Groups

Haggling in stores? Do you?

this is just for my own personal interest here.

the general public seem to have taken more of an interest in haggling since those as***les Martin Lewis and that second hand car salesman Dom littlewood, arrived on TV saying that us sales folk should be given a hard time, milked for discount and told if we don't match internet prices, we're all f**ked.

I never had a problem with Martin Lewis when he was a consumer rights guy on TV or the guy telling you how to save money by banking with the right people, but he seems to have turned into a slightly more well spoken version of Dodgy Dom.

So as a salesman myself, I'm treated to an every day concerto of
    "What discount can you do?"
    with a bit of
    "I can get it cheaper online will you price match"

who can forget the hit single
    "If I buy two can I have it cheaper?"

and then of course theres the all time favs
    "Theres a credit crunch on you know?"
    &
    "That Dom off the telly said I could get discount just by asking"

and the all time number one
    "Whats your best price for cash?"

So do you do it?
    try?
    if so, where and how do you approach the subject?

theres nothing more frustrating to me that someone pointing at a product and asking "Whats your best price on that, mate?"

I enjoy a bit of banter with customers but I quite often just want to walk away when people are rude and arrogant about getting some discount on a product.
    especially when its entry level tv, laptop etc etc.

So do you try to haggle?
    or do you do some research on sites like this and just go directly to the place you feel has the best deal?

Me personally I'd do my own research and buy it from the place that I feel has it at the best price with the best service, be that online or a store.
    I wouldnt EVER think of going into a store and start bullying sales staff into lowering their prices by threatening to walk out and take my business elsewhere, or asking them to throw in free sh*t to get my money.

gimme some haggling stories, people.
    what have you gotten, been offerred?

does ANYONE discount for cash payment?

50 Comments

i am in sales too, but carpets, and get this every time, credit crunch is the favourite and cash payment!!

You might want to edit both swear words out of the OP not just one.....
    And yes, If i feel it's worth it I try. I tried to haggle on a car once saying "but I'm paying cash" lol... think the best I got was a couple of hundred. They aren't bothered any more...or they weren't at the time. Might be different now there is a recession.

Original Poster

cash is just more of a hassle really.
    more time spent counting it and banking it every day.
    debit/credit card is so much easier

I volunteer in a charity shop and its such a common thing for customers to haggle. Over 50p etc..

slackrat77;4669794

cash is just more of a hassle really.more time spent counting it and … cash is just more of a hassle really.more time spent counting it and banking it every day.debit/credit card is so much easier

If your going to spend a lot of money or give a company much needed buisness, then why not haggle. What's the worst that can happen?

lol credit crunch - everyone says it.
    Me, i dont haggle, a shop has to make its money. So i just look for the shop that is willing to sell it at the price I want to pay.

u wouldnt haggle in tesco for a tin of beans though wud u

intenso100;4669854

60p..no...6k yes lol

Banned

intenso100;4669854

no because they have them on bogof, you aint got a spare bit of carpet for my dining room have ya :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Artonox;4669830

lol credit crunch - everyone says it.Me, i dont haggle, a shop has to … lol credit crunch - everyone says it.Me, i dont haggle, a shop has to make its money. So i just look for the shop that is willing to sell it at the price I want to pay.

i like you.

I havent ever haggled really in a shop but i know people that do, i dont do it as i find it embarassing to ask, not a well spoken person and to chicken to ask.

My husband has asked for things before and been really cheeky and 9 times out of 10 he got what he asked for straight away but this is generally not in major shops, although he has done so in Jessops before and got £80 knocked off a product because they price matched.

I got £50 knocked of an engagement ring by offering cash (just don't tell the mrs.)

I would only ever try haggling if something cost over £1k, anything else is a waste of energy... but... if you don't ask, you don't get.

Working as a salesman does it not come with the territory slightly?

I would never be rude, but if I'm spending a considerable amount with a company then I would certainly try and haggle.

Most companies successfully price discriminate, so to try and get a bit of a bargain is perfectly fine in my opinion.

i haggled with my new contract if that counts. i just completed an 18 month contract and told them they were going to have to give me more for my money if they wanted me to stay with them. i got an extra 200 mins, unlimited texts, free weekends, a bluetooth dongle and £5 a month knocked off my monthly tarriff so it worked out for me!

i dont see any problem with that if it is a reasonable price i'd pay it but if it isn't then i think it's fine to offer a price you can afford and see if the seller can accomodate. if not then c'est la vie. it's about developing your skills of persuasion/negotiation and possibly some survival skills too.

my nan tried to haggle in bluewater as if she was at the market or something, so embarassing

comes with the job really matey everyone wants a bargain even you as ur on a deals site :thumbsup:

I can't say that I agree that haggling is bullying. Really a shop price is an offer to enter into a contract - you pay this price and you get this Super Glitter Moon Buggy v3 - no reason at all why the other side of the deal shouldn't seek to vary the terms of the contract prior to agreement by offering less or requesting a reduction. In a business deal you'd be hauled over the coals for not negotiating - where's the difference?
    Doubt this would work in Asda though. But I'd love to see the video of someone trying it there.
    Or even better, someone trying it at a BP station.

I generally do my research and find the best deal. I would try and haggle though if I got the chance - Tried in cpw when getting my gfs phone, my haggling didn't work too well, but I did get the phone cheaper by buying it on Orange and being told it came unlocked.

If you don't ask, you don't get. As long as you're polite, it shouldn't be an issue. Everyone wants something for nothing, or as much value for their money as they can get.

I went into a Ford dealership yesterday to look at a Ford Mondeo Edge 2.0 Zetec on a 2008 plate in Panther Black. The car was priced at £9,999, I asked the salesman how much discount for cash and he replied nothing as they make a killing when people get credit to pay. I was interested in buying (honest).

He lost a sale, but it gives me more time to investigate a better price.

What a joke and its suppose to be a buyers market!!!!!

Original Poster

I agree that everyone across the universe is looking for a bargain. me included.
    it just seems that a lot of people now assume that stores are still making very high margin on things like TVs and laptops, but its not true.
    I have no problem with a bit of bartering in the sales conversation but for someone to just say "whats your best price on that?" as their opener is just plain rude.
    one guy asked me "How are you with negotiations?" I asked back "why is someone being held hostage?"
    Where I work we have a discount margin of 1% of our total weeks sales figures. so if by friday I've done £5k then I could've done up to £50 discount.

slackrat77;4671376

one guy asked me "How are you with negotiations?" I asked back "why is … one guy asked me "How are you with negotiations?" I asked back "why is someone being held hostage?"

I'd have laughed. :-D

if you don't ask you don't get, I see no issue with it, retailers want business so offering customers this is good for business as its better than no custom

This has been a main stay in the U.S for a long time you can haggle in pretty much any store and they will fight for your custom, its time UK consumers started being smart with their spending

Left many a store with poor sales people who are hacked off with questions or not knowing the product, don't get me started.

You sound like a terrible sales person.

All depends on what and where I'm buying of course, but the most recent one was a new king-size bed reduced from £899 to £499 (last of line). I haggled for a discount which they said was impossible at first, but after a bit of back and forth between the salesperson and then the manager, they finally agreed free delivery (saved £10) and an extra 6%.

A near £40 saving on something I was going to buy anyway. It took an extra 20 minutes of my time and a bit of a brass neck - and I didn't use the term 'credit crunch' or 'cash' once.

While I do think Martin Lewis and Dom Littlewood are ***** of the highest order, they do have a point. The fact that HMV are the only large entertainment retailer left on the high-street, while online retailers are prospering, is proof positive for me that not keeping up with Internet prices and not being flexible with your pricing is the road to wrack and ruin.

Many people would prefer to buy from the high-street but as that is often the most expensive place to go the high-street shops will miss out on an awful lot of business if they don't start being more receptive to this sort of thing.

For example, if I wander into John Lewis and that TV I'm looking for is more expensive than the store down the road or Amazon then I'm not going to buy that TV from there unless they are willing to shift on price or demonstrate that they offer some extra value for that extra money. - Let's face it, a sale at a lower price than the tag on the shelf says is better than no sale at all :thumbsup:.

intenso100;4669854

lol thats my favorite thing to say when a customer asks for discount.... And then they say no they only cost 50p, but if you tell it to them like this......

Me: How many people live in your house?
    Them: 2
    Me: So you probably spend around £100 a month on shopping?
    Them: Yeah about that
    Me: so thats £1200 a year roughly? Ok so how often do you buy a new £500 TV? every 3/5 years? So buy the time you buy a new TV you would have spent about £5000 on shopping?...... I think you should ask for a discount on the beans next time...

That usually diffuses the discount situation pretty quickly and makes a bit of a joke of the situation which i find helps and tells them no in a subtle (and confusing) way

Original Poster

Titchimp;4671421

You sound like a terrible sales person.

you don't know me.
    end of.

my mum does it, its so embarrassing :oops: :oops:
    when we shop together i get us student discount when possible then once we went to M&S she was asking the dude at the till if there was any further reductions i nearly fainted!

slackrat77;4671840

you don't know me.end of.

That's right, i don't know you, I do not know the pain and suffering you have gone through on the currys shop floor, customers coming in day in day out asking if you can do a lower price, damn these bullies that give you the chance to sell them something. DAMN THEM!

kelly1987;4671637

lol thats my favorite thing to say when a customer asks for discount.... … lol thats my favorite thing to say when a customer asks for discount.... And then they say no they only cost 50p, but if you tell it to them like this......Me: How many people live in your house?Them: 2Me: So you probably spend around £100 a month on shopping?Them: Yeah about thatMe: so thats £1200 a year roughly? Ok so how often do you buy a new £500 TV? every 3/5 years? So buy the time you buy a new TV you would have spent about £5000 on shopping?...... I think you should ask for a discount on the beans next time...That usually diffuses the discount situation pretty quickly and makes a bit of a joke of the situation which i find helps and tells them no in a subtle (and confusing) way

lol, that diffuses nowt, my answer to that is always "i'm walking away now, bye", one sale just gone because you tried the teenager sarcasm, who are you to judge what a customer is spending their money on, and why do you use a DEAL site if you're happy with the prices in store?

slackrat77;4671840

you don't know me.end of.

we know you're sarky salesman with attitude, infact how are you a 'SALES' person if you aren't keen on making one?!?!

Alfonse;4672640

lol, that diffuses nowt, my answer to that is always "i'm walking away … lol, that diffuses nowt, my answer to that is always "i'm walking away now, bye", one sale just gone because you tried the teenager sarcasm, who are you to judge what a customer is spending their money on, and why do you use a DEAL site if you're happy with the prices in store?

And my answer to that is i'd rather keep my job....... Very strict no discount policy where i work! It's people like you who are making stores go under in the recession. Yes we are all in a "recession" doesn't mean it has to be pointed out to every single sales advisor you speak to. I'm no-one to judge but if you don't have enough money then dont buy a new 50" plasma.....Simples

kelly1987;4674166

And my answer to that is i'd rather keep my job....... Very strict no … And my answer to that is i'd rather keep my job....... Very strict no discount policy where i work! It's people like you who are making stores go under in the recession. Yes we are all in a "recession" doesn't mean it has to be pointed out to every single sales advisor you speak to. I'm no-one to judge but if you don't have enough money then dont buy a new 50" plasma.....Simples

People like me making stores go under?????????????? by not buying at **** prices and going for a DEAL............................

is this a joke?

kelly1987;4671637

Me: How many people live in your house?Them: 2Me: So you probably spend … Me: How many people live in your house?Them: 2Me: So you probably spend around £100 a month on shopping?Them: Yeah about thatMe: so thats £1200 a year roughly? Ok so how often do you buy a new £500 TV? every 3/5 years? So buy the time you buy a new TV you would have spent about £5000 on shopping?...... I think you should ask for a discount on the beans next time...

Do your customers always answer in unison like this? That would freak me out!

Banned

kelly1987;4671637

lol thats my favorite thing to say when a customer asks for discount.... … lol thats my favorite thing to say when a customer asks for discount.... And then they say no they only cost 50p, but if you tell it to them like this......Me: How many people live in your house?Them: 2Me: So you probably spend around £100 a month on shopping?Them: Yeah about thatMe: so thats £1200 a year roughly? Ok so how often do you buy a new £500 TV? every 3/5 years? So buy the time you buy a new TV you would have spent about £5000 on shopping?...... I think you should ask for a discount on the beans next time...That usually diffuses the discount situation pretty quickly and makes a bit of a joke of the situation which i find helps and tells them no in a subtle (and confusing) way

And you still have a job :w00t:

sassie;4674257

And you still have a job :w00t:

She's trying to keep margins up by not giving out discount.......of course she does :whistling:

Banned

megalomaniac;4674269

She's trying to keep margins up by not giving out discount.......of … She's trying to keep margins up by not giving out discount.......of course she does :whistling:

if someone said that to me i wouldnt shop there again, fine if no discounts are given but to say this to a customer aint on, mind ide tell her to mind her own business and without the likes of customers she wouldnt have a job, same sort of reply really

sassie;4674278

if someone said that to me i wouldnt shop there again, fine if no … if someone said that to me i wouldnt shop there again, fine if no discounts are given but to say this to a customer aint on, mind ide tell her to mind her own business and without the likes of customers she wouldnt have a job, same sort of reply really

Ahh yes many would agree with you there, but you have to understand the mentality of these shops. They wouldn't care if you did, it's all about the margins. When I used to work for DSG, back when Dixons was still on the high street (now I feel old, lol), staff could get away with pretty much anything so long as the sales kept coming. I doubt much has changed since.

Banned

megalomaniac;4674323

Ahh yes many would agree with you there, but you have to understand the … Ahh yes many would agree with you there, but you have to understand the mentality of these shops, it's all about the margins. When I used to work for DSG, back when Dixons was still on the high street (now I feel old, lol), staff could get away with pretty much anything so long as the sales kept coming. I doubt much has changed since.

lol - i just been looking at new houses and they aint giving much away either, mind if i had the dosh in my hand maybe another story - lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. EE Retention Deal S844
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4392040
      3. Samsung Note 878
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846344

See more discussions