Haggle AA renewal

Posted 21st Oct
We have been quoted a renewal quote for AA cover. This is the first year that we have had the renewal and I have read that you can haggle the AA membership if you call and say you want to cancel then apparently they will offer you a lower renewal quote.

Anyone done this? We have silver membership benefits but I read you can get very cheap AA cover if you choose 'basic' AA membership, which only cover the car and only for a maximum of 2 call out a year.

Anyone got AA basic cover? If you do, do you still get the AA discount at restaurants etc? Our AA membership is used just for these discounts as we already have AA membership cover through the car manufacturer, but apparently as that is third party, we can't get the restaurant / pub discount.

We eat out regularly so the saving we make from the AA discount far surpasses the actual membership cost so we don't want to lose this but we would like to get the membership as cheaply as possible.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Bought new car - check
Comes with free break down cover - check
Like restaurant discounts - check
Known for trying to save a few bob - check
Bored and wanted to ask an inane question for something I really don’t need. Rather than ask for ways to ditch a product I don’t require and ask for an alternative - check, check, check.
23 Comments
Direct renewals do not always produce a decent retention offer. Possibly better tobuy a new AA subscription and enjoy 42% cashback, just signup as a new customer in partner's / relative's / pet hamster's / Deeks' name via topcashback.co.uk/aa-…wn/
AndyRoyd21/10/2019 19:51

Direct renewals do not always produce a decent retention offer. Possibly …Direct renewals do not always produce a decent retention offer. Possibly better tobuy a new AA subscription and enjoy 42% cashback, just signup as a new customer in partner's / relative's / pet hamster's / Deeks' name via https://www.topcashback.co.uk/aa-uk-breakdown/

the policy is in my name but it is cover for the car. i saw that applying as a new member is cheaper than the renewal quote when i got a new quote. i was thinking i could put the new policy in hubby's name and go through TCB but it states that cashback will be rejected if the policy was cancelled within the last 90 days before the new one is taken out as you are not considered to be a new member. i could chance it and hope they cough up as they may not associate the policy on car registration but email address. the new member quote is cheaper than the renewal quote even without the cashback.

however, i am thinking that i could get the membership changed to basic as apparently you can get that for less than half the price of the standard membership, or haggle the price down by pretending to cancel before renewal. reading through the t&c, i think basic AA cover still give member the retailers discounts but I am not 100% sure on this.
Just ring them, I do every year. There is an option for 'thinking of leaving'. You have to act promptly though as if you let it automatically renew then you can't ask for any discount.
JimboParrot21/10/2019 20:10

Just ring them, I do every year. There is an option for 'thinking of …Just ring them, I do every year. There is an option for 'thinking of leaving'. You have to act promptly though as if you let it automatically renew then you can't ask for any discount.

what do you say when you call them? do you say that you would like to cancel or do you say that you would like to see if they can offer you cheaper?
I've literally just done it in the last few days. I said 'I've received my renewal notice and am ringing to see if there is anything you can do on the price' .
I generally flip between AA & RAC annually. Using Quidco/TCB always gets a lower figure than any discounted renewal.

Also consider a premium current account that may give you cover as well as mobile & travel insurance. May work out cheaper if you use all the benefits.
rbz541621/10/2019 20:23

I generally flip between AA & RAC annually. Using Quidco/TCB always gets a …I generally flip between AA & RAC annually. Using Quidco/TCB always gets a lower figure than any discounted renewal.Also consider a premium current account that may give you cover as well as mobile & travel insurance. May work out cheaper if you use all the benefits.

we don't plan to go abroad so we don't need travel insurance. we also don't need mobile insurance. in fact we don't even need breakdown cover as we already have that given to us free with the car. we only take out the cover for the restaurant discount. i looked at the RAC and they don't have the restaurant discount unfortunately.
mutley121/10/2019 20:27

i looked at the RAC and they don't have the restaurant discount …i looked at the RAC and they don't have the restaurant discount unfortunately.

Yes they do. We can / and have taken advantage of it.
Three friend of mine share a family membership saying they live at the same address.
At the end of the year the next one takes out a new membership at his address and goes for Quidco or topcashback.
Around and around they go.
Top cover for under £50 a year each.
mutley121/10/2019 20:27

we don't plan to go abroad so we don't need travel insurance. we also …we don't plan to go abroad so we don't need travel insurance. we also don't need mobile insurance. in fact we don't even need breakdown cover as we already have that given to us free with the car. we only take out the cover for the restaurant discount. i looked at the RAC and they don't have the restaurant discount unfortunately.

Get free breakdown cover with the car so buy more from The AA. Makes sense to me mutters.
Bought new car - check
Comes with free break down cover - check
Like restaurant discounts - check
Known for trying to save a few bob - check
Bored and wanted to ask an inane question for something I really don’t need. Rather than ask for ways to ditch a product I don’t require and ask for an alternative - check, check, check.
If you already Have breakdown with car
Why do you need AA breakdown for ?
I’m sorry but I think from what I understood you have two breakdown policies ?
I don't allow our full AA breakdown cover to renew automatically anymore. For the last two renewals, I have checked the cost to new customers of buying the same AA cover and the equivalent RAC cover online, then rung the AA, told them we cannot afford the AA renewal premium and needed a reduction if I was to continue with my AA membership. When the first AA agent I spoke to seemed a little reticent to offer a decent reduction, I quoted what I could buy the same cover online with the RAC as a new customer instead. That did the trick and she ended up reducing the renewal cost by £67 to retain us as members. Same cover, same AA discounts. This year, I got £57 knocked off the renewal premium without even having to threaten to leave.
Edited by: "Robbo11" 22nd Oct
abdul521/10/2019 23:08

If you already Have breakdown with car Why do you need AA breakdown for ? …If you already Have breakdown with car Why do you need AA breakdown for ? I’m sorry but I think from what I understood you have two breakdown policies ?

It’s to line up next weeks question. “My Rolls Royce is now a year old. What’s the cheapest breakdown cover I can get for it?”
Don't absolutely rely on cashback, last year my browser crashed in middle of transaction with AA, restarting browser it picked up page where it had crashed, after checking credit card etc appeared not to go through so i continued with transaction.
Sometime later i noticed had gone through twice so phoned to cancel one, which they did although refund took ages and they declined the cash back (approx £65).
tregs21/10/2019 20:33

Yes they do. We can / and have taken advantage of it.

is there a link on their website to the restaurant discount? i looked but only saw days out and travel discounts.
abdul521/10/2019 23:08

If you already Have breakdown with car Why do you need AA breakdown for ? …If you already Have breakdown with car Why do you need AA breakdown for ? I’m sorry but I think from what I understood you have two breakdown policies ?

the car comes with free AA breakdown cover but that does not give us the restaurant discount as it is given to us from the car manufacturer so it is through a third party. in order to get the restaurant discount, we have to buy a policy with the AA direct, which we have done. we have bought it because the savings from the restaurants and pubs means we make a big profit!

so we would like to renew the cover to get this discount. the AA doesn't mind us having 2 policies with them for the same car as it is more money for them.
mutley122/10/2019 11:47

the car comes with free AA breakdown cover but that does not give us the …the car comes with free AA breakdown cover but that does not give us the restaurant discount as it is given to us from the car manufacturer so it is through a third party. in order to get the restaurant discount, we have to buy a policy with the AA direct, which we have done. we have bought it because the savings from the restaurants and pubs means we make a big profit! so we would like to renew the cover to get this discount. the AA doesn't mind us having 2 policies with them for the same car as it is more money for them.

This is so strange
Never have I came across this
maddogb22/10/2019 09:25

Don't absolutely rely on cashback, last year my browser crashed in middle …Don't absolutely rely on cashback, last year my browser crashed in middle of transaction with AA, restarting browser it picked up page where it had crashed, after checking credit card etc appeared not to go through so i continued with transaction.Sometime later i noticed had gone through twice so phoned to cancel one, which they did although refund took ages and they declined the cash back (approx £65).

never had AA cashback before so i can't comment on their reliability at paying out cashback. there is a high probability that the cashback will be rejected in our case as it is insured for the car only and there is already a policy in place via the car manufacturer so they will not consider us as a new customer even if i change the policy name to hubby's if they check. only way it gets paid is if they don't do rigorous checks on cashbacks. this is why i think i may be better off haggling the renewal price to be lower than a new member price as then i don't have to rely on cashback.
abdul522/10/2019 11:48

This is so strange Never have I came across this

Read some more of his other posts and it wont seem so weird
abdul522/10/2019 11:48

This is so strange Never have I came across this

it is strange for sure, but a quirk we found that works in our benefit! we make a saving between £600 to £700 a year from using the AA discount so even if we don't have a car, we would still take out a policy!
mutley122/10/2019 11:50

never had AA cashback before so i can't comment on their reliability at …never had AA cashback before so i can't comment on their reliability at paying out cashback. there is a high probability that the cashback will be rejected in our case as it is insured for the car only and there is already a policy in place via the car manufacturer so they will not consider us as a new customer even if i change the policy name to hubby's if they check. only way it gets paid is if they don't do rigorous checks on cashbacks. this is why i think i may be better off haggling the renewal price to be lower than a new member price as then i don't have to rely on cashback.

Good thinking.
I have to ring and threaten to cancel every year when my renewal is due. Always state I can't afford the renewal and they always either do it for the price I'm currently paying or maybe a pound more. Last year they also promised to freeze the price for 2 years!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants