Haggling Virgin media broadband.

Posted 7th Sep 2020
So, today I had the dreaded reality of my current contract coming up for expiry, with the prospect of 18 month contracts looming overhead I had to call for offers.

like many here varying results have onsued with my current bill of £47 being offered at £44/£42 after two phone calls. for just 350mb broadband

I've bit the bullet and told them I'm leaving after the second phonecall, now, will they call me within the next 30 days with a better offer, or can I call them again and hope for a better deal.

I've been looking at 4g SIM and router ideas but I need stability whilst gaming and ping is a big issue with 4g apparently.

so. what are my real world options going forward?

Do I play the waiting game or is there any other ways to get a better deal?
Community Updates
22 Comments
My only advice here is that if they do call you with an offer and they say it's only valid during that phone call, they mean it. When I turned them down last time, they only offered me the full retail price to keep my account and I ended up moving to Sky
I cancelled a few weeks ago and asked to make sure my marketing preferences were open so that retentions could call. I was told in no uncertain terms that this was the best deal I was going to get and retentions weren’t operating currently. The following day retentions called with a better offer.

Just sit tight and they’ll be in contact with the deal you want!
I also cancelled and made sure that they had my contact number before I finished my call,I got a better deal when they range me
I gave my 30 days last month and have always had a call back in the past although I still haven't had a call back and my contract ends on the 18th September.

I'm hoping I do get a call before it ends but I have a feeling that it's not going to happen.
For a point of reference, I pay £32 for 350mb Inc line rental and talk weekend phone.
Another point of reference...
I currently pay £54 for...
200mb broadband
Talk weekends
Full house tv package (including bt sports)

My package was out of contract a couple of weeks ago and the price went up to £78, i called once and negotiated it down to £54 which was my original in contract price.
karlypants07/09/2020 23:50

I gave my 30 days last month and have always had a call back in the past …I gave my 30 days last month and have always had a call back in the past although I still haven't had a call back and my contract ends on the 18th September.I'm hoping I do get a call before it ends but I have a feeling that it's not going to happen.

Make sure that your contact details are up to date on your account settings. Also make sure you have enabled/opted in for communication via email and/or telephone.

I had quite a bad experience last year where i didnt do the above, and it the contract ending/disconnection was looming. However luckily i did read somewhere that if you open a new package under a different name (can do same bank details) you are eligible for new sign up offers. Of which we ended up doing, and in the process got a big upgrade in our services for a significantly lower price than our previous package.

So if people find it difficult to negotiate a new contact price just cancel your contract and do the same. You can keep doing it every contract renewal.

However, looking into it further i may change my package to 500mb and big bundle for £47 which is cheaper than my package at the moment and over double the internet speeds!
I gave my notice just over a month ago but had to phone back with my tail between my legs as I got no call from retentions. They told me rhe retentions team have been reassigned to inbound calls during corona. I got a fixed 18 month contract for £2 cheaper than last year!
My MSE deal of £25 for 100mbps (and [unused] phone line and weekend calls) comes to an end later this month.

I gave advanced notice in July, when the best offer I was receiving was £32.

I received one call from UK retentions on a mobile number, who are working from home. They were able to offer 100mbps only (no phoneline etc) for £28pm. Still more than I was willing to pay so left notice to run a little longer.

Called them last week advising about to place order with alternative provider and this was their final chance to keep my custom with a sensible price. Was offered £27pm for 100mbps, or £22 for 54mbps both no phoneline. Managed to secure 18 months on 54 for £20 in the end, with likely upgrade to 100 at some point during the contract period.

It's worth remembering that many of their staff are still working remotely, and the impact that has. Normally a call handler can place you on a short hold and check with TL if they can offer a couple of quid off here and there depending on targets for the day/week/month/quarter. Can't do that when you're sitting in your own kitchen etc. So they are really restricted compared to normal negotiating. Same for other providers too.
I would suggest go and get the same deal on new member of a family same address cash back is not worth anymore sticking to the old deal or haggling
Coincidentally, I cancelled my package (as described in my previous messages in this convo) today, disconnection will occur on 8th of October. Just after i gave my notice I used my parents name to open a new package with Mixit Tv package, 500mb broadband and talk weekends for £47 still under my bank details.
Saving £10 and over doubling my broadband speed. I am not too fused that i downgraded my tv package as we spend more time watching catch up, netflix and prime. All we really need is ITV at 5pm to watch The Chase
I ordered my new customer package equipment to be delivered on the 6th of October. So as soon as my disconnection occurs i will link up my new equipment and get it activated, so if all goes to plan i shouldnt be without internet for any longer than an hour or so.
has anyone had any luck talking to their online live chat?
karlypants09/09/2020 10:20

has anyone had any luck talking to their online live chat?

yeah i've spoken to them before, they do give some delas though nothing spectactular.
So they did call me and offered a 15gb sim and the same broadband for £42 still don't think it's an amazing price on comparison.

Anyone else here just gave broadband 350 if so what do you pay?
How's it going guys...i have got a question..basically I'm going nowhere with virgin, I have got the bigger bundle with 100mb and phone for £60 p/m, phoned them to cancel as my contract finishes on the 28th of Sept and the services will go off on the 6 of October, spoke to retentions and they won't budge, offering me £61 a month lol, but i told them I didn't all them channels and stuff, so I asked for the big bundle with 100 and phone and they offered me £88..so I said nahh, never in a trillion years and told them I wanted to stick with the cancellation..so the question or questions are, could I get my partner to sign up through virgin or a third party like carphone warehouse and get one of their offers(virgin)? If yes when should she sign up as I didn't want to be 2,3, 4 or more days without Internet..and lastly should she say she's moving into this property as i "moved out"?..not letting these people rip me off taking advantage of these hard times. Thanks in advance..
Kurupt_ElDon09/09/2020 20:34

How's it going guys...i have got a question..basically I'm going nowhere …How's it going guys...i have got a question..basically I'm going nowhere with virgin, I have got the bigger bundle with 100mb and phone for £60 p/m, phoned them to cancel as my contract finishes on the 28th of Sept and the services will go off on the 6 of October, spoke to retentions and they won't budge, offering me £61 a month lol, but i told them I didn't all them channels and stuff, so I asked for the big bundle with 100 and phone and they offered me £88..so I said nahh, never in a trillion years and told them I wanted to stick with the cancellation..so the question or questions are, could I get my partner to sign up through virgin or a third party like carphone warehouse and get one of their offers(virgin)? If yes when should she sign up as I didn't want to be 2,3, 4 or more days without Internet..and lastly should she say she's moving into this property as i "moved out"?..not letting these people rip me off taking advantage of these hard times. Thanks in advance..

I don’t know what you waiting?! You have got the answer just don’t forget to do it through cash back site they usually pay £130 back to you for just signingup with them. I pay £24 for 100MB no phone no TV. Don’t need to say anything cancel the new one usually comes in 5 working days so you not gone be without internet if a new customer (husband) takes the new line
Be aware Virgin Media and V Mobile can be a bit like the Hotel California (you can never leave!). I gave notice to quit under 14 day cooling off period for both VM's having found mobile and Internet service was pants... but two months later they're still charging me via direct debit despite formal complaints confirmed in writing..... Keep an eye on your emails and bank statements if you do leave.....
Kurupt_ElDon09/09/2020 20:34

How's it going guys...i have got a question..basically I'm going nowhere …How's it going guys...i have got a question..basically I'm going nowhere with virgin, I have got the bigger bundle with 100mb and phone for £60 p/m, phoned them to cancel as my contract finishes on the 28th of Sept and the services will go off on the 6 of October, spoke to retentions and they won't budge, offering me £61 a month lol, but i told them I didn't all them channels and stuff, so I asked for the big bundle with 100 and phone and they offered me £88..so I said nahh, never in a trillion years and told them I wanted to stick with the cancellation..so the question or questions are, could I get my partner to sign up through virgin or a third party like carphone warehouse and get one of their offers(virgin)? If yes when should she sign up as I didn't want to be 2,3, 4 or more days without Internet..and lastly should she say she's moving into this property as i "moved out"?..not letting these people rip me off taking advantage of these hard times. Thanks in advance..

How u getting on with virgin? Did u sort it out in the end?
mel9919/09/2020 11:09

How u getting on with virgin? Did u sort it out in the end?

How's it goin pal..well I haven't heard anything yet so I'm goin ahead with the cancellation and get it again in my partner's name..they r useless..why charge more to their loyal customers who never missed or were late with a payment and but charge much less to the new customers?.. Blows my mind
Kurupt_ElDon20/09/2020 19:58

How's it goin pal..well I haven't heard anything yet so I'm goin ahead …How's it goin pal..well I haven't heard anything yet so I'm goin ahead with the cancellation and get it again in my partner's name..they r useless..why charge more to their loyal customers who never missed or were late with a payment and but charge much less to the new customers?.. Blows my mind

I rang up as my broadband was £42 first they offered me £30, then £25. You might get it cheaper than that if you are a new customer. They should offer discounts if you been with them a long time rather than cancelling.
krazie200408/09/2020 01:37

For a point of reference, I pay £32 for 350mb Inc line rental and talk …For a point of reference, I pay £32 for 350mb Inc line rental and talk weekend phone.

Wow, where did you get that
H_X1021/09/2020 21:54

Wow, where did you get that

I gave my 30 days notice, then they called me back within a week. I have been with them for about 7 years now though.
Post a comment
@
    Text