Halfords - what a rip-off - £47.99 for a new wiper blade!!

Found 2nd Jul
2973613-7zaVn.jpg
My car failed it's MOT, so they rang and said it would be £160 to pass it.
I'm so glad I told them I would go elsewhere, but I had no idea until they gave me this that £47.99 of it was to replace just one windscreen wiper blade, just one of their own brand ones, it's an 11 year old car, nothing flash.

Surely this is criminal! Who the hell would pay that?

Can this kind of thing be reported anywhere, I can't keep thinking about how many people have been unwittingly ripped off by them, I nearly was!
Community Updates
MiscCar Parts
Top comments
deleted396333
I thought it was common knowledge that Halfords is a rip-off
33 Comments
Go find a independent garage and get to know them. Although no friends in business, with a local firm you at least get to know and trust them to deliver value and service. Jmo
Edited by: "wayners" 2nd Jul
That’s not criminal. It’s just their prices. Choosing whether to pay them or not is your decision.
This is why I personally hate owning a car. I always feel most people in this profession are crooks. Just warn everyone you know about how poor they are.
I don't know the exact details of your car, but based on 2007 1.4 Golf these are Halfords prices.

I would advise you find the exact part you need on their website and then ring their complaints department. See what (if any) justification they come up with to warrant the difference.

All the best.
I've never been to a MOT station myself. Every year I give my car to a friend who is a mechanic and knows the garages in his area. He makes sure everything is ok before going to get the car MOTed. Since 1985 I have never had a MOT failure. Hopefully it will continue this way
The CV joint fix should be £50. If it's a much simpler fix with a cable tie, it should only be a fiver
deleted396333
Itsbowtime2nd Jul

I don't know the exact details of your car, but based on 2007 1.4 Golf …I don't know the exact details of your car, but based on 2007 1.4 Golf these are Halfords prices.I would advise you find the exact part you need on their website and then ring their complaints department. See what (if any) justification they come up with to warrant the difference. All the best.

To complain about what exactly? He took it for an MOT, they told him the price and he agreed. Any person in their right mind would avoid Halfords for an MOT and when it fails would you not ask what it’s failed on and for a price breakdown. If you are not happy take it for repair elsewhere and go back for a retest.

My rule of thumb when taking a car for an MOT is never ever take it to a place that does repairs too, it’s a total conflict of interest. My first car failed one year and I asked the guy who I take it to could he recommend a good garage and he replied “no” it seemed unhelpful at the time but at least he had no vested interests
Dannyrobbo15 m ago

To complain about what exactly? He took it for an MOT, they told him the …To complain about what exactly? He took it for an MOT, they told him the price and he agreed.

OP said 'I'm so glad I told them I would go elsewhere' and seemed only to be asking to try and prevent it happening to others:

'Can this kind of thing be reported anywhere, I can't keep thinking about how many people have been unwittingly ripped off by them, I nearly was!' (apologies I don't know how to quote OP in a comment)

I was merely stating Halfords complaints department so they may be able to offer OP an explanation.

Completely agree with you on never taking car for an MOT at a garage that does repairs.
Ouch, my ball joint cover was £2 then after spending about 4 hours trying to fit it ended up taking to an independent garage cost £20 to fit as the joint needed splitting to fit it then a press to fit it back together, the wipers cost me about £3 each and take two minutes to fix.

Glad I dont have a modern car that needs diagnostics computers for just about everything, air cooled carburettor engine means everything is simple (like me), no fancy electronics to fail, although I may upgrade from dizzy and points to electronic ignition.
47.99 including labour?

I dont see labour wuoted separatly ?
Dannyrobbo1 h, 24 m ago

To complain about what exactly? He took it for an MOT, they told him the …To complain about what exactly? He took it for an MOT, they told him the price and he agreed. Any person in their right mind would avoid Halfords for an MOT and when it fails would you not ask what it’s failed on and for a price breakdown. If you are not happy take it for repair elsewhere and go back for a retest.My rule of thumb when taking a car for an MOT is never ever take it to a place that does repairs too, it’s a total conflict of interest. My first car failed one year and I asked the guy who I take it to could he recommend a good garage and he replied “no” it seemed unhelpful at the time but at least he had no vested interests

"He" goes by the name amanda. I'm no detective but I'm guessing he is a she
Dannyrobbo1 h, 36 m ago

To complain about what exactly? He took it for an MOT, they told him the …To complain about what exactly? He took it for an MOT, they told him the price and he agreed. Any person in their right mind would avoid Halfords for an MOT and when it fails would you not ask what it’s failed on and for a price breakdown. If you are not happy take it for repair elsewhere and go back for a retest.My rule of thumb when taking a car for an MOT is never ever take it to a place that does repairs too, it’s a total conflict of interest. My first car failed one year and I asked the guy who I take it to could he recommend a good garage and he replied “no” it seemed unhelpful at the time but at least he had no vested interests

psychobitchfromhell12 m ago

"He" goes by the name amanda. I'm no detective but I'm guessing he is a she

Amanda....
deleted3963332nd Jul

never had a problem with them, used them for years, cars always pass, quotes for any work are competitive, tyres are competative.

TBH if you present for an MOT with basics like wipers, brakes, bulbs etc needing work you deserve to have to pay the idiot tax
eset1234528 m ago

never had a problem with them, used them for years, cars always pass, …never had a problem with them, used them for years, cars always pass, quotes for any work are competitive, tyres are competative.TBH if you present for an MOT with basics like wipers, brakes, bulbs etc needing work you deserve to have to pay the idiot tax

My car is now 12 years old, 120k miles, diesel. It always fails the mot on something simple which they fix - I make sure it fails by running running washer water out or putting in a duff bulb. My thinking behind this is that being an older car they will expect something to be defective. By giving them something to fail it on, they have no reason to be picky. The last mot, a week ago, it failed on a side light bulb which they replaced free of charge. Giving me two sheets of papers at the same time, one fail and one pass. It satisfies them as they are proving that they are doing the testing properly. Win win!

Incidental... Not Halfords.
Edited by: "mrty" 2nd Jul
Of course some people's experiences of these places differ. Same with kwikfit, Formula 1 etc.. etc..

I wouldn't ever have any of them MOT my car though, I know they'll find non existent work.
Itsbowtime2 h, 57 m ago

OP said 'I'm so glad I told them I would go elsewhere' and seemed only to …OP said 'I'm so glad I told them I would go elsewhere' and seemed only to be asking to try and prevent it happening to others:'Can this kind of thing be reported anywhere, I can't keep thinking about how many people have been unwittingly ripped off by them, I nearly was!' (apologies I don't know how to quote OP in a comment)I was merely stating Halfords complaints department so they may be able to offer OP an explanation. Completely agree with you on never taking car for an MOT at a garage that does repairs.

An explanation of what exactly though, their price list?

It should come as no suprise to anybody that an offer on an MOT, a cheap MOT or a garage that does repairs (usually all 3 combined) will be making up the cash elsewhere and will fail for jobs that cost very little in labour or parts but will be marked up by a good margin.

I misread the op and replied to you which sounded like it had been paid already. Parts are one thing but labour is rarely charged in fractions of hours.

anybody reading take your car to a council testing Center or try a place that doesn’t repair (but be mindful their mate might
That’s ridiculous. Halfrauds living up to the name. Never ever take your car there!
Tweet it!

£112 for a OUTER CV boot is criminal too.

Get it fixed elsewhere and take it back normally re-test is free.
Edited by: "ssc1" 2nd Jul
ssc14 m ago

Tweet it!£112 for a OUTER CV boot is criminal too.Get it fixed elsewhere …Tweet it!£112 for a OUTER CV boot is criminal too.Get it fixed elsewhere and take it back normally re-test is free.

I thought the re test was only free if you had the work done at the same outlet that failed you?
Op I can PM you the name and number of an excellent back street garage we and all our family use about 5 minutes from where you took it.been taking ours there for 20 odd years ever since I went to uni there. Dont live near but still take our car there.
Edited by: "eslick" 2nd Jul
Whoever thinks halfords auto centres are competitive or fairly priced are mad, when I rang them for a price on brake pads they were double the price of anyone else.
Never rang them again and would never put my car on for mot there
.MUFC.4 h, 33 m ago

Of course some people's experiences of these places differ. Same with …Of course some people's experiences of these places differ. Same with kwikfit, Formula 1 etc.. etc..I wouldn't ever have any of them MOT my car though, I know they'll find non existent work.

I've had the last 7 or 8 MOTs, over 2 cars, done with them and never had a fail yet. I must be lucky
deeky1 h, 8 m ago

I've had the last 7 or 8 MOTs, over 2 cars, done with them and never had a …I've had the last 7 or 8 MOTs, over 2 cars, done with them and never had a fail yet. I must be lucky

That is good :). Not so good when you're driving around in old bangers like I used too ;).
Perhaps they found your iPad in the glove compartment and thought ....
Itsbowtime8 h, 49 m ago

OP said 'I'm so glad I told them I would go elsewhere' and seemed only to …OP said 'I'm so glad I told them I would go elsewhere' and seemed only to be asking to try and prevent it happening to others:'Can this kind of thing be reported anywhere, I can't keep thinking about how many people have been unwittingly ripped off by them, I nearly was!' (apologies I don't know how to quote OP in a comment)I was merely stating Halfords complaints department so they may be able to offer OP an explanation. Completely agree with you on never taking car for an MOT at a garage that does repairs.

I'm an mot tester/mechanic, work for an independent, we test & repair.
It shouldn't ever be an issue where you get your mot done, it always amuses me that the armchair mot testers always moan about the test they've just had, but won't appeal it.
I'll make it easy for anyone that's not happy with thier mot, pass or fail. here is theVT 17 appeal form. Use it that's what it's there for.

richp5 m ago

I'm an mot tester/mechanic, work for an independent, we test & repair. It …I'm an mot tester/mechanic, work for an independent, we test & repair. It shouldn't ever be an issue where you get your mot done, it always amuses me that the armchair mot testers always moan about the test they've just had, but won't appeal it. I'll make it easy for anyone that's not happy with thier mot, pass or fail. here is theVT 17 appeal form. Use it that's what it's there for.

Blimey... Where you been hiding?
According to their website they charge £2 per wiper to fit. Assume they would fit a new set not a single and that would make it £43.99 for a pair. About a year ago I bought new front and rear windscreen wipers for my mark seven golf from halford s and it came to £41. I can see where they get the figures from on that basis but it is somewhat steep for an old banger
Predikuesi12 h, 41 m ago

I've never been to a MOT station myself. Every year I give my car to a …I've never been to a MOT station myself. Every year I give my car to a friend who is a mechanic and knows the garages in his area. He makes sure everything is ok before going to get the car MOTed. Since 1985 I have never had a MOT failure. Hopefully it will continue this way

What a great tip. All I need to do is go back in time before I was born and befriend your friend so I too can have cheap MOT's. Hot!
I was outraged my local garaged charged me £12 for one blade (admittedly bosch), £48 is mental.
miikeyblue3 h, 3 m ago

Blimey... Where you been hiding?

Bugger!! You've found me, OK your turn to hide now
dcx_badass37 m ago

I was outraged my local garaged charged me £12 for one blade (admittedly …I was outraged my local garaged charged me £12 for one blade (admittedly bosch), £48 is mental.

My £41 blades were bosch. Gone are the days they were all generic. If only. £41 for windscreen wipers is mad. I looked for cheaper but couldn't find any in the timescale as it was due mot and sure as eggs they were a failure. I fitted them myself. Feel good I've saved myself £6 now. Got 4p quidco too which eased the pain
The best in British culture, the managers are best of breed, and they are good traders to make Britain great again.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants