Haggling with Tesco Mobile?

Found 30th Jun 2016
I've been with Tesco for well over a year or two now so I can cancel my contract whenever.

I pay about £10 pcm for 1gb of data but I would much rather have say 2gb data and like 100mins/100texts (i currently have 1000/5000). What has your experience been when negotiating a lower price?

I see that they have a 2gb offer for £11pcm so I may go for that and scrap the haggling but what are your opinions?

Also, would having my tesco sim only contract give me a better credit score?
Community Updates
AskMobilesMobile Phone
13 Comments
they are not very good at giving a better deal ,but they are good I would stick with them .
I was with Tesco for about 4 years and got nowhere haggling but like the guy above says they are good so stick with them
I've been with I.d mobile for 6 month,no probs. 30 day rolling contract, £7.50 month for 250 min,5000 texts and 2gb of 4g data( 12 month then halves to 1gb). Runs on 3 network, the £10 deal they have is also good.
I'm with tesco mobile. 2gig. 500min. Unlimited text. £10pm. 12 months contract. I phoned them in December and they offered it me. Just asked what sim only contracts they had with 2gig data. Got a £10 gift card to.
I have the same contact as you trojanh, they wouldn't move but it's the first time in over 15 years that I haven't had any problems with a provider so I'm staying anyway
The current deal is £11 a month and a £20 gift card for 2g data a belive, making it about £9 something a month,

Try cancelling and taking a new 12 month sim, the guys in the shop will help I'd bet. Another sale for them
I got my dad to call Three yesterday as his contract expired in 2015. They knocked him from a 1GB/600min/500text for £11.50 a month to 4GB/AYCE text/AYCE minutes for £16. For the best deals sometimes you just have to cut that umbilical cord and fly.

SIM only contracts probably won't affect your credit score as much as you think, but arrears are arrears, and when lenders see the '1', '2', '3' in the payment history (the months in arrears) they will be cautious. If you're going to try to use a SIM only deal to boost your credit score, you're not going to get much from it. For a great credit score just make sure:
You don't move house too often.
You don't move bank too often.
You don't move employer too often.
You pay everything when it's due.
You don't make more than two credit applications in six months.
You're on the electoral role.

Not always easy if you're private rented or a consultant/contractor (which I am both) but I've managed to stay in my current property for three years and was in my last job for three years and my Experian 'score' came back at 997. The score means nothing really, but 997 out of 1000 is better than a smack in the face.
I'm with Tesco too! 750mins, 5000txts and 2GB of data...... £12.50pm rolling. Never had any issues with them when I wanted extra data. Tbh they don't really do any pay monthly/yearly deals other than the ones stated on their website.
You can get 500mins 5000 texts and 4gb of 4g data £10 monthly rolling contract with id mobile
dkl_uk

I got my dad to call Three yesterday as his contract expired in 2015. … I got my dad to call Three yesterday as his contract expired in 2015. They knocked him from a 1GB/600min/500text for £11.50 a month to 4GB/AYCE text/AYCE minutes for £16. For the best deals sometimes you just have to cut that umbilical cord and fly.SIM only contracts probably won't affect your credit score as much as you think, but arrears are arrears, and when lenders see the '1', '2', '3' in the payment history (the months in arrears) they will be cautious. If you're going to try to use a SIM only deal to boost your credit score, you're not going to get much from it. For a great credit score just make sure:You don't move house too often.You don't move bank too often.You don't move employer too often.You pay everything when it's due.You don't make more than two credit applications in six months.You're on the electoral role.Not always easy if you're private rented or a consultant/contractor (which I am both) but I've managed to stay in my current property for three years and was in my last job for three years and my Experian 'score' came back at 997. The score means nothing really, but 997 out of 1000 is better than a smack in the face.

Nice last bragging paragraph lol
How weird so many have been marked down for giving info/advice, sad really, probably just because the word tesco is mentioned. Me, my wife and boys have been with tesco mobile for 7 or 8 years. Never been a able to beat their deals. Good luck though. Watch me get marked down now.
cornishscouse

How weird so many have been marked down for giving info/advice, sad … How weird so many have been marked down for giving info/advice, sad really, probably just because the word tesco is mentioned. Me, my wife and boys have been with tesco mobile for 7 or 8 years. Never been a able to beat their deals. Good luck though. Watch me get marked down now.

Can't beat the deals I recommended above?
I've had no problems whatsoever with Tesco for over 2 years now. Any minor inconvinience was dealt with in less than ten minutes. In fact, today I called and got put to a customer service HUMAN within ten seconds! It cut out so I redialed, and got put on with someone else, in under ten seconds too!

I didn't get the best deal but I did:

Move from 1000/5000/1.25gb
to
250/5000/2.25gb

I average 100 mins a month (over 2 years so 250mins is huge for me anyway). Quite happy with it as data is the only thing I wanted. Stayed away from ID mobile because of Three coverage (**** poor) & because of its lackluster service. Didn't go Vodafone for the same reasons either. EE was realistically my only option as it had even better coverage but for a worse service and a higher cost, it wasn't worth changing - especially as they can hike prices mid contract.

All in all, glad I stayed with Tesco for another 12. My contract is something I can forget about. That's how it should be and that's how it's always been.
Edited by: "trojanh" 2nd Jul 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions