Expired

Hand Luggage EU Flight

Found 9th Mar 2014
Hi

so due to go away soon and we are not taking any suitcases just hand luggage, what is permitted in hand luggage, for example we are contemplating taking some food but can't find any info on what is allowed and what isn't (apart from the usual obvious ones sprays etc)

Flying with easyjet if anyone could shed some light it would be most helpful
Community Updates
23 Comments
What sort of food are you contemplating? No issue with sarnies I expect - why don't you just buy a few sarnies airside from Boots or similar? Save valuable space inside your hand luggage.
Edited by: "scrumpypaul" 9th Mar 2014
I didnt think you were aloud to take food through customs
no food allowed in hand luggage..
Nothing to do with the flight. The destination will determine what you can import. Unless your sarnies are made out of endangered animals or semtex no probs if you eat it on the plane.
I have no idea where you lot have been flying from, but food is allowed in hand luggage and always has been...

The only restriction on food is that you cannot take liquids - which is generally expanded to include things like jam, spreads etc. (in containers - inside a sandwich would be fine). Sandwiches and any other "solid" foods are allowed.

Customs after you land is another matter, though I wouldn't imagine there are any major restrictions on EU flights. Regardless, you can still take food that you aren't allowed to enter the destination country with as long as you either eat it all or discard it before you reach the customs checkpoint.
Edited by: "callum9999" 9th Mar 2014
I had egg mayonaise, tins of soup, taken off me my sister had pasta sauces, cereal and almost everything else confiscated.
pinkladyof66

I had egg mayonaise, tins of soup, taken off me my sister had pasta … I had egg mayonaise, tins of soup, taken off me my sister had pasta sauces, cereal and almost everything else confiscated.

you could conceivably use these as weapons, but you'd be hard pressed to injure someone with a peanut butter sandwich, barring nut allergy sufferers.
cereal a weapon ???
pinkladyof66

cereal a weapon ???

she also had dried pasta taken off her
I suppose if they are being difficult they could refuse anything with mayonaise but I invariably take food to eat on the flight and have never had a problem. Get your drink from Boots or similar airside. I got a jar of jam confiscated coming back from Billund one year.oO
pinkladyof66

I had egg mayonaise, tins of soup, taken off me my sister had pasta … I had egg mayonaise, tins of soup, taken off me my sister had pasta sauces, cereal and almost everything else confiscated.

Egg mayonaise could be classified as a liquid.
Tins of soup certainly are.
Pasta sauces certainly are.
Cereal isn't and is 100% allowed in. As is dried pasta.

I assume they took them as some sort of overzealous punishment for you taking in all that blatantly banned stuff. I take food through on almost every single flight I take (about 70 at the last count) and have never even been questioned over it - everything from pasta, noodles and rice to fruit. If food was banned then signs and information about what you can take in hand luggage would say so.
my sister usually tries to take stuff as she goes over to stay with her mother in law for like a month and as her kids are fussy eaters takes food for them to have.... last couple of times they have taken everything off her. she dont take many clothes as they do their own washing hence they take food as they dont really eat out and the supermarket is miles away from the villa..
If we're talking about taking sandwiches I would suggest putting them in a clear sandwich bag rather than wrapping them in silver tin foil.
pinkladyof66

my sister usually tries to take stuff as she goes over to stay with her … my sister usually tries to take stuff as she goes over to stay with her mother in law for like a month and as her kids are fussy eaters takes food for them to have.... last couple of times they have taken everything off her. she dont take many clothes as they do their own washing hence they take food as they dont really eat out and the supermarket is miles away from the villa..

Then she should be making an official complaint as non-liquid food is 100% allowed to be taken on a plane. The only ambiguity is over when a liquid becomes a solid - something which obviously doesn't exist with dried pasta etc.

An extract from the Heathrow website:

What foods can I carry on board? Can I take my wedding cake?
You can take most solid foods, including wedding cake, in your hand baggage if you wish. Foods in sauces or dishes containing a lot of liquid will have to be in containers of 100ml or less, and placed inside a single transparent, resealable plastic bag of a capacity no greater than 1 litre.
Bear in mind that it's illegal to take some meat and dairy products abroad. You can find out more at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs website, or call 0845 933 5577.

Edited by: "callum9999" 9th Mar 2014
was mainly the likes of pot noodles, noodles, cup a soups, tea bags, sweets/chocolate and the main one was bacon as theres a few of us it seemed cheaper to buy a big pack of bacon and take it with us and save buying it there or eating out for breakfasts when we wanted hot food etc
Edited by: "ando" 9th Mar 2014
ando

was mainly the likes of pot noodles, noodles, cup a soups, tea bags, … was mainly the likes of pot noodles, noodles, cup a soups, tea bags, sweets/chocolate and the main one was bacon as theres a few of us it seemed cheaper to buy a big pack of bacon and take it with us and save buying it there or eating out for breakfasts when we wanted hot food etc

Where are you going? Unless it's to the middle of nowhere or somewhere like Scandinavia, I find it pretty hard to believe that it would be worthwhile taking packs of bacon on the plane with you! In much of Europe those things will actually be cheaper than the UK anyway.
callum9999

Where are you going? Unless it's to the middle of nowhere or somewhere … Where are you going? Unless it's to the middle of nowhere or somewhere like Scandinavia, I find it pretty hard to believe that it would be worthwhile taking packs of bacon on the plane with you! In much of Europe those things will actually be cheaper than the UK anyway.

tbh your not the first to say that so i'll leave it, everything else listed should be ok then?
ando

tbh your not the first to say that so i'll leave it, everything else … tbh your not the first to say that so i'll leave it, everything else listed should be ok then?

You should be allowed to take bacon on the plane, I just think it's a bit silly going to all that hassle (you'll presumably have to "manage" it somehow considering how long it will be away from a fridge - in often hot conditions) just to have some bacon on holiday. Particularly with virtually every supermarket in Europe selling it!

I have no idea what your holiday style is so it's purely up to you what food to take. If you're hiring a car then I think taking any food with you is completely redundant. Ditto if you're staying in a reasonably sized town/city.
pinkladyof66

no food allowed in hand luggage..

Utter rubbish, food is allowed in hand baggage, I take sarnies on about 12 trips a year.
I always take all manner of food to the US in my hand luggage.

Anything like sandwiches, pastries or jelly sweets I try to eat before landing in case they get funny with me (you don't want them to start poking around, it'll only escalate) but that's only because of California's agriculture policies.
pinkladyof66

cereal a weapon ???

He could be a Cereal Killer!
forgot to follow up on this just in case anyone is interested, took the bacon as hand luggage and was not stopped either side
Good one op, thanks for the update.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants