode on it. It will arrive back through your door in a few days - my mum tried it once to prove a point to someone at work!

It may prove a point to someone at work, it won't help the OP win a Paypal case!
hassansf9 h, 55 m ago

Down the postcode finder and there's 44 properties there.I did phone DPD …Down the postcode finder and there's 44 properties there.I did phone DPD and the advisor said to book it without a house number and they'll try to deliver at the postcode, she said if they attempt to deliver no one will sign for it if its not theirs, but I beg to differ.

Did google throw anything up on their name with the road number/post code?

Do you know that you can register with Paypal Returns On Us, for up to £15 refund of the returns postage?
windym34 m ago

It may prove a point to someone at work, it won't help the OP win a Paypal …It may prove a point to someone at work, it won't help the OP win a Paypal case!

Never claimed it would
miikeyblue2 h, 13 m ago

Never claimed it would

Why bother then? Or did you not read the thread?
windym2 m ago

Why bother then? Or did you not read the thread?

I did read it - sorry, my reply earlier was a little short. I was simply responding to the bit in your comment where you said

"ultimately if it's Royal Mail the parcel will be RTS"

I should have made it clear at the time that I didn't believe that paypal would back him just for putting the name and postcode - obviously that's not the case at all! Just suggested it as a little experiment, that's all - RM are smarter than we sometimes give them credit for
miikeyblue19 m ago

I did read it - sorry, my reply earlier was a little short. I was simply …I did read it - sorry, my reply earlier was a little short. I was simply responding to the bit in your comment where you said "ultimately if it's Royal Mail the parcel will be RTS"I should have made it clear at the time that I didn't believe that paypal would back him just for putting the name and postcode - obviously that's not the case at all! Just suggested it as a little experiment, that's all - RM are smarter than we sometimes give them credit for

I understand what you are saying. Perhaps a name and postcode will work where you live - a street with a name of x houses will usually find their way.

A postcode can cover a vast area - Farming families with the same last name, yet none of them wanting to receive the post of another, despite their apparent closeness.

Pop a stamp on an envelope with a name and post code on down in Cornwall and it could land with 10's of different families - related by name but likely they've never met!
I had a similar experience. I won a case and was told to return the goods. However the only conversation I managed with the seller was please send to a different address to what was registered with PayPal as they had moved. I explained to PayPal the situation but they told me to send it to the address they had registered. I did just that and the goods were never delivered and 'returned to sender'. I kept the goods and got a refund too once I could show Paypal I had tried to send to the address they asked me to send to.

So why not just ask Paypal what address they want the goods sent back to, follow that instruction to a tee, and you should find yourself in the same position.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
After nearly one month, a disputes case, eight phone calls, two dozen emails and a twitter chat, PayPal finally confirmed that have his full address.
I've booked the parcel and it's on its way first thing tomorrow.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions