Expired

Halfords Major Service (looks worst experience)

Found 29th Nov 2013
I had a Major service done through Halfords Auto Centre in July, the car started showing low level coolant some days ago, did open the bonnet and found out missing pipping also dipstick broken.

Went to Halfords, they filled little bit coolant and told me may be front of the dipstick fall down some time ago, also the pipping is not necessary. Just checked the engine oil (after about only 2000miles) and it looks very dirty. I am worried if they did the Job properly, Can I ask what can I do please?

7 Comments

Seen some bad reviews for Halfords, which is why I decided to take my car to a normal garage earlier this year for air con service.

You should check your oil, water and tyres each week , kwik fit next week then .

Find out if they are members of the retail motor industry good garage scheme if they are you can seek arbitration and possibly redress via that route.

Coolant loss and sludge around the oil filler cap ( the oil looks dirty ) could be a sign of a leaking cylinder head gasket, keep checking your coolant level before every journey and get someone with experience of engines to take a look.
If it is your cylinder head gasket the car will start to overheat when the engine is under load ie. going up a steep hill and gradually lose power until it finally stops.
If your gasket has gone then you may need to have the cylinder head reground before replacing the gasket - not cheap - It will get worse with continued use.

Go back and ask them why there are things missing, and don't go back again, they are like Kwik Fit and ATS but they do more jobs, which in my eyes is worse.

A service is not a guarantee the car will be fault free throughout the year. If it has been ok until now, there is likely that a leak has developed somewhere. What car is it? On some older cars, there is an engine pre-heat hose that is attached between the exhaust manifold and air filter housing. They do deteriorate with time and is a very simple job to replace. Will not affect engine running but may take longer to warm up so worth doing. Hose should be about £5. Broken dipstick would need replacement. This would be debatable as to who broke but not expensive to replace. It is normal for oil to be dirty after 2,000 miles. What car is it? I'm guessing a Golf or Audi A2/A3 perhaps. If so, have the water pump checked for leakage.

Original Poster

The Therapist

A service is not a guarantee the car will be fault free throughout the … A service is not a guarantee the car will be fault free throughout the year. If it has been ok until now, there is likely that a leak has developed somewhere. What car is it? On some older cars, there is an engine pre-heat hose that is attached between the exhaust manifold and air filter housing. They do deteriorate with time and is a very simple job to replace. Will not affect engine running but may take longer to warm up so worth doing. Hose should be about £5. Broken dipstick would need replacement. This would be debatable as to who broke but not expensive to replace. It is normal for oil to be dirty after 2,000 miles. What car is it? I'm guessing a Golf or Audi A2/A3 perhaps. If so, have the water pump checked for leakage.

Thank you for the explanation, I am having service done through private garages since more than 9+ years. This was my first experience with Halfords, now things missing also broken things found in the car after the service.

As far I as know, the person first told me the coolant is suppose to work for 2 years as soon as I told him the service done through yourself (Halfords), he pointed out the leak but there was not any leak. So he put little bit coolant in the car again. Also about he dipstick, according the the person (Halfords) may be the top part of the dipstick fall down in the oil. He told me, don't worry it will mix with the oil and will not damage the car. I don't understand, how the tip of the dipstick broke so that I will not be able to check the engine oil.

The car is Peugeot 307 and I never had any problem with the service either of the cars I was having. It looks like they have not done their job properly.
Post a comment
@
    Text