Haggling with utility companies.

Found 3rd Sep 2017
I am with British Gas and coming to the end of my fixed deal. Their prices have gone up a lot. Has anybody here tried haggling with them the way you can with Sky, EE etc. for a good retention deal.

I have found a cheaper deal with Eon but unfortunately I have a smart meter I want to keep and I don't think think they are compatible. This makes it difficult for me to switch.
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Im in the same boat and have a smart meter it wouldnt bother me switching,im not 100% sure but would imagine its only the smart meter reader that would need to be replaced,cant imagine the whole meter would need replaced so that would be an easy fix
Don't bother haggling , their various rates are solid , you can't haggle with utility companies - but you could and should compare (u switch for example) and switch . Take into account any cashback (TCB / Quidco) , do a bit of simple maths and save yourself a fortune .
You can still switch to most utility providers if you have a smart meter. If they don't have the ability to read it then you just provide the meter readings.
Smart meters installed since early 2016 should be universal to work with any utility provider who has the ability to read smart meters
ItShMe4 h, 41 m ago

You can still switch to most utility providers if you have a smart meter. …You can still switch to most utility providers if you have a smart meter. If they don't have the ability to read it then you just provide the meter readings.Smart meters installed since early 2016 should be universal to work with any utility provider who has the ability to read smart meters

Only the second generation of smart meters are compatible with all providers and these aren't being introduced until next year. It's a scandal of the highest order that we all pay for these meters via higher bills yet they are already not fit for purpose

theguardian.com/mon…ity
Edited by: "chocci" 4th Sep 2017
Im in the same boat...I am plumping for Avro Energy, think I will need to supply readings manually!
as mentioned above, you can't haggle on rates but you can usually get a "reward" out of them. My last two renewals with BG, I've got a £75 Amazon voucher and a Hive lighting kit (worth £150) - it didn't hurt that they were one of the best priced at the time, mind.
Might be worth monitoring MSE Energy Club for the next week or so. Rumours of another collective fix around the end of Sept.
Thank you for your replies. I have compared and Eon have come out best for me. I am nervous about going with the smaller companies as reviews say the switchover can be problematic. And I definitely want to keep my operating smart meter.

I am with the MSE Energy Club but the last I heard was Martin was advising those of us coming up to expiry, October 3rd) to look around as he had nothing in the pipeline.
Edited by: "r4rcm" 4th Sep 2017
From the MSE site just now.
Want a cheap deal from a big supplier? You can now register for our next collective switch - you've got until 11.59pm on Monday 4 September to get involved. It's not a market-leading deal like some of our previous collectives, but it's a cheap tariff from a major supplier.

Just said it was worth monitoring, as ML has already stated its not going to be a killer deal. My fix is up for renewal in Oct, but most of the best deals are with firms that have little or no feedback, except Avro, which has been around for a bit. I tend to partly select on customer service.
Airbus330 thank you for that information. I have just checked and I am registered. I have also been looking at the MSE forum and there is nothing about this happening today even though the last post on this subject was today. MSE don't seem to be shouting about it. Maybe it is not very good
I would guess that if the registration deadline is tonight, whatever is on offer will be announced tomorrow, but I had heard it might be on the 6th. Never know, ML might come up trumps again! But I'm not optimistic.
Well, he didn't come up with much. EDF, but the savings are less than many of the small suppliers.
Thanks for the info airbus330. I haven't had so much as an email about anything. There are a lot of comments on the forum. Not very complimentary. The new unit rates are not much less than the new BG rates. The daily standing charge is a lot less. As I want to keep my smart meter functionality I think I will just have to stick with BG for now.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants