Hale Village, Tottenham north london

Found 1st Oct 2012
I'm interested in a property at the new Tottenham development Hale Village.

Anyone here live there & is it a good place to live ?
Community Updates
MiscLondonTottenham
36 Comments
I'm no expert regarding London but I would personally avoid Tottenham like the plague (and not just because I might support the other team down the road)
Im guessing that Hale Village is a new name, and as such unless people know the new development they wont know where you mean. Do you have another road name to go by?
Banned
cdm22

I'm no expert regarding London but I would personally avoid Tottenham … I'm no expert regarding London but I would personally avoid Tottenham like the plague (and not just because I might support the other team down the road)

Always good to hear from supporters of the O's
Actually now realising that it is somewhere near Tottenham Hale, I would say its not the best of areas. Extremely busy trafficwise.
Best thing going for it is the transport links
High crime area with drug problems locally. If you have a car you will have difficulty parking unless there is allocated parking.

Pluses are good links, reasonable shopping facilities.
Edited by: "WoolyM" 1st Oct 2012
Original Poster
WoolyM

Actually now realising that it is somewhere near Tottenham Hale, I would … Actually now realising that it is somewhere near Tottenham Hale, I would say its not the best of areas. Extremely busy trafficwise.Best thing going for it is the transport linksHigh crime area with drug problems locally. If you have a car you will have difficulty parking unless there is allocated parking.Pluses are good links, reasonable shopping facilities.

The development is along Ferry Lane Tottenham Hale. As you say transport links are good and it is nice to have the retail park nearby. I think the property would have good resale value in future due to regeneration of the area but there's no parking, lot's of traffic and just the thought of it being Tottenham is a worry because of its reputation although the area and development looks nice.
Google will tell you all you need to know
There is a massive redevelopment in the area, with lots of new housing being provided. The name village is a misnomer as there will be nothing villagey about it. It is urban high density housing. As it is a new development there are often new facilities that have to be provided.

You will need to decide what your priorities are and whether living there will answer those needs.
shaz3885

The development is along Ferry Lane Tottenham Hale. As you say transport … The development is along Ferry Lane Tottenham Hale. As you say transport links are good and it is nice to have the retail park nearby. I think the property would have good resale value in future due to regeneration of the area but there's no parking, lot's of traffic and just the thought of it being Tottenham is a worry because of its reputation although the area and development looks nice.

Good advice I was given many years ago is to always buy the worst house in a good area rather than the best house in a bad area. I think that would rule out buying anything in Tottenham. (_;)
I have never lived in London, but I would of thought being near a tube station is a priority?

do you really need a car in London?
Banned
Tottenham is a crap hole, but for some like RonPlum, it would represent a step up the social ladder to live there.
It's a **** hole
Aeschylus

I have never lived in London, but I would of thought being near a tube … I have never lived in London, but I would of thought being near a tube station is a priority? do you really need a car in London?

I suppose being without one means one less thing to be nicked or vandalised.
There you go. Another plus point.
Original Poster
Aeschylus

I have never lived in London, but I would of thought being near a tube … I have never lived in London, but I would of thought being near a tube station is a priority?do you really need a car in London?

Tube station is right round the corner which is what I'm after as i don't drive yet but intend to in future. Problem is the development has a no car policy
not a good area

however has others have said there are plans and ongoing already a hell of a lot of money being pumped into the area

whether this will work i have my doubts but there certainly trying
Original Poster
See guys i am torn between this or the new Innova park development in Enfield Lock. I know Tottenham Hale a bit but Innova Park is completely new to me and i don't know the area at all. Which area would you go for out of the two? Any advice much appreciated
Out of the 2 areas I would say Enfield Lock is the better choice from a living point of view. It will be further from central London so will cost more in money and time if working in the centre of town. But in terms of safety, I believe that Enfield is better than Tottenham Hale.

Tottenham Hale has a scary feel about it after dark. And sometimes it feels that way during daylight hours as well. You will get metropolitan if thats what you are looking for though.
Banned
WoolyM

Tottenham Hale has a scary feel about it after dark. And sometimes it … Tottenham Hale has a scary feel about it after dark. And sometimes it feels that way during daylight hours as well.

Racist.
guv

Racist.

Listen you. Button it. I reckon many blokes would feel the same way whether they admit it or not. But I certainly dont think its the safest of areas for women after dark.

And stop following me
Edited by: "WoolyM" 1st Oct 2012
Original Poster
WoolyM

Out of the 2 areas I would say Enfield Lock is the better choice from a … Out of the 2 areas I would say Enfield Lock is the better choice from a living point of view. It will be further from central London so will cost more in money and time if working in the centre of town. But in terms of safety, I believe that Enfield is better than Tottenham Hale.Tottenham Hale has a scary feel about it after dark. And sometimes it feels that way during daylight hours as well. You will get metropolitan if thats what you are looking for though.

Yes i have visited both places and there is a big difference in that Tottenham hale feels like the city and is so busy and has people everywhere. Enfield however was the opposite, very quiet and has a lot of greenery around although being so quiet it felt a bit deserted and also maybe dangerous if walking alone at night.
The thing is, in the future car ownership may be restricted due to lack of fossil fuels and a lack of effort being applied to finding alternative means. So maybe the whole way of life will change.

In such an instance being closer to transport links may be a good thing. But you will never get a villagey feel if you are close to a transport hub. Its a different style of living.

You need to determine what your immediate requirements are. It may prove true, but could be a poisoned chalice to hope that buying in a particular area will provide a greater financial return in the future. What happens if there is a market crash and you are forced to live in the area for longer than you choose. Is is somewhere you would want to put down roots for a long time.

Of course, you could always opt to rent out a property. But you will never be free of it that way.

Like I said, you need to really decide what you feel are the most important things to you.
I have never understood the love affair with cars in a major metropolis, sitting in a traffic jam for 2 hours everyday is not my idea of fun, yet people refuse to get out of their cars, but then I never understood why you are not allowed to look at people on the tube
Edited by: "Aeschylus" 1st Oct 2012
Aeschylus

I have never understood the love affair with cars in a major metropolis, … I have never understood the love affair with cars in a major metropolis, sitting in a traffic jam for 2 hours everyday is not my idea of fun, yet people refuse to get out of their cars, but then I never understand why you are not allowed to look at people on the tube

Expect when commuting into London to the O2 eh?
There would be more road space for Londoners if the yokels would leave their cars at home (_;)
WoolyM

Expect when commuting into London to the O2 eh?There would be more road … Expect when commuting into London to the O2 eh?There would be more road space for Londoners if the yokels would leave their cars at home (_;)

I tried everything to use public transport, driving to Ely, Cambridge, Peterborough to catch the train in, all of them left it tight for me to get from 02 to Kings Cross, trust me driving was my last choice
Edited by: "Aeschylus" 1st Oct 2012
Aeschylus

I tried everything to use public transport, driving to Ely, Cambridge, … I tried everything to use public transport, driving to Ely, Cambridge, Peterborough, all of them left it tight for me to get from 02 to Kings Cross, trust me driving was my last choice

Maybe you should look to support the London economy then by stopping over and spending some £s in the local area. Just saying
WoolyM

Maybe you should look to support the London economy then by stopping over … Maybe you should look to support the London economy then by stopping over and spending some £s in the local area. Just saying

Have to do the school run so not an option, but we could go on, why do Radiohead only have to appear in Manchester and London
Aeschylus

Have to do the school run so not an option, but we could go on, why do … Have to do the school run so not an option, but we could go on, why do Radiohead only have to appear in Manchester and London

Dont know if they play at festivals. But they are often in farmers fields.
Original Poster
Well guys i have just done a night time scope of both Tottenham hale village and Enfield Lock. Surprisingly Tottenham comes up top for security despite its reputation. The streets are well lit near the tube station and there were people around. I saw the developments security officer walkig around too checking the place out which was reassuring.

Enfield Lock however was extremely quiet and felt deserted. Coming off the train i sort of walked along with the people who just got off but once they had gone their own ways there was not a soul on the street. Lighting along the road towards the development was also not very good here and as a young woman, i felt worried walking alone despite it being only 7.30pm!
i am a property investor and i have an investment property in tottenham hale so i know the area very well. i could have ended up with a few there but circumstances prevented me buying more at the time.

what do you need to know OP?
Original Poster
mutley1

i am a property investor and i have an investment property in tottenham … i am a property investor and i have an investment property in tottenham hale so i know the area very well. i could have ended up with a few there but circumstances prevented me buying more at the time.what do you need to know OP?

I just wanted know what the area is like to live in and whether Hale Village is worth investing in. I know there is a lot of investment and regeneration going on in the area so i hope it to give me a good return in a few years. The property i want to buy is via shared ownership only and they don't sell outright so i am having to go down this route rather than buying in full. I do however plan to buy the full share as soon as i am in there if i do end up going for it. Only down side is no parking and the fact the building runs on a prepayment energy system: Ener-G switch 2 card for gas and electric which you cannot change.
I dont know what type of property you are proposing to buy but from looking at google results I am guessing thats it will be a flat/appartment in either case.

If this is so you would also need to do your homework with regards to maintenance costs on shared parts if you decide to buy outright. There have been instances of massive repair charges for maintenance for external or shared areas.

Familiarity may well be pointing you in the direction of Tottenham Hale, but my opinion is unchanged having occasionally travelled through the area after dark/late at night. I dont know whether the Enfield development is populated at the moment but in case it is empty at the moment you would need to take into account the extra people who would be about if it was fully occupied.

Tottenham Hale would be in a different transport zone which may or may not be beneficial.
mutley1

i am a property investor and i have an investment property in tottenham … i am a property investor and i have an investment property in tottenham hale so i know the area very well. i could have ended up with a few there but circumstances prevented me buying more at the time.what do you need to know OP?

Maybe you and the op should talk turkey
Original Poster
WoolyM

I dont know what type of property you are proposing to buy but from … I dont know what type of property you are proposing to buy but from looking at google results I am guessing thats it will be a flat/appartment in either case.If this is so you would also need to do your homework with regards to maintenance costs on shared parts if you decide to buy outright. There have been instances of massive repair charges for maintenance for external or shared areas. Familiarity may well be pointing you in the direction of Tottenham Hale, but my opinion is unchanged having occasionally travelled through the area after dark/late at night. I dont know whether the Enfield development is populated at the moment but in case it is empty at the moment you would need to take into account the extra people who would be about if it was fully occupied. Tottenham Hale would be in a different transport zone which may or may not be beneficial.

Well the building is Coppermill Heights in Hale Village. It's a brand new development and really is a nice building. The flat is ok but living area long & narrow which i hate. In all honesty i don't see myself living there for very long due to the smallish size of the flat, being stuck with a prepayment energy system and no car policy. I am already aware of service charges and additional costs which i found a bit expensive too compared to other properties i've seen. Can i ask what it is that you found concerning when you travelled through the area at night?

The Enfield development has a bigger flat with parking and is not busy, busy with people like Tottenham is. Nearly all the flats and houses are sold but yet it is so quiet there, also i just didn't feel safe walking there earlier by myself.
Edited by: "shaz3885" 1st Oct 2012
Original Poster
WoolyM

Lol!
WoolyM

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/dat%20ass/grand/45333329-dat-ass-.gif & http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/dat%20ass/grand/45333329-dat-ass-.gif
shaz3885

I just wanted know what the area is like to live in and whether Hale … I just wanted know what the area is like to live in and whether Hale Village is worth investing in. I know there is a lot of investment and regeneration going on in the area so i hope it to give me a good return in a few years. The property i want to buy is via shared ownership only and they don't sell outright so i am having to go down this route rather than buying in full. I do however plan to buy the full share as soon as i am in there if i do end up going for it. Only down side is no parking and the fact the building runs on a prepayment energy system: Ener-G switch 2 card for gas and electric which you cannot change.

shared ownership is not an investment vehicle and is designed for those who want to have their own home but can not afford it.

Tottenham Hale is very different to Tottenham. It is a much nicer, cleaner and quieter than Tottenham which can be quite rough. It will be difficult to make money on the property you describe and you are unlikely to make any profit on property investment in the current climate within a few years.

You need to hold assets for 10 - 15 years to make real capital growth profit.
shaz3885

Well the building is Coppermill Heights in Hale Village. It's a brand new … Well the building is Coppermill Heights in Hale Village. It's a brand new development and really is a nice building. The flat is ok but living area long & narrow which i hate. In all honesty i don't see myself living there for very long due to the smallish size of the flat, being stuck with a prepayment energy system and no car policy. I am already aware of service charges and additional costs which i found a bit expensive too compared to other properties i've seen. Can i ask what it is that you found concerning when you travelled through the area at night?The Enfield development has a bigger flat with parking and is not busy, busy with people like Tottenham is. Nearly all the flats and houses are sold but yet it is so quiet there, also i just didn't feel safe walking there earlier by myself.

The Tottenham Hale area is well known for drug dealing. There have been several stabbings that may be related to the drug issue in recent years. The one way system has been known to attract red light traffic if you know what I mean.
If we take the sounds of the two areas as a starting point.

In Enfield you are likely to hear the wind rustling, bird song and the occasional train passing by. With some traffic noise but mostly at rush hours.
Tottenham Hale is completely different. 24 hour traffic noise. Instead of birdsong there is the wail of sirens and car alarms.
shaz3885

See guys i am torn between this or the new Innova park development in … See guys i am torn between this or the new Innova park development in Enfield Lock. I know Tottenham Hale a bit but Innova Park is completely new to me and i don't know the area at all. Which area would you go for out of the two? Any advice much appreciated

I have worked in both area's and would choose Enfield over Tottenham every time, for all the reasons stated above.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions