Half a power cut!

Found 28th Jul
hi. just wondering if anyone can explain this... last night we had a short power cut, when it came back on the kettle wouldn't work, the fridge light was dim, the halogens in the bathroom were dim, etc. telly worked ,as did our router.
I think it was due to a voltage drop. any ideas? thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
Brown out. Low voltage level so most stuff will work. Do not use anything with a motor during this period as you will damage it. Most stuff will work out but anything that needs 240ish volts won't work right.
A lot of equipment is designed to work between 110-250ish volts.
As above.
A lot of electronic stuff is designed for international markets so can automatically accommodate a wide range of input voltage.
kester769 m ago

Brown out. Low voltage level so most stuff will work. Do not use anything …Brown out. Low voltage level so most stuff will work. Do not use anything with a motor during this period as you will damage it. Most stuff will work out but anything that needs 240ish volts won't work right. A lot of equipment is designed to work between 110-250ish volts.

Cheers kester, thought it was. Everything is back on and working now. But your comment has me wondering about the fridge and freezer and possible motor damage, any thoughts?
unclejim2727 m ago

Cheers kester, thought it was. Everything is back on and working now. But …Cheers kester, thought it was. Everything is back on and working now. But your comment has me wondering about the fridge and freezer and possible motor damage, any thoughts?

Should be ok but didn't think of that. It's stuff like washing machines, food mixers and vacuum cleaners. I guess anything with a high torque motor.
It sounds like there was a fault on the network, and to get you back on quickly they have reconfigured the network with the use of link boxes.

The problem with this is that when they reconfigure the network, there may be more customers fed from another cable or transformer that has a limited capacity.

So with all those extra customers using electricity, it drops the voltage.

Once they have fixed the fault, they change back the network to how it should have been, again you would have another short power cut whilst this is done.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants