HAM RADIO HELP - Information regarding Baofeng vu-5r! Help please!

Found 16th Dec 2017
hi all

I recently purchased the above two way radio with much excitement!

I ain't sure if it's the crowded area (which also has big hills either side)

Or it's me or the radio but I ain't picking much up at all! Literally picked up

Around 3 channels clear but no local repeaters or anything are active,

Failing that's it's something me or the radio just wondered if anyone else

Has experienced this.. My knowledge of radio and HAM is rock bottom also..

Any advice or tips would be perfect, currently have Baofeng VU-5R with a

Retevis RHD-711 SMA-F Antenna.

Many Thanks, Much Appreciated.

Richie

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
7 Comments

Hi RichieRahh, I’m sure that you mean the Baofeng uv-5r radio, if so I’ve got one and they’re great for what they are and the price point.

I’m not sure where about you are but a local club is always going to be best as I can almost guarantee 100% radio amateurs being tight sods, that at last one will have one and will help you sort any problems better than struggling by yourself!

But if that’s not practical then this is a great starting site for you, essexham.co.uk

There’s also loads of links underneath the main text that’s full of useful information also.

Hope that you get it sorted out soon.

wallzone.

Original Poster

wallzone15 h, 17 m ago

Hi RichieRahh, I’m sure that you mean the Baofeng uv-5r radio, if so I’ve g …Hi RichieRahh, I’m sure that you mean the Baofeng uv-5r radio, if so I’ve got one and they’re great for what they are and the price point.I’m not sure where about you are but a local club is always going to be best as I can almost guarantee 100% radio amateurs being tight sods, that at last one will have one and will help you sort any problems better than struggling by yourself!But if that’s not practical then this is a great starting site for you, www.essexham.co.ukThere’s also loads of links underneath the main text that’s full of useful information also.Hope that you get it sorted out soon.wallzone.

Cheers I'll be sure to have a look there! Luckily I've actually picked up a repeater in Brighton this morning for a good few hours too with great signal, think it's just the frequency in putting in ain't busy or in use... But I'll sure check that sight out thank you!

One problem with handheld radios is that there is not really an effective ground plane for the antenna, so it's always going to be a compromise.

I used to use a 2M handheld - a bulky IC02E, with a full length quarter wave whip, now that could get some pretty good signals, and the amount of metal in the radio probably gave it more of a ground plane to work against

Original Poster

matth99994 h, 42 m ago

One problem with handheld radios is that there is not really an effective …One problem with handheld radios is that there is not really an effective ground plane for the antenna, so it's always going to be a compromise.I used to use a 2M handheld - a bulky IC02E, with a full length quarter wave whip, now that could get some pretty good signals, and the amount of metal in the radio probably gave it more of a ground plane to work against

That's what i Would like To Be Honest, I've No Interest In Talking To Anyone I Just Want A Decent Scanner. My Dad Used To Have One But Cant Recall Its Name, It Was Amazing! could You Point Me In The Right Direction and Suggest A few Scanners Nothing Over £200 If Possible, Cheers In Adavance!

Uniden scanners

Are scanners still of use? I had one as a teen (25 odd years ago) and used to sit for hours listening to the emergency services, planes and taxis etc (also mobile phones if I remember correctly), I thought they were of little use after everything went digital? Dont most radio signals get scrambled these days? Forgive my naivety but I'm generally intrigued, may have to invest in a new hobby.

Would you be interested in HF Bands or are you just wanting to listen locally? If you have an interest in HF then something like a Yaesu FRG type receiver 2nd hand off eBay would be good along with a big length of wire for an antenna.. Also ther are many online sites like Hack Green SDR. There's someone talking on 145.300 now :-) hackgreensdr.org/

Hack Green also have HF SDR hackgreensdr.org/
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions