Haggling at Benson for Bed experience

Found 21st Jan 2016
Anyone have experience in Benson for bed recently (within 1 yr plz). I am after a mattress and is original price £999. The current offer is £899 and interest free finance. I managed to find online promotional code for maybe extra 10% off and cash back, but still quite expensive. How likely they will reduce the price in store. Also I want to pay with credit card and use finance at the same time, but it seems you are only allow to choose one method of payment.

Does one know Benson's sales pattern, how often they do big sale?

Any advice will be good. Thx

Unfortunately I have back problem. Since I'm planning to change the mattress, I need to make sure it is the right one.
Community Updates
AskBed
21 Comments
you must really love your sleep if your willing to spend that much on a mattress lol.
I bought one about 2 years ago for about £200 from tesco direct and its so comfy.
I can't imagine one of them being much better
I'm not sure if bensons will accept haggling- i know most other high street furniture shops that offer interest free won't budge on price. When i bought my bed i noticed that anywhere offering long term interest free deals simply inflate the price of the product to absorb the cost of the finance.

You could try bedshed (its the same company as bensons) but discounts most of the stock. You can get shorter term Interest free credit, and the base prices of the items do not tend to be inflated. They also price match other websites (its hidden in the T+Cs)
Just go in with a figure & mind, see what they say, the sleep on it...................

..............I'll get my coat.
Have you tried shopping around and the likes of Ikea?
£900 is a lot of money for just a mattress.
You can get a good bed, mattress and all the accessories for less then half that amount.
stefromuk

you must really love your sleep if your willing to spend that much on a … you must really love your sleep if your willing to spend that much on a mattress lol.I bought one about 2 years ago for about £200 from tesco direct and its so comfy.I can't imagine one of them being much better

Why do you find it funny that the OP wants to spend that much money on a bed? We spend a third of our lives sleeping and I would want to spend whatever it costs to get the best and most comfortable bed I can afford.

Congratulations on your £200 bed from Tesco being perfect for you. Buying a decent bed we are all happy with is a hard thing to find and many of us would certainly like the ease of access places like Bensons for Beds offer in terms of laying down on a bed they may buy.

It is rather critical to say 'you cant imagine it being much better' when you clearly don't care about investing money in a bed. You sound like the type of person that would spend £500+ on a phone that will last you a couple of years than spend that kind of money a better bed.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Tesco do not offer the chance to have a quick lay down in store...granted any sort of test for comfort like this wont show how your body will react but it certainly save the hassle of buying blind and hoping it all works out.

For me the price of the mattress is irrelevant if there is an interest free option available and I work out the cost of a bed differently. I work out how much I would be willing to pay someone to sleep on the most comfortable bed they have (lets say that is 50p per night - £182.50 a year - which doesn't seem like a lot when we consider how important sleep is to us) I would then like to think the mattress will last atleast 5 years, so I times that by 5 and I have the cost of the mattress.

To the OP, a friend of mine bought a bed last week from Bensons and got 5% discount thrown in as they asked if there was any movement on price because they found a similar bed online they liked. I think the key is making sure you the sales person knows you want to buy today and you know what you want specifcally, then hope on the day you get someone who will be flexible with your budget. Walk away if needed and come back later if all else fails but don't think the bed is expensive, its going to last a long time.
n00dles0up

Why do you find it funny that the OP wants to spend that much money on a … Why do you find it funny that the OP wants to spend that much money on a bed? We spend a third of our lives sleeping and I would want to spend whatever it costs to get the best and most comfortable bed I can afford.Congratulations on your £200 bed from Tesco being perfect for you. Buying a decent bed we are all happy with is a hard thing to find and many of us would certainly like the ease of access places like Bensons for Beds offer in terms of laying down on a bed they may buy. It is rather critical to say 'you cant imagine it being much better' when you clearly don't care about investing money in a bed. You sound like the type of person that would spend £500+ on a phone that will last you a couple of years than spend that kind of money a better bed.Correct me if I am wrong, but Tesco do not offer the chance to have a quick lay down in store...granted any sort of test for comfort like this wont show how your body will react but it certainly save the hassle of buying blind and hoping it all works out.For me the price of the mattress is irrelevant if there is an interest free option available and I work out the cost of a bed differently. I work out how much I would be willing to pay someone to sleep on the most comfortable bed they have (lets say that is 50p per night - £182.50 a year - which doesn't seem like a lot when we consider how important sleep is to us) I would then like to think the mattress will last atleast 5 years, so I times that by 5 and I have the cost of the mattress. To the OP, a friend of mine bought a bed last week from Bensons and got 5% discount thrown in as they asked if there was any movement on price because they found a similar bed online they liked. I think the key is making sure you the sales person knows you want to buy today and you know what you want specifcally, then hope on the day you get someone who will be flexible with your budget. Walk away if needed and come back later if all else fails but don't think the bed is expensive, its going to last a long time.

Wow somebody's not had a good nights sleep maybe you need a new mattress
Why do you keep referring to it as a bed when he clearly states he wants a mattress.
My point is throwing money at things like you must do doesn't mean you are getting the best product.
You have made me think though as I'm buying a new coffee cup for £5 but now I might get the other one I've seen for £10 as it has a better picture on it so the pleasure I will get from looking at the picture each time I use it might make me want to have more coffees so then I would be getting more benefit from it.
Hmm but then all that caffeine may keep me up at night so I suppose I could do with a new mattress.
joedastudd

Have you tried shopping around and the likes of Ikea?£900 is a lot of … Have you tried shopping around and the likes of Ikea?£900 is a lot of money for just a mattress.You can get a good bed, mattress and all the accessories for less then half that amount.

Ikea probably have THE worst mattresses in the world. I've found independent furniture stores though can normally get the same branded mattresses as you're after for half that price.
Something that might be of interest. Eve Mattress: evemattress.co.uk/mat…tml offer a 100 night risk free 'trial'. I went for one and got on really well with it.

I suffer from back issues as well, buying a mattress is a big purchase and I went for the above purely on the basis that it was a risk free trial. Certainly don't regret it.
Edited by: "ipswich78" 21st Jan 2016
Just have a look at reviews of the service Bensons For Beds offer. Nobody has a good word to say about it.
I would never buy anything from there.
ChrisUK

Ikea probably have THE worst mattresses in the world. I've found … Ikea probably have THE worst mattresses in the world. I've found independent furniture stores though can normally get the same branded mattresses as you're after for half that price.

In general Ikea score pretty highly on the budget to mid range mattress reviews.

It's a lot down to personal preference.
Personally nothing comes close to the comfort and sleep I get on there foam mattresses, well not without spending 2 or 3 times the amount.

All I was saying was check out and test all the alternatives before spending big money on anything.
If it's just a mattress you are after then try Mattressman.
Banned
They have a discretionary managers discount if you tell them your condition, I mentioned I was pregnant and was given 15% off.
stefromuk

Wow somebody's not had a good nights sleep maybe you need a new mattress … Wow somebody's not had a good nights sleep maybe you need a new mattress ;)Why do you keep referring to it as a bed when he clearly states he wants a mattress.My point is throwing money at things like you must do doesn't mean you are getting the best product.You have made me think though as I'm buying a new coffee cup for £5 but now I might get the other one I've seen for £10 as it has a better picture on it so the pleasure I will get from looking at the picture each time I use it might make me want to have more coffees so then I would be getting more benefit from it.Hmm but then all that caffeine may keep me up at night so I suppose I could do with a new mattress.:)

Haha...personally I don't think it fair to criticise the amount of money anyone would spend on a bed (forgive me...mattress) because it's important. There's plenty of reasons why we have varied pricing for all kinds of products and that is to cater to everyone's income and their own value of what they are buying.

Why buy a TV for £1000 when there are plenty for £200. It's Swings and roundabouts and personal choice.

At no point did I say spending out the money would get you the best, but when it comes to buying a mattress, why wouldn't you spend £1000+ on a comfortable mattress, especially if you have gone out and tried a few. And I certainly do not throw money at things for the sake of it.

We have different opinions on what a lot of money when it comes to a mattress but we can both agree that it needs to be comfortable and reliable for a good few years, whatever you pay has to be reflected in that cost.

In regards to the coffee cup get the £10 one X), as it has nicer pictures. Otherwise you may as well going in the 99p store and buy 5. Enjoy your coffee in whatever makes you happiest.
Edited by: "n00dles0up" 21st Jan 2016
n00dles0up

Haha...personally I don't think it fair to criticise the amount of money … Haha...personally I don't think it fair to criticise the amount of money anyone would spend on a bed (forgive me...mattress) because it's important. There's plenty of reasons why we have varied pricing for all kinds of products and that is to cater to everyone's income and their own value of what they are buying. Why buy a TV for £1000 when there are plenty for £200. It's Swings and roundabouts and personal choice.At no point did I say spending out the money would get you the best, but when it comes to buying a mattress, why wouldn't you spend £1000+ on a comfortable mattress, especially if you have gone out and tried a few. And I certainly do not throw money at things for the sake of it.We have different opinions on what a lot of money when it comes to a mattress but we can both agree that it needs to be comfortable and reliable for a good few years, whatever you pay has to be reflected in that cost.In regards to the coffee cup get the £10 one X), as it has nicer pictures. Otherwise you may as well going in the 99p store and buy 5. Enjoy your coffee in whatever makes you happiest.

The other thing to remember is that some mattresses get worked harder than others ;-) if it's not going to get much use there's little point spending much money on it :-)
ipswich78

The other thing to remember is that some mattresses get worked harder … The other thing to remember is that some mattresses get worked harder than others ;-) if it's not going to get much use there's little point spending much money on it :-)

Fair point, depends how you use it i suppose
i just bought a divan and matress from bensons, i tried haggling and the most i got off was 10% to pay for the delivery charge
Which mattress is it? It's not unusual for the likes of Bensons to have slightly custom models with a different stitching pattern, custom branding or something else trivial made for them so you may be able to find the same manufacturer's model elsewhere under a different name to give you an idea of what a realistic price to aim for would be.
I bought 2 beds a few months ago from Bensons.

I paid with cash, it was around £1000 in total, I think we ended up paying roughly £800 in the end as the sales team were happy to knock off £100 per bed due to paying with cash. Just had to ask.
n00dles0up

Haha...personally I don't think it fair to criticise the amount of money … Haha...personally I don't think it fair to criticise the amount of money anyone would spend on a bed (forgive me...mattress) because it's important. There's plenty of reasons why we have varied pricing for all kinds of products and that is to cater to everyone's income and their own value of what they are buying. Why buy a TV for £1000 when there are plenty for £200. It's Swings and roundabouts and personal choice.At no point did I say spending out the money would get you the best, but when it comes to buying a mattress, why wouldn't you spend £1000+ on a comfortable mattress, especially if you have gone out and tried a few. And I certainly do not throw money at things for the sake of it.We have different opinions on what a lot of money when it comes to a mattress but we can both agree that it needs to be comfortable and reliable for a good few years, whatever you pay has to be reflected in that cost.In regards to the coffee cup get the £10 one X), as it has nicer pictures. Otherwise you may as well going in the 99p store and buy 5. Enjoy your coffee in whatever makes you happiest.

Can't beat a bit of banter
ipswich78

The other thing to remember is that some mattresses get worked harder … The other thing to remember is that some mattresses get worked harder than others ;-) if it's not going to get much use there's little point spending much money on it :-)

Oooh bitchy
Have i been leaving my webcam on again ,
But least you keep logging on to watch me
Edited by: "stefromuk" 22nd Jan 2016
stefromuk

Can't beat a bit of banter

Agreed. Bit too early to start now oO

I wonder how the OP got on...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions