Halifax Bank

Found 5th Feb 2015
I went into the Halifax on the 27/1/.2015 and deposited some checks for £410.. I know the lady as I had a bit of a spat with her before after my wife waited in line and she would not let her pay any checks in for me .. Now they are saying nothing was payed in that day I asked them to look at the security tape and they said that was not an option ..how do I resolve this I cant find the receipt but I know the amounts of the checks I paid in ?
Community Updates
AskHalifax
49 Comments
Can you get the cheques reissued?
Don't get the joke
miikeyblue

Can you get the cheques reissued?

I think so .. I'm wondering how this could have happened and if they should show me a copy of the video of me in there?
If you can get them reissued the originals should be cancelled. See if you can also get the original cheque numbers, take these to Halifax and tell them you don't want to be charged if they try to cash them and they bounce!
john2020md

I think so .. I'm wondering how this could have happened and if they … I think so .. I'm wondering how this could have happened and if they should show me a copy of the video of me in there?

I don't know the legalities of it tbh. I had an issue with a cheque in NatWest recently and it took ages to sort. Would have been easier for me to get them reissued!
john2020md

I think so .. I'm wondering how this could have happened and if they … I think so .. I'm wondering how this could have happened and if they should show me a copy of the video of me in there?

They were 6 checks some about 4 months old ?
John, I don't get it?
Maybe have a moan at them on Facebook or twitter, normally encourages them to pull their fingers out when they're getting pressure publicly.
miikeyblue

Maybe have a moan at them on Facebook or twitter, normally encourages … Maybe have a moan at them on Facebook or twitter, normally encourages them to pull their fingers out when they're getting pressure publicly.

I'm hoping I can sort it out .. Just wondering if I could trace the checks?
john2020md

I'm hoping I can sort it out .. Just wondering if I could trace the … I'm hoping I can sort it out .. Just wondering if I could trace the checks?

It took NatWest ages to find mine. For some reason it went through with a zero value, but apparently by the time I had spotted it, the cheque had already left the branch. In your case they say they have no record of them at all so it may be even harder.

For the sake of a quick resolution, I'd go for cancellation and reissue, as long as Halifax can promise you they won't charge you should the originals bounce.
Whoever issued the cheques won't re-issue them if they've been cashed. You need to contact them and if they have been cashed, get as much info as possible on the dates and where. Then go back to your bank and make an appointment with the manager and get him to explain what has happened and how he's going to sort it out.

If they haven't been cashed then perhaps you're mistaken about having taken them into the bank/paid them in. Have a good search around at home and if you can't find them, ask for them to be re-issued.

ceres

Whoever issued the cheques won't re-issue them if they've been cashed. … Whoever issued the cheques won't re-issue them if they've been cashed. You need to contact them and if they have been cashed, get as much info as possible on the dates and where. Then go back to your bank and make an appointment with the manager and get him to explain what has happened and how he's going to sort it out.If they haven't been cashed then perhaps you're mistaken about having taken them into the bank/paid them in. Have a good search around at home and if you can't find them, ask for them to be re-issued.

Of course... I was working on the theory that they'd just been lost by Halifax, but if they've been processed and the money is 'missing' that's a whole different ball game!
so you say Halifax issued a receipt for six cheques totalling £410 that you presented to be poaid into your account - and none have yet cleared and showing on your account?

Have you discussed this with teh branch manager? That woudl be my first action!

do you have anyother suppporting paperwork for any of the chrques.

I am assuming that you are suspecting the Halifax cashier of disposing of the cheques, which would be odd as this would be a serious matter.

EliTom
ceres

Whoever issued the cheques won't re-issue them if they've been cashed. … Whoever issued the cheques won't re-issue them if they've been cashed. You need to contact them and if they have been cashed, get as much info as possible on the dates and where. Then go back to your bank and make an appointment with the manager and get him to explain what has happened and how he's going to sort it out.If they haven't been cashed then perhaps you're mistaken about having taken them into the bank/paid them in. Have a good search around at home and if you can't find them, ask for them to be re-issued.

I'm quite certain I put them in last week as I had to get my car tax that day 100% ..
elitom

so you say Halifax issued a receipt for six cheques totalling £410 that … so you say Halifax issued a receipt for six cheques totalling £410 that you presented to be poaid into your account - and none have yet cleared and showing on your account?Have you discussed this with teh branch manager? That woudl be my first action!do you have anyother suppporting paperwork for any of the chrques.I am assuming that you are suspecting the Halifax cashier of disposing of the cheques, which would be odd as this would be a serious matter.EliTom

I'm not saying she did but as I said I did have a spat with her before?
Cheques John, cheques.
john2020md

I'm not saying she did but as I said I did have a spat with her before?

I have contacted the bank and they haven't rang back just seemed to think I didn't put them in and I know I did!
BarmyBulldog

Cheques John, cheques.

Thank you I couldnt think how to spell it my head had gone ..Calmed down now
I keep waiting for the punchline here.
john2020md

I'm quite certain I put them in last week as I had to get my car tax … I'm quite certain I put them in last week as I had to get my car tax that day 100% ..

so you are not 100% sure and you have no receipt!

FWIW it is highly unlikely that they have been cashed by any one else if they were made out in your name .... butu yes you will have an uphill struggle to get them re-issued if they came from commercial organisastions and only with a fee I guess

EliTom
miikeyblue

Of course... I was working on the theory that they'd just been lost by … Of course... I was working on the theory that they'd just been lost by Halifax, but if they've been processed and the money is 'missing' that's a whole different ball game!

I put them in if they are missing its happened after I paid them in..
john2020md

Thank you I couldnt think how to spell it my head had gone ..Calmed … Thank you I couldnt think how to spell it my head had gone ..Calmed down now

Hopefully you can get it resolved. Social media I find is always a quick way to get a proper response.
elitom

so you are not 100% sure and you have no receipt!FWIW it is highly … so you are not 100% sure and you have no receipt!FWIW it is highly unlikely that they have been cashed by any one else if they were made out in your name .... butu yes you will have an uphill struggle to get them re-issued if they came from commercial organisastions and only with a fee I guessEliTom

4 of them are from the same person one is four months old? and one is a month old?
BarmyBulldog

Hopefully you can get it resolved. Social media I find is always a quick … Hopefully you can get it resolved. Social media I find is always a quick way to get a proper response.

thanks
You will have been issued with a receipt for paying the cheques in - if you still have it then take it to the branch. If not, contact the cheque issuers, explain the problem you are having and ask if they have been cashed, and if so, who to (Bank, sort code and account number), then go back to your Bank. If all fails, go to the Banking Ombudsman with all of the details of the cheques.
CouldntThinkOfAUsername

Don't get the joke

malcyjdaddio

You will have been issued with a receipt for paying the cheques in - if … You will have been issued with a receipt for paying the cheques in - if you still have it then take it to the branch. If not, contact the cheque issuers, explain the problem you are having and ask if they have been cashed, and if so, who to (Bank, sort code and account number), then go back to your Bank. If all fails, go to the Banking Ombudsman with all of the details of the cheques.

thanks ..
malcyjdaddio

You will have been issued with a receipt for paying the cheques in - if … You will have been issued with a receipt for paying the cheques in - if you still have it then take it to the branch. If not, contact the cheque issuers, explain the problem you are having and ask if they have been cashed, and if so, who to (Bank, sort code and account number), then go back to your Bank. If all fails, go to the Banking Ombudsman with all of the details of the cheques.

I cant find my receipt and I don't think I got one .. I cant be sure though ..
Cheques of 4 months and 1 month are fine. Banks will normally reject a cheque over 6 months old even though it's legally valid.

HAVE THE CHEQUES BEEN CASHED?
john2020md

I cant find my receipt and I don't think I got one .. I cant be sure … I cant find my receipt and I don't think I got one .. I cant be sure though ..

if you did not get a receipt or cannot find it then you are on a very sticky wicket TBH

even if teh security tapes show you in the bank and at teh cashiers window, it is unlikely to show clealy that you handed over cheques

moral of the story here - when you bank cheques make sure you do get a receipt and keep it safe !

all you can do is write to each chequer issuer and explain teh situatuon and hope they will re-issue the cheques. If you have no evidence that you handed teh cheques over to Halifax what do you think they will do or think?

EliTom
elitom

all you can do is write to each chequer issuer and explain teh situatuon … all you can do is write to each chequer issuer and explain teh situatuon and hope they will re-issue the cheques. EliTom

They won't do this if the cheques have been cashed. John's first step needs to be to establish from the issuers IF they have been cashed.

John, do you have more than one account with the Halifax?
Edited by: "ceres" 5th Feb 2015
ceres

They won't do this if the cheques have been cashed. John's first step … They won't do this if the cheques have been cashed. John's first step needs to be to establish from the issuers IF they have been cashed.John, do you have more than one account with the Halifax?

For sure if they have been cashed - and cashed into an account with the OP name then something is seriously amiss

If they have been cashed into another account name then OP will have to prove the cheques were handled by Halifax - but it is unlikely that any bank will cash a cheque into an account that does not bear the same name as the cheque payee

EliTom
ceres

They won't do this if the cheques have been cashed. John's first step … They won't do this if the cheques have been cashed. John's first step needs to be to establish from the issuers IF they have been cashed.John, do you have more than one account with the Halifax?

No .. That's the first thing she asked me I've just spoken to her and she remembers me being in on the 27th .. but the bank says there as been no activity on my account since November 2014 ..
elitom

For sure if they have been cashed - and cashed into an account with the … For sure if they have been cashed - and cashed into an account with the OP name then something is seriously amissIf they have been cashed into another account name then OP will have to prove the cheques were handled by Halifax - but it is unlikely that any bank will cash a cheque into an account that does not bear the same name as the cheque payeeEliTom

I'm waiting on a call from her to see if she can find them .. She does remember me though ..
elitom

if you did not get a receipt or cannot find it then you are on a very … if you did not get a receipt or cannot find it then you are on a very sticky wicket TBHeven if teh security tapes show you in the bank and at teh cashiers window, it is unlikely to show clealy that you handed over chequesmoral of the story here - when you bank cheques make sure you do get a receipt and keep it safe !all you can do is write to each chequer issuer and explain teh situatuon and hope they will re-issue the cheques. If you have no evidence that you handed teh cheques over to Halifax what do you think they will do or think?EliTom

I will in future..
Who is this she? Who is her? The bank cashier? You need to speak to the person who issued the cheques to you - the person who wrote your name on the cheques and sent/gave them to you. Have you done this? Have they been cashed? It's a pretty simple question.
why did you sit on the cheques for 4 months?
ceres

Who is this she? Who is her? The bank cashier? You need to speak to … Who is this she? Who is her? The bank cashier? You need to speak to the person who issued the cheques to you - the person who wrote your name on the cheques and sent/gave them to you. Have you done this? Have they been cashed? It's a pretty simple question.

I have spoken to the bank cashier and she does remember me that day has gone to see if she can find them..
chocci

why did you sit on the cheques for 4 months?

they were for small amounts 4x £35 the oldest being 4 months ago and a £90 and a £200 from November and December...I just never got round to paying them in..
I'm out. You appear to be being deliberately evasive John.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants