Half decent laptop for the mother?

Posted 8th Apr
Hi all.

My mother currently uses a 6-7 year old Laptop that is starting to get to the point of unusable. The CPU is ranked as around the 950th best CPU (out of 1150~).

i replaced the HDD with an SSD to give it some life but it still doesnt run as nicely as it should. I think the CPU is letting it down plus the demanding windows 10

Is there any half decent laptops out there at a good price currently? probably wanting to spend no more than £200-300.

I can take the SSD out that I bought and put it into the new laptop, so it doesnt need to have an SSD already just a slot for one.

Cheers.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
Get a Asus Chromebook
All depends what she wants to use a PC for? If its just browsing the net, social media, emails, online shopping I would say convert the existing PC to Linux or buy a decent tablet - android or apple. If you stick with a windows machine then you will get the same problem next year, the year after etc
Have you tried reformatting it, before deciding it's useless?
Answer = No.

Do a clean install on the SSD, if you want to save money.
If that doesn't improve your user experience, then buy a new one.
If you do buy a new one, I would still recommend a clean install and not cloning from one drive to another.
Derek_Lancelot_Shatwell1 h, 33 m ago

Have you tried reformatting it, before deciding it's useless?Answer = …Have you tried reformatting it, before deciding it's useless?Answer = No.Do a clean install on the SSD, if you want to save money.If that doesn't improve your user experience, then buy a new one.If you do buy a new one, I would still recommend a clean install and not cloning from one drive to another.

It was a brand new SSD used to replace the 6-7 year old HDD.

When you assume it makes an ASS out of U and ME.
it could be slow processor x rubbisher onboard graphics / low ram blah blah blah

ssd's only help with loading times as the transfer speed is increased (vs previous technology), ...if you have a slow processor then it is still going to process information slowly... (sometimes you need to overhaul).

i would just look for a second hand / ex buisness one via refurb/ebay with 4gb RAM / preferably quad core processor (dual core fine) at or above 1.5ghz and then as big a screen size as required (i.e. guessing 15.6" or more).

(if she has been computing away on it to this point, then one imagines she doesn't need a quantum computer going foreward.)

guessing expecting to pay ~£150 upwards via ebay, argos ebay sometimes has some deals often on as new refurbs well within your budget though (?)

(i wouldn't buy a brand new one really, for somebody to simply check emails etc).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions