Halfords messed my car up! What do I do now?

Found 30th Sep 2015
So i bought a used car back in june 2015 and i thought i get my car checked for safety by Halfords. They said it will take two hours so i left my car there and they said they will contact me. After 3hours no reply so i rang em myself annd they said they were ringing (which is total ********) me but didnt get reply. The report came back saying there are many faults with the car and quoted about £900 to repair.

Now my car is making noise (coming from the rear left side) which was not there before. i did not find out till i left halfords autocare centre. In the report they said they need to do something in rear end. not just that my left headlight is not working and both rear lights.....i thought maybe it wasnt working in the first place (my mom has been driving previously) so when i got home asked my mom about the lights and she said they were all working and the last time she used the car was last night.

bare in mind there was not a single fault with the car prior to taking it there. i just took to check things that could possible need replacing anytime soon as the car will be used frequently on the motor. (it was halfords 15 point safety check they do for free).

I contacted they customer service as the autocare centre closes at 5:30 and they just apologised and said specific store will contact me. thing is the way the staff was it all seemed dodgy and i believe they will deny that they did anything

52 Comments

know how to check fuses? might be a blown fuse that needs replacing. now sure about that noise (needs a new disk/brake pads?)

Original Poster

digitalray

know how to check fuses? might be a blown fuse that needs replacing. now … know how to check fuses? might be a blown fuse that needs replacing. now sure about that noise (needs a new disk/brake pads?)

the noise was not there when i took the car there. No i don't know its my first car and my first insurance. but i generally just watch a video on youtube if i need to fix something so wont be a problem
Edited by: "xPabloz" 30th Sep 2015

Exhaust? Also the lights. Simple issue repace bulbs.

Taking a car to halfords is never a good idea, bunch of useless you know whats. If I was you I'd check to see if you still have any bulbs in the sockets and the noise is probably a screwdriver that they have left in there.

Original Poster

i

bigweapon07

how do i know which one i need? i found couple on europarts but there are soo many for my car

Original Poster

i

bigweapon07

how do i know which one i need? i found couple on europarts but there are soo many for my car
Wolfout

Taking a car to halfords is never a good idea, bunch of useless you know … Taking a car to halfords is never a good idea, bunch of useless you know whats. If I was you I'd check to see if you still have any bulbs in the sockets and the noise is probably a screwdriver that they have left in there.

the noise is like something is rubbing against something so if i drive slow you cant hear it but as you increase speed so does the sound.

take it else where for 2nd opinion

there may well have been faults
youre not a mechanic, you didnt get it checked out by say AA before buying and you took it to somewhere to look over and its not new.
but id def get a 2nd opinion

Original Poster

mrwhitelabel

take it else where for 2nd opinionthere may well have been faultsyoure … take it else where for 2nd opinionthere may well have been faultsyoure not a mechanic, you didnt get it checked out by say AA before buying and you took it to somewhere to look over and its not new.but id def get a 2nd opinion

am not denying it there might be some faults with it i dont know but you dont start hearing noises and lights dont work after getting your car checked for any faults.

edit: my mom has been driving this car for 4months
Edited by: "xPabloz" 30th Sep 2015

Don't take it to Kwik Fit though they really can sniff out a sucker!

Original Poster

gazdoubleu

i will just take it to local garage

I've only ever had great service from my local Halfords Autocentre (Little Sutton) who had every opportunity to inflate work on a dying Ford KA. They were helpful and straight forward.

I too suggest you do follow mrwhitelabels advice and get second opinion. I assume it's a bit older with no dealer warranty?

Original Poster

developers

I've only ever had great service from my local Halfords Autocentre … I've only ever had great service from my local Halfords Autocentre (Little Sutton) who had every opportunity to inflate work on a dying Ford KA. They were helpful and straight forward.I too suggest you do follow mrwhitelabels advice and get second opinion. I assume it's a bit older with no dealer warranty?

i will do. its 56 plate 95.5k miles and yes

Original Poster

while waiting a lady was really annoyed becuase she was charged almost double the price of what they had told her earlier on so she had to pay and another man came in and they kept changing their statements as to what work they need to carry out on his car and that order wronh stuff twice and other ********
Edited by moderator: "Sep 30, 2015 21:04" 30th Sep 2015

Ask friends and family if they know of a good reputable mechanic and get them to look at it. If the car is mechanically sound then it shouldn't be that expensive. We use a guy local to us and not only is he miles cheaper than main dealers he will often just fix something he finds and not even charge us except for the parts. Find a good mechanic and keep using them as long as you own a car. Build up a rapport with them and they will look after you.

So i bought a used car back in june 2015 and i thought i get my car … So i bought a used car back in june 2015 and i thought i get my car checked for safety by Halfords

That there is your problem

my suggestion would be same as readingbrown99
my advice never take car more than 3yrs old to reputed garage saying that they will do " " point check.They just add to the bill which does not required to be done.
I used to take my mondeo (11yrs old) to ford garage for service.they gave check of the car and gave me bill for about 2K when my value of my car is £2500.So i took it to my local garage my friend knows. the mechanic said not even a single thing needs to be change and since been 2yrs without any trouble or breakdown.
afterwards service the car with same guy only

Original Poster

kjcoolcat

That there is your problem

i cannot disagree with this

Original Poster

pepsi007

my suggestion would be same as readingbrown99 my advice never take car … my suggestion would be same as readingbrown99 my advice never take car more than 3yrs old to reputed garage saying that they will do " " point check.They just add to the bill which does not required to be done.I used to take my mondeo (11yrs old) to ford garage for service.they gave check of the car and gave me bill for about 2K when my value of my car is £2500.So i took it to my local garage my friend knows. the mechanic said not even a single thing needs to be change and since been 2yrs without any trouble or breakdown.afterwards service the car with same guy only

my mom has been going to same garage for past 10 years so will take this there and see what they say

Brake pads is probably your noise. I doubt they would make your car make noises or steal bulbs lol. What kind of car u got?

gazdoubleu

They fixed my exhaust system by resealing it for nothing. Depends on the staff i think

Original Poster

123batman321

Brake pads is probably your noise. I doubt they would make your car make … Brake pads is probably your noise. I doubt they would make your car make noises or steal bulbs lol. What kind of car u got?

Renault Clio. how can my bulbs all of sudden stop working? its possible but not 7 bulbs in matter of few hours? like i said before the car has been running smoothly and quite good in terms of fuel but soon i drove off the car started making noises which we have not heard since the day we bought it.

i dont know how they check things but according to them they said they opened this and that and took things apart (said will be done with in 2hrs took over 4 and i had to wait for 1 n half hours cuz over tge phone they said its ready got there and they said its still on the ramp n they putting things back together )

Garages that offer free mots and point checks use it as a ploy to get their hands on your car so they can drum up trade. How many ppl really pick up their motor and pay for nowt.

You didn't mention which Halfords it was. I'd research that branch and see if any other customers have been complaining on-line of similar or other issues in that they're trying to get more ££ out of people. If there is, maybe contacting someone like BBC watchdog or one of them shows where they send in an undercover car to catch them out could be on the cards
Agree with the others, get a 2nd opinion and explain your experience to them too.

Original Poster

TDog123

Garages that offer free mots and point checks use it as a ploy to get … Garages that offer free mots and point checks use it as a ploy to get their hands on your car so they can drum up trade. How many ppl really pick up their motor and pay for nowt.

would you say they have done something to my car? or whatever they said in the report was mostly lies (it came back with almost a page full of faults)

Original Poster

RFC1795

You didn't mention which Halfords it was. I'd research that branch and … You didn't mention which Halfords it was. I'd research that branch and see if any other customers have been complaining on-line of similar or other issues in that they're trying to get more ££ out of people. If there is, maybe contacting someone like BBC watchdog or one of them shows where they send in an undercover car to catch them out could be on the cards :pAgree with the others, get a 2nd opinion and explain your experience to them too.

it was the one based in Accrington. i searched online found no review for this specific store

xPabloz

it was the one based in Accrington. i searched online found no review … it was the one based in Accrington. i searched online found no review for this specific store

Halfords Autocentre
Milnshaw Ln, Accrington
Write a review
2 reviews
Sort by:
Most helpful
Katharine Roberts
Katharine Roberts
a month ago
Terrible service. They Failed my cars MOT because it "needed a rear number plate bulb holder" Halfords quoted £25 plus VAT plus fitting. took my car home and my boyfriend changed the bulb for £0.75p. They also said I needed a new rear seatbelt, they quote £85.00 plus vat plus fitting, they said that they would have to fit as "I wouldn't know what torque to set the seatbelt at" my boyfriend opened the seatbelt buckle, put the spring back in place, hey presto, it worked. Done.
If they fail your car, I would get a second opinion from another garage.
I will not be going there again and I will not be recommending Halfords to anyone!

^^^That sounds about right, never trust Halfords, Kwik fit, or any other large franchise of Garage/not centres they're all just out to make as much money as possible as they have sales targets to meet and the managers are normally being paid a bonus based on parts sales, it just encourages them to mis-sell parts and work you don't actually need to have done.

Garage/MOT centres

My local Halfords have been brilliant - so far have had free brake fluid and air-con recharge.

Shame they aren't all like that.

The moral of the story is 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'.

Original Poster

perrioli

The moral of the story is 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'.

yes learnt it the hard way

I have never had anything but fantastic service from my local halfords and have recommended friends and family and they too have had fantastic service. hope you get your car sorted.

Story just seems a bit hard to believe to me. Yes bigger garages tend to give u huge lists of so called problems but i have never heard of them removjng bulbs etc. Far better just using smaller local garage

Is not really the case, but the trick is to take your car to a garage that would not gain servicing it.

Eg: I have a Saab and do my M.O.T on a Renault Garage. They don't service other makes so they won't look for faults to fix.
Edited by: "gcmarcal" 1st Oct 2015

my brother took his car to Halfords garage for a simple job. they completely ballsed it up. they took responsibility for it after much arguing. what a farce of garage that was.

gcmarcal

Is not really the case, but the trick is to take your car to a garage … Is not really the case, but the trick is to take your car to a garage that would not gain servicing it.Eg: I have a Saab and do my M.O.T on a Renault Garage. They don't service other makes so they won't look for faults to fix.

I agree - took my 10 year old Seat Leon to a jaguar main dealer - £35 for the MOT and they valeted it inside and out!

I am a mechanic at halfords
U should av checked ur car before it left not like weeks later and start to say my cars makeing noises and its got this fault and was never there when i left the car
Prove it u aint gettin no where with out it

Avoid Kwik-Fit in Banbury AT ALL COSTS - they are total vultures

I'm confused you bought car in June.
Was it taken to Halfords in June ?
Faults found in September ?

Original Poster

fisco2001

I'm confused you bought car in June. Was it taken to Halfords in June … I'm confused you bought car in June. Was it taken to Halfords in June ?Faults found in September ?

it was bought in june and was insured on under my moms name but now got new insurance and myself as second driver
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions