Halfords "road ready check" vs MOT vs service?

Posted 18th JulEdited by:"JohnnyFwaa"
Haven't been driving much over lockdown and the car seems to be in poor shape. Wouldn't start the other day, but fixed that with a charger. Now I hear a strange rattling coming from outside (possibly the wheels), which increases with speed.

The MOT is due in 2 months. I don't really want to shell out for the service given I won't be driving much at all, so I was thinking to get first the road ready check: halfords.com/mot…tml then the MOT, but now am thinking I might have to get the service before the MOT.

Which combo of the 3 (road ready check, MOT, service) would you recommend? Am thinking Halfords probably won't know about the rattling, so it'd go on to fail the MOT on this basis.
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Mich8ll818/07/2020 14:51

...I would do your health check as they’ll be able to advise you more on w …...I would do your health check as they’ll be able to advise you more on what to do next if service/mot or other way around and that way your not shelling out unnecessary payments that you don’t need to(y)

That's very close to putting "Halfords" and "not shelling out unnecessary payments" in same sentence which would normally result in uncontrollable guffawious hilarity.
Take it for the RR check. Halfords will find everything that needs doing and more.
18 Comments
Take it for the RR check. Halfords will find everything that needs doing and more.
Halfords won’t check your car mechanically so wouldn’t waste your time with them.

Servicing the car before MOT is a waste of money. Find a decent local garage and get a MOT, you can get it done in about a month:

An MOT can be carried out up one month, minus a day, prior to the expiry date of your existing MOTcertificate, whilst still preserving the anniversary of the expiry date. If you have your test carried out a month before the due date, your MOT is effectively valid for 13 months.

See how it does and how much repairs cost if anything. You can mention the rattle and they may have a quick look. Then decide if you want to keep it etc.

To find a decent garage, check FB for recommendations, your town should have its own group where you can search or post the question yourself.
Edited by: "Candystore" 18th Jul
My service is always due just before my mot (sept) and always repairing anything that flags up at service before mot but last year the guy told me it’s better to get my mot done first as flags up the same probs as the service....I always book in for a health check on car which was just done yesterday as that will advise you on smaller probs like the one you want to find out about at the moment....obviously everyone will give different advice but since I’ve been put wise to it...this year I’ve done health check...mot next and then my service...I would do your health check as they’ll be able to advise you more on what to do next if service/mot or other way around and that way your not shelling out unnecessary payments that you don’t need to(y)

...I would do your health check as they’ll be able to advise you more on w …...I would do your health check as they’ll be able to advise you more on what to do next if service/mot or other way around and that way your not shelling out unnecessary payments that you don’t need to(y)

That's very close to putting "Halfords" and "not shelling out unnecessary payments" in same sentence which would normally result in uncontrollable guffawious hilarity.

My service is always due just before my mot (sept) and always repairing …My service is always due just before my mot (sept) and always repairing anything that flags up at service before mot but last year the guy told me it’s better to get my mot done first as flags up the same probs as the service....I always book in for a health check on car which was just done yesterday as that will advise you on smaller probs like the one you want to find out about at the moment....obviously everyone will give different advice but since I’ve been put wise to it...this year I’ve done health check...mot next and then my service...I would do your health check as they’ll be able to advise you more on what to do next if service/mot or other way around and that way your not shelling out unnecessary payments that you don’t need to(y)

Andy hit the nail on the head, don’t waste your time with a health check or your bank balance on what they will “find”
I wouldn't combine any of them, I'd keep them as separate items. First, forget the health check, as mentioned it's not worth it. Second, if the car is due a service then get it serviced, if not then leave it. Then lastly, get the MOT done on time. No need to think that one is a substitute for another. Yes, maybe the MOT might pick up service items and vice versa, but an MOT wouldn't include an oil change, and a service won't give you the piece of paper you need to stay legal.

Having said that, if you have a known fault, there's no point taking it to an MOT and inviting failure (or even an unnecessary advisory). Highlight it as a potential issue to be checked at the service, or if the service isn't essential then still take it in to be investigated.
Really does it need to be said, You admit your car is in poor shape and can hear an external rattle..

Your responsibility is to make sure you car is roadworthy and safe for yourself, passengers and others on the road, so its simple take you car to a garage and get it sorted out.. or scrap it and buy something road worthy.

MOT isn't about trying to win a game of chance, if you can hear a fault then pretty much 100% the MOT inspector will find it too.

Also a service isnt a Pre MOT check and that is what you want, followed by repairs..
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 18th Jul
Thanks for replies everyone.
I am leaning towards getting all 3 - health check (Halfords is just up the road, and free if I don't let them do any extra work), MOT and service.

KwikFit quote £150 for MOT and service after student discount which seems reasonable in my limited experience. Does anyone have any experience in whether the big guys like KwikFit are rip-offs compared to smaller garages (not that Id be able to choose any; I'd have to ask around)

Thanks again
Better to use a local independent garage that has an MOT station. Most towns have one. Sometimes you can estimate their quality via the reviews in Google maps.
JohnnyFwaa18/07/2020 23:31

Thanks for replies everyone.I am leaning towards getting all 3 - health …Thanks for replies everyone.I am leaning towards getting all 3 - health check (Halfords is just up the road, and free if I don't let them do any extra work), MOT and service.KwikFit quote £150 for MOT and service after student discount which seems reasonable in my limited experience. Does anyone have any experience in whether the big guys like KwikFit are rip-offs compared to smaller garages (not that Id be able to choose any; I'd have to ask around)Thanks again

Do not go to KwikFit. An MOT, when not discounted is £55ish. A student discount with them is going to be 10-15% so it says it all! They will find a lot that needs doing and quite likely will just do it without checking with you first/advising you of the cost. Granted a service usually will include a slight MOT discount, and bigger chains do offer MOT discounts. Don't forget VAT on top.

If you don't have friends or family who can recommend a local garage - take at look at Honest John's Garage Guide.
JimboParrot19/07/2020 08:08

Do not go to KwikFit. An MOT, when not discounted is £55ish. A student …Do not go to KwikFit. An MOT, when not discounted is £55ish. A student discount with them is going to be 10-15% so it says it all! They will find a lot that needs doing and quite likely will just do it without checking with you first/advising you of the cost. Granted a service usually will include a slight MOT discount, and bigger chains do offer MOT discounts. Don't forget VAT on top.If you don't have friends or family who can recommend a local garage - take at look at Honest John's Garage Guide.

Will take a look at the guide.
But the £150 includes MOT and service. Is that not a reasonable price for the two of them? (Then whether they'll overcharge for the repair work my car will inevitably need is a separate question)
JohnnyFwaa19/07/2020 11:34

Will take a look at the guide.But the £150 includes MOT and service. Is …Will take a look at the guide.But the £150 includes MOT and service. Is that not a reasonable price for the two of them? (Then whether they'll overcharge for the repair work my car will inevitably need is a separate question)

Sorry, it wasn't clear. I meant that was so cheap they are bound to find a host of things wrong. Which car and what age? A basic service was up until recently about £130 with my local mechanic and a £10 discount for the MOT at the same time, plus the inevitable VAT. A basic service, from memory, include an oil change and spark plugs.
JimboParrot19/07/2020 11:45

Sorry, it wasn't clear. I meant that was so cheap they are bound to find …Sorry, it wasn't clear. I meant that was so cheap they are bound to find a host of things wrong. Which car and what age? A basic service was up until recently about £130 with my local mechanic and a £10 discount for the MOT at the same time, plus the inevitable VAT. A basic service, from memory, include an oil change and spark plugs.

Ah, I see.
2009 Hyundai i10
Why is it that people think the big chains like Halfords and KwikFit are more likely to rip people off on the repairs than the small local garages?
JohnnyFwaa19/07/2020 11:53

Ah, I see. 2009 Hyundai i10Why is it that people think the big chains like …Ah, I see. 2009 Hyundai i10Why is it that people think the big chains like Halfords and KwikFit are more likely to rip people off on the repairs than the small local garages?

They have much bigger overheads and need to make profits. A local garage may just be one mechanic who will charge an hourly rate and needs to be good to get repeat business and recommendations. He is quite likely to charge parts at cost price, and of course unless his taxable turnover is £85,000 pa he will not add VAT (or at least not on labour charges).

I have not used KwikFit for many years, but know of others who have to take their company leased vehicles to them as the leasing company needs a nationwide service for puncture, tyres etc. The service and attitude they receive leaves a lot to be desired!
+1 for reputable small independent garage

I get a service done and then it sails through the MOT usually.
Don’t go to Halfords. Everyone I know has had a bad experience. Use a local independent, if money is particularly tight let them know and ask them to give a quote before fixing anything (good ones do this anyway for more expensive jobs).
JohnnyFwaa18/07/2020 23:31

Thanks for replies everyone.I am leaning towards getting all 3 - health …Thanks for replies everyone.I am leaning towards getting all 3 - health check (Halfords is just up the road, and free if I don't let them do any extra work), MOT and service.KwikFit quote £150 for MOT and service after student discount which seems reasonable in my limited experience. Does anyone have any experience in whether the big guys like KwikFit are rip-offs compared to smaller garages (not that Id be able to choose any; I'd have to ask around)Thanks again

I honestly didn’t think it could get worse when I replied this morning and you were thinking about Halfords but you then went down an even bigger hole with Kwik Fit. Go to a small recommended independent garage and avoid the big guys unless you want a massive bill for work that isn’t needed.
Just had a quote from the local garage.
£240, compared to kwik fit's £150. But KwikFit would more than catch up with the repairs?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants