halfords headlight bulb replacement

Found 2nd Nov 2015
Has anyone used Halfords to replace their headlight bulbs? Apparently my car can be a nightmare to replace the bulb (driver side). I don't mind paying to have it done as I don't to spend a long time doing it, and then having the risk of not being able to do it.
If anyone have used their services, were you happy with it, and was the final price reasonable? Thanks
Community Updates
AskBulb
26 Comments
they changed my headlight bulb with the blub and changing charged me £17. I went 9.00 and was changed at 9.40 because there was another customer in front of me changing battery. excellent service highly recommend them
I usually find the main dealer will fit it for me free if if just stand there staring at it looking stupid long enough and bulbs aren't the sort of thing they charge silly money for.
It was a few years ago but I got them to do it in my car at the time had the battery and some other bits block easy access to the nearside headlight fitting. To get access enough to replace it required taking out the battery and taking out a couple of other bits that were in the way. With that I decided to get them to make the swap for me. Price was reasonable for the 30minutes it took them to do it, and I didn't have to get my hands dirty. I would normally do it myself but it was just a matter of convenience.
wajid644

they changed my headlight bulb with the blub and changing charged me £17. … they changed my headlight bulb with the blub and changing charged me £17. I went 9.00 and was changed at 9.40 because there was another customer in front of me changing battery. excellent service highly recommend them

What ?? Sorry dont really understand what you mean. I went 9.00 and was changed at 9.40. ?? I know you mean £9.00 and £9.40 but still makes no sense to me.
anyway, yes i've used halfords, and its well worth paying, especially if you have a car that has a bulb thats awkward to fit.
cornishscouse

What ?? Sorry dont really understand what you mean. I went 9.00 and was … What ?? Sorry dont really understand what you mean. I went 9.00 and was changed at 9.40. ?? I know you mean £9.00 and £9.40 but still makes no sense to me. anyway, yes i've used halfords, and its well worth paying, especially if you have a car that has a bulb thats awkward to fit.

nah he said 9am, and got served 9.40am
What car do you have?

£17 for a bulb and changing a bulb is robbery.
thecoolguy

oh, my bad. Got it now, thanks
thecoolguy

​what I meant was I went at 9.00am changed at 9.40am.
What car?
Thanks guys, it's a Citroen C3, was going to use to go to work tonight and when i put my headlight on, both went out. I took my wife car (Nissan Quashqai) only to notice that the passenger side has gone too oO. Will call to Halfords tomorrow and get it done
last time I got mine done at the MOT station free of charge, just told them the bulb was out and needed changing before they started the test.
Took a peugeot 206 2 liter in for a driver side bulb and they refused to fit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VIDqGh1Esw
here you go my pal
full instructions
there are some more vids
just a quick question, apparently if you put your finger on the glass of the bulb, it may shorten its lifespan. If I use Halfords to do it, and let's say 4 or 5 months later the bulb goes out again, do you think i get some kind of "warranty"?
Thanks
Argoj

Took a peugeot 206 2 liter in for a driver side bulb and they refused to … Took a peugeot 206 2 liter in for a driver side bulb and they refused to fit.

Easier to take the headlight out
Employ a small child for 50p they have small hands that fit in the rediculous gap. However, I got my daughter to do mine (VW golf gti petrol version ! ) small but 22 years old. She thought 50p was a bit stingie. Seriously though, Halfords have a sliding charge. removing head light can cause directional beam problems.
take out AA or RAC basic they'll do it for the price of their/your bulb?
Bradleigh

Yes that was the route I took. Still not an easy job. removal of front grill and partial removal of the bumper. not a easy replacement of a bulb.
Pfff, do it yourself op. 'What doesn't kill you' and all that.. Trial and error. Du wanna shell out near twenty squids everytime a bulb goes out?
samwants2save

Pfff, do it yourself op. 'What doesn't kill you' and all that.. Trial and … Pfff, do it yourself op. 'What doesn't kill you' and all that.. Trial and error. Du wanna shell out near twenty squids everytime a bulb goes out?

Good luck with that the amount of people i get trying to do themselves and either frying fuses losing clips etc

Some cars are easy to do take minutes i dnt chatge for that. Others you hve to remove headlight or even the wheel arch liner

I know for a fact citroen charge half hour labour for certain c3 models. All depends on which side it is and which engine etc
Bradleigh

The offside is the easy side. The nearside is harder because of the ABS pump.

I worry about people that can't change a bulb or a wheel.

Nobody knows how to do it from the off but if you're too lazy to learn then carry on getting robbed by Halfords.
jeannot18

Thanks guys, it's a Citroen C3, was going to use to go to work tonight … Thanks guys, it's a Citroen C3, was going to use to go to work tonight and when i put my headlight on, both went out. I took my wife car (Nissan Quashqai) only to notice that the passenger side has gone too oO. Will call to Halfords tomorrow and get it done

Are you sure its the bulbs and not the fuse. Strange for the 2 to go together.
At the end i called my mobile mechanic, he replaced 2 H7 and a H1 on the citroen (I don't know at this point if there is a under-laying problem with the electrics), and another H7 on the Nissan. I paid £35, i know seems like a lot but he provided the bulbs, and spent around 40/45mins to do it all. Yes I could have done it myself, but after spending the day at the hospital, waiting around for ages, i just did not need that stress today. If they go off again, I will look into it and do it myself.
J
We had one done on a Zafira B (and it didn't catch fire!!) because it needed access via the wheel arch liner. Cost all in about £12 and took the guy 10 mins, not the easiest of jobs. Just thought for the money, if he messed up its guaranteed, if I messed up its the cost of another bulb at least....
I've used Halfords but more recently found a couple of independent car accessory shops that will supply and fit for £8-10, so may be worth asking if you have any local ones.
I've used Halfords but more recently found a couple of independent car accessory shops that will supply and fit for £8-10, so may be worth asking if you have any local ones.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants