Halfords won't take back a SatNav

Found 12th Jan 2013
Hi
My dad purchased a SatNav from Halfords yesterday, then when he got home he realised the screen was not much bigger than the one he already had and saw a better one on Amazon with a bigger screen. He tried to return it the same day, but they said that he couldn't because it had been opened, and gave him some excuse about a software license or something?

The lady at the till told him that he could return (if he was not happy with hit) it when he originally bought it?

I see on their website it says "7.2. Satellite Navigation, DVD's, memory cards and software can only be exchanged if faulty or if returned unused with the original seal and wrapping intact. Personalised products and made-to-order products cannot be returned unless faulty."

Any advice is appreciated?
Community Updates
19 Comments
Shops have no legal obligation to take back a product that is not faulty. Buying from the web is different as you are covered by distance selling.
Edited by: "Paddy_o_furniture" 12th Jan 2013
Banned
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_14552_productId_701154_langId_-1_categoryId_173016

Quote from that.

Satellite Navigation, DVD's, memory cards and software can only be exchanged if faulty or if returned unused with the original seal and wrapping intact.

Edited by: "dbhoy" 12th Jan 2013
Say it's faulty, make summat up like not holding its charge and random shut down
No shops have to return unless faulty, best thing to do is try another store and a sympathetic staff member.
Websites are different as they have to adhere to distance selling regulations.
Unfortunately your dad's word against the till operator. If it's not faulty they have no obligation to take it back.
Do they have one with a larger screen in Halfords? They may be more likely to do an exchange, that way they keep the money in the till.
oddballjamie

Do they have one with a larger screen in Halfords? They may be more … Do they have one with a larger screen in Halfords? They may be more likely to do an exchange, that way they keep the money in the till.

The above is good advice, I would have thought they would exchange that way, otherwise you may have to sell on ebay and try and recoup your purchase price
zerowing

Say it's faulty, make summat up like not holding its charge and random … Say it's faulty, make summat up like not holding its charge and random shut down

I bought a Dust Buster in Argos that had that problem, charged it for two solid days and worked for about 10 seconds. Girl in the shop told me to wait while they charged it to see if I was telling the truth, then tried to fob me off with an exchange rather than a refund.
A quick out loud reading of their returns policy that was written next to her on a big sign sorted that out.

Gooner77: Was your Dad assisted in-store with the purchase? Did he mention the size of the screen of his existing product & that he wanted a significant increase to this?

If so, then he could request a refund as the newly purchased product is not fit for purpose, but if he selected the product himself without any assistance, bought it, then changed his mind, as mentioned above, the "Sale of Goods Act" is clear in that he is not entitled to a refund.

He could ask for a credit note for the store, but the Manager is not obliged to offer this either.

The only other ways of securing a refund are if the product does not match the description on the exterior packaging, or the manufacturing is not of satisfactory quality.
Edited by: "fanpages" 12th Jan 2013
Banned
It's a pity your Dad needed to use the new sat nav to get home from Halfords or it would still be sealed .
I bought a sat nav from there a while back, and complained that the screen was not sensitive enough (I just wanted to return it) - They would not let me do it without a return reference from TomTom - When I called them they were brilliant and gave me the reference, went into halfords with this and they refunded it. So you could do something likt that.
Original Poster
fanpages

Gooner77: Was your Dad assisted in-store with the purchase? Did he … Gooner77: Was your Dad assisted in-store with the purchase? Did he mention the size of the screen of his existing product & that he wanted a significant increase to this?If so, then he could request a refund as the newly purchase product is not fit for purpose, but if he selected the product himself without any assistance, bought it, then changed his mind, as mentioned above, the "Sale of Goods Act" is clear in that he is not entitled to a refund.He could ask for a credit note for the store, but the Manager is not obliged to offer this either.The only other ways of securing a refund are if the product does not match the description on the exterior packaging, or the manufacturing is not of satisfactory quality.

No I found it on-line for him and reserved it
Original Poster
aircanman

I bought a sat nav from there a while back, and complained that the … I bought a sat nav from there a while back, and complained that the screen was not sensitive enough (I just wanted to return it) - They would not let me do it without a return reference from TomTom - When I called them they were brilliant and gave me the reference, went into halfords with this and they refunded it. So you could do something likt that.

I'll look into this, cheers.
fanpages

Gooner77: Was your Dad assisted in-store with the purchase? Did he … Gooner77: Was your Dad assisted in-store with the purchase? Did he mention the size of the screen of his existing product & that he wanted a significant increase to this?If so, then he could request a refund as the newly purchase product is not fit for purpose, but if he selected the product himself without any assistance, bought it, then changed his mind, as mentioned above, the "Sale of Goods Act" is clear in that he is not entitled to a refund.He could ask for a credit note for the store, but the Manager is not obliged to offer this either.The only other ways of securing a refund are if the product does not match the description on the exterior packaging, or the manufacturing is not of satisfactory quality.

Gooner77

Look for inconsistencies in the description on the product page online compared to the functionality stated on the product packaging. See if you can make a case for sufficient misrepresentation.

In the future, if you are unsure of a product or buying by proxy, ensure the recipient sees the product in advance of purchasing.

Alternatively, use mail order & return any inappropriate purchases within seven days of receipt to ensure you receive a refund.

Not ideal but could you not buy an identical one online, return the unopened one to Halfords and the opened back to the online retailer. Not something I'd lower myself to doing but maybe others would
Original Poster
fanpages

Gooner77

I should have known, my dad is very indecisive (being in his 70's), but also I was quite surprised by their returns policy, anyway it's not the end of the world if he has to keep it.
Gooner77

I should have known, my dad is very indecisive (being in his 70's), but … I should have known, my dad is very indecisive (being in his 70's), but also I was quite surprised by their returns policy, anyway it's not the end of the world if he has to keep it.

Re-sale is also an option, as mentioned above. You may even make a profit on it with the right audience (i.e. an auction site).

Good luck.
Stop trying to con them and take it like a man. Its life you win some and lose some!
zerowing

Say it's faulty, make summat up like not holding its charge and random … Say it's faulty, make summat up like not holding its charge and random shut down

Just don't complain when you get shafted when the shoe is on the other foot.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants