HALFORDS AUTOCENTRE BROKE MY CAR

Found 4th Feb
Took my car in for service and mot ,when i went to collect the car they said it cut out on test drive ,its never done that before, .They found the problem , on the previous service they broke a pipe off the diesel filter and clued it back on now it has broken off so they now have to fit a new filter housing .picked the car up on wednesday ,yesterday it started chugging ,so i stopped the car became hard to start , then went in limp mode .Now when i start it ,the car for about 2mins won't go over 20 miles an hour then its back with full power and the engine malfunction light comes on ..Any help from a proper mechanic would be grateful . thank you
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
23 Comments
write to Honest John and letters@honestjohn.co.uk. Keep the story short and punchy. He is a motoring journalist and is extremely helpful in situations like this. But equally, he is bluntly honest and may say you have no proof.
Try changing ur filters sounds like they are clogged and this is a cheap job in the grand scheme it was also the last thing I tired when my car was going into limp mode..
Original Poster
Tank you . Both oil and diesel filters have been changed ,could an air lock in the diesel cause the problem .
Bluetooth odb reader for your car (fairly cheap) with torque lite on your phone would allow you to know what is being reported as at fault and going to limp mode.
Assume you have told the garage that something is amiss since getting it back?
Edited by: "Bertz99" 4th Feb
was it the same garage that had broken the pipe originally? was this Halfords on both occasions?
Original Poster
Yes it was halfords , they replaced the diesel filter housing for free .
presto551 h, 9 m ago

Yes it was halfords , they replaced the diesel filter housing for free .

Well they admitted liabity so they need to put it right.
Original Poster
iam taking the car first thing back to halfords .
Original Poster
Problem sorted thanks to green flag halfords left the pipe disconnected from the air box .
They are useless in that place . Took advantage of a offer they had on . £79 for a intermediate service . Service was done but paying and leaving was a nightmare, they try and tell you everything is wrong with your car and sell you products . He recommended changing my tyres as there was only 4mm left ! Changing my brake pads ( 8 months old ) . And few other things . I then told him I only used their service as they had a £79 offer on and Vauxhall wanted £210 for the same intermediate service and he went all angry a virtually kicked me out as I wouldn’t accept all his lies .
Edited by: "yozzman1234" 4th Feb
I wouldn’t let Halfords go near my sons scooter let alone my car. Stay well clear
Dannyrobbo8 m ago

I wouldn’t let Halfords go near my sons scooter let alone my car. Stay w …I wouldn’t let Halfords go near my sons scooter let alone my car. Stay well clear

That sounds like your cars safety is more important than your sons scooter
jayonline8553 m ago

That sounds like your cars safety is more important than your sons scooter …That sounds like your cars safety is more important than your sons scooter

I don’t think there would be much left of any of us after a serious car accident, some grazed knees they can handle. Also there’s the fact it has only two moving parts and requires little servicing was the point I was making
Dannyrobbo13 m ago

I don’t think there would be much left of any of us after a serious car a …I don’t think there would be much left of any of us after a serious car accident, some grazed knees they can handle. Also there’s the fact it has only two moving parts and requires little servicing was the point I was making

2 moving parts? I can think of at least 3 both wheels and handlebars and thats on the most basic ones.
yozzman12344 h, 33 m ago

They are useless in that place . Took advantage of a offer they had on . …They are useless in that place . Took advantage of a offer they had on . £79 for a intermediate service . Service was done but paying and leaving was a nightmare, they try and tell you everything is wrong with your car and sell you products . He recommended changing my tyres as there was only 4mm left ! Changing my brake pads ( 8 months old ) . And few other things . I then told him I only used their service as they had a £79 offer on and Vauxhall wanted £210 for the same intermediate service and he went all angry a virtually kicked me out as I wouldn’t accept all his lies .

Much of a muchness in these type of places. Colleague of mine (a 20 year old girl) took her 3 year old car in to Formula One for a service and MOT deal as it was a cheap combined price. I told her this was just to get the chance to upsell. Sure enough, they called her back and said there was work to be done - £450 quids worth. She thought this work was mandatory. I asked her what they'd said about the MOT - it passed with no advisories.
Told her to get a breakdown of the work they were quoting - it was basically cabin filters, tyre alignments and various bits of nonsense. Advised her to decline the quote - they got bolshy and told her the car needed removing from the forecourt within the hour!
Are you all aware that you can get MOTs done by local councils? They generally don't do repairs either, so there's no vested interest to fail you in the hope you'll spend.

moneysavingexpert.com/tra…mot
LemonHead3 h, 0 m ago

Are you all aware that you can get MOTs done by local councils? They …Are you all aware that you can get MOTs done by local councils? They generally don't do repairs either, so there's no vested interest to fail you in the hope you'll spend.https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-mot

I use a garage that only does HGV repairs to get the bikes tested, now I have a car too I will be taking it there too for the same reason, they just aren't going to find work for the sake if they aren't going to profit.

Having said that one of the workers is a scooter fanatic so when I collected one of the 2 strokes I had he said he had given me a free carb tune and I could tell the difference straight off. Thats the one thing I struggle with dialling carbs in. I bought a £100 scooter with no mot and took it there and it has flown through 2 MOT's now with only routine servicing. I only had a single almost MOT fail (he told me before putting paperwork through and said if I can fix it quick it'll not go as a fail) and that was due to horn not working, the bloody main road outside the garage was being resurfaced and rough, the spade connector had worked loose, gave it a quick reach around (ooeer missus) and fixed it straight pass after.
harlzter12 m ago

I use a garage that only does HGV repairs to get the bikes tested, now I …I use a garage that only does HGV repairs to get the bikes tested, now I have a car too I will be taking it there too for the same reason, they just aren't going to find work for the sake if they aren't going to profit. Having said that one of the workers is a scooter fanatic so when I collected one of the 2 strokes I had he said he had given me a free carb tune and I could tell the difference straight off. Thats the one thing I struggle with dialling carbs in. I bought a £100 scooter with no mot and took it there and it has flown through 2 MOT's now with only routine servicing. I only had a single almost MOT fail (he told me before putting paperwork through and said if I can fix it quick it'll not go as a fail) and that was due to horn not working, the bloody main road outside the garage was being resurfaced and rough, the spade connector had worked loose, gave it a quick reach around (ooeer missus) and fixed it straight pass after.

Are there any cons (as in pros and cons) with using council run MOT centres that we should know about?
Edited by: "LemonHead" 5th Feb
LemonHead3 m ago

Are there any cons (as in pros and cons) with using council run MOT …Are there any cons (as in pros and cons) with using council run MOT centres that we should know about?

They will be very strict and stick to every rule, whereas some garages take a common sense approach and may put something as an advisory they will be by the book.

Edit: should add the garage I use is a private one that only works on HGV's and is a DAF approved centre.
Edited by: "harlzter" 5th Feb
yozzman123421 h, 50 m ago

They are useless in that place . Took advantage of a offer they had on . …They are useless in that place . Took advantage of a offer they had on . £79 for a intermediate service . Service was done but paying and leaving was a nightmare, they try and tell you everything is wrong with your car and sell you products . He recommended changing my tyres as there was only 4mm left ! Changing my brake pads ( 8 months old ) . And few other things . I then told him I only used their service as they had a £79 offer on and Vauxhall wanted £210 for the same intermediate service and he went all angry a virtually kicked me out as I wouldn’t accept all his lies .

Thats a fairly common practice these days, when I had ordered some parts from the BMW dealer for a old E28 (they were the cheapest by far), the service manager came out and offered me a free health check. Mainly as his lads hadn't seen a M535i in the flesh.

Once he had done, I was presented with a long list of work that "needed" doing, It added up to 26k! which would have brought it back to the condition it left the factory.

Outside he told me It didn't actually need anything other than a couple of the trailing arm bushes would need replacing in the next 6 months. I did sell it to a chap who wanted to make it concourse, but doubt he would use a dealer.
Dannyrobbo22 h, 8 m ago

I don’t think there would be much left of any of us after a serious car a …I don’t think there would be much left of any of us after a serious car accident, some grazed knees they can handle. Also there’s the fact it has only two moving parts and requires little servicing was the point I was making

Wow, you think a serious moped crash would only give you grazed knees? My friends brother came off a motorbike (not a moped but still only got 2 moving parts as you put it) in a head on collision in North Wales, his body came off the bike, flipped upside down hit the cars windscreen and his head was taken clean off with his eyes still open in a helmet 100 metres down the road, the cars airbags went off and the driver was fine. A person in a car during a crash is much safer than someone on a moped or motorcycle.
jayonline8513 h, 22 m ago

Wow, you think a serious moped crash would only give you grazed knees? Wow, you think a serious moped crash would only give you grazed knees? My friends brother came off a motorbike (not a moped but still only got 2 moving parts as you put it) in a head on collision in North Wales, his body came off the bike, flipped upside down hit the cars windscreen and his head was taken clean off with his eyes still open in a helmet 100 metres down the road, the cars airbags went off and the driver was fine. A person in a car during a crash is much safer than someone on a moped or motorcycle.

Course not, it’s powered by foot. Sorry to hear about your mates brother though.
Best way to do MOTs is with garages that dont actually repair your car make. I always use a Renault dealer near my home £28.50 for the MOT and free retest. They don't service other makers and have no interest of inventing jobs!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions