Halo MCC PC issue

Posted 29th Jul
Every time I try too start MCC on games pass on PC I get failed to open descriptor file message, I've tried reinstalling, updating my computer everything but I can't get the game to start.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Is this the Windows store or Steam version?

try running command:

sfc /scannow

as Administrator
Edited by: "PAISAL" 29th Jul
PAISAL29/07/2020 19:15

Is this the Windows store or Steam version?try running command: sfc …Is this the Windows store or Steam version?try running command: sfc /scannow as Administrator

Its the windows version, I've tried search bar, Halo MCC then clicked on run as administrator and had the same outcome.
FrankieThePanda29/07/2020 19:40

Its the windows version, I've tried search bar, Halo MCC then clicked on …Its the windows version, I've tried search bar, Halo MCC then clicked on run as administrator and had the same outcome.

Try the command I posted. Run that as Administrator.

Once that’s finished, try again.
PAISAL29/07/2020 19:47

Try the command I posted. Run that as Administrator.Once that’s finished, t …Try the command I posted. Run that as Administrator.Once that’s finished, try again.

I got the pop up for system integrity check and repair, I clicked yes but that didn't seem to do anything, am I being dumb?
PAISAL29/07/2020 19:47

Try the command I posted. Run that as Administrator.Once that’s finished, t …Try the command I posted. Run that as Administrator.Once that’s finished, try again.

FrankieThePanda29/07/2020 19:40

Its the windows version, I've tried search bar, Halo MCC then clicked on …Its the windows version, I've tried search bar, Halo MCC then clicked on run as administrator and had the same outcome.

Did the “pop up” disappear when you clicked yes?
PAISAL29/07/2020 21:07

Did the “pop up” disappear when you clicked yes?

Yup, it made the doo doo sound
Type command prompt in search, then RIGHT click on the command prompt app and run as administrator. Then type in

sfc /scannow

exactly as it's written. Infact, copy and paste that into it. No spaces. and press enter.

So it should look like:

c:\Windows\System32>sfc /scannow

(notice there is no space after the > Then there is a space after sfc.)

It should start running. You will see a percentage progress increasing.

Let it finish. It might take a while. Then exit it. And try running the game again.

There can be a lot of reasons for the “failed to open descriptor” error. The sfc /scannow command will find and replace corrupt windows system files and hopefully allow you to run the game. At the very least it will eliminate that possibility if it doesn't work.

I don't know if that's what you've done, hard to tell in words, but I'm just clarifying. It sounds to me from your posts that you forgot to run as administrator which is why it didn't do anthing.

If that still doesn't work, then there's few other things you can try. But try that first and come back here if it doesn't.
Edited by: "PAISAL" 30th Jul
PAISAL29/07/2020 21:57

Type command prompt in search, then RIGHT click on the command prompt app …Type command prompt in search, then RIGHT click on the command prompt app and run as administrator. Then type in sfc /scannowexactly as it's written. Infact, copy and paste that into it. No spaces. and press enter.So it should look like:c:\Windows\System32>sfc /scannow(notice there is no space after the > Then there is a space after sfc.)It should start running. You will see a percentage progress increasing. Let it finish. It might take a while. Then exit it. And try running the game again.There can be a lot of reasons for the “failed to open descriptor” error. The sfc /scannow command will find and replace corrupt windows system files and hopefully allow you to run the game. At the very least it will eliminate that possibility if it doesn't work.I don't know if that's what you've done, hard to tell in words, but I'm just clarifying. It sounds to me from your posts that you forgot to run as administrator which is why it didn't do anthing.If that still doesn't work, then there's few other things you can try. But try that first and come back here if it doesn't.

thank you for the tips but I tried it and got this, I'm sure I haven't typed it wrong?41546842-RRbjL.jpg
FrankieThePanda31/07/2020 19:45

thank you for the tips but I tried it and got this, I'm sure I haven't …thank you for the tips but I tried it and got this, I'm sure I haven't typed it wrong?[Image]

You're typing it wrong.

You haven't put a space after SFC

It needs to look exactly like this:

sfc /scannow

Notice the space after SFC

That's why it's not recognising the command.

So again, it should look EXACTLY like this:

c:\Windows\System32>sfc /scannow

So as soon as that command prompt screen comes up, type:

sfc[THEN PRESS SPACE]/scannow

Then press enter.
Edited by: "PAISAL" 31st Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text