Groups

haggling with dfs and other sofa shops

Hi guys,
    Anyone successfully haggled anything from these type of shops?
    Looking to buy a new sofa but wondered if they don't budge on their price even a few quid.

23 Comments

don't know but I think the dfs sale starts soon...

Haggle. What do you have to lose except a bit of face.

They have (usually) a few years of free credit - if you can afford to pay upfront, ask them to knock £100 or something off?

justanothercid

Arent they like sale 365 days a year and then theres another sale 365 nights a year? X)

I ordered a suite, didn't get any discount in the shop other than the "bank holiday" discounts already applied, but it took 6 months delivery, 4 months was promised (8-10 weeks promised in store when we purchased, but we agreed to 4 months a weeks late when called).

As the various sales flexed during this period, I emailed customers services and had the difference refunded.

As the delivery was 2 months late, I had the delivery fee also refunded.

Overall cost saved was around £600.

I purchased from Harvey's, would I deal with them again... No!

mutley1

Arent they like sale 365 days a year and then theres another sale 365 … Arent they like sale 365 days a year and then theres another sale 365 nights a year? X)

I think that was the joke...

I'd always ask in shops where they're paid commission, it's in their interest to sell you a sofa and you'll probably get a better deal if you go to a retail park where there's a few sofa shops.

a few years back I successfully haggled with Curry's on the price of a microwave but it meant finding a similar specced microwave at a competitor.

Banned

Offer them the most you're prepared to pay, then either up it to something you're comfortable with, or walk into the next shop, rinse and repeat.

They're all commission based, target driven, percentage etc make them earn it!

Not sure you will with made to order stuff, but can't see an issue with end of line or ex-display ones especially if you are wanting more than one.

justanothercid

Doesn't it end today? Or yesterday? Or is it tomorrow?

my understanding is they don't haggle unless you are buying on finance. my experience with dfs twice is that they don't but i have twice been a cash buyer.

no harm in asking.

BTW although delivery is slow, the sofas are great and the service is fantastic.

DFS do not haggle, tried numerous times over the years. Best thing is your locally based sofa shops, they always haggle.

miikeyblue

Doesn't it end today? Or yesterday? Or is it tomorrow?

yes

I got mine from SCS and got 20% discount on a sale price item admittedly i walked off can checked other places on the same park too. It was a little quicker than they initially expected it to come.

Original Poster

Thanks guys, looked at dfs, Scs and Harvey's neither budge on price.
    Came home to look online because Harvey's had 7% quidco if bought online and look go spend £1100
    In the end just ordered from Argos, £600 and found 20%code so had £122 off making 490 odd. Pleased with that as the sofa came with great reviews.

dfs sofas use the best leather in their show rooms and they have extra padding to make them look better you will pay extra for best leather and sides and back will be made from something else other than leather mine looked crap after about 1 year would not go to dfs again

GAVINLEWISHUKD

Not sure you will with made to order stuff, but can't see an issue with … Not sure you will with made to order stuff, but can't see an issue with end of line or ex-display ones especially if you are wanting more than one.

Might get 3 for the price of 2. X)

I know it doesn't matter now as you've ordered from Argos but we bought our sofa from SCS and we told them we were going to go home and order online and use TCB.The sales person has never heard of it so they went to ask the Manager and they said they would knock the cashback off the sofa there and then as OH showed them the info from TCB on his phone.

The guy totally messed up the figures though and we got a lot more off it than we should have done X)

They wont haggle, but they have deals instore - the sofa I went for was reduced for lime green, but no way was I having that colour in my lounge.
    They sent me an e-mail to ask how was it going after a month or so, I mentioned to them that it was losing a bit of support in my favourite spot to sit and they sent a guy around to add extra filler to give it more support! Now that's what I call good customer service.

DFS would rather you go via the finance option than haggle in price even though you pay in cash.

DFS have had legal issues with giving cash discounts .....

If they give say 5% discount for cash then there is an arguement that the "free" x-years credit is not really free! Hence teh reason why they will not offer cash discounts ..

I guess the same legal arguement applies to other stores offering so called free credit .. as is the norm in teh furniture business

EliTom

Original Poster

I was gonna show them the 7% at Harvey's and good job missus said we'll go home to check as they wouldn't have fitted anyway lol.

I bought from them 18 months ago ... I haggled about £150 off the price (around 1800 for 2 sofas) and refused the delivery cost ... Be prepared to walk away as you can always go back the following week if they refuse... Irrelevant if cash or credit as its interest free credit anyway .... Too late for the original poster but for anyone else
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Whats a Good VPN to use please?1821
      2. How easy is it to get a refund from Halfords?57
      3. Does anybody have a ( Uni days code) I can use for ( TomTom) please11
      4. Query on retail selling on beer22

See more discussions