Expired

Hand luggage/hold luggage solar panel and solar panel battery charger

Found 1st Jun 2014
Does anyone know if you can take these, and if so are these allowed to be hand luggage or hold luggage? As obviously a portable panel in hold luggage wouldn't be a good move, as it probably be broke. So hence why i am asking the question and i can't see the rules for it. Also for a panel with a battery incorporated in it.
Community Updates
7 Comments
Why ask twice !!
I'm fairly sure this would be ok in either, the chances of a panel of glass survivng the tender mercies of the baggage handlers is small. The only issue might be size and the inquisitive nature of security officers at UK airports.
I have checked my employers rules and there is no definitive restriction on solar cells. There are restrictions on Li-ion batteries, so you might need to know the spec of what you are taking.
To prevent trouble when you travel it might be a good idea to contact both your airline and departure airport to get a yes or no in writing. Unfortunately, if you get stopped at security and they are not sure, they will just take it off you and there will be nothing you can do.
Well obviously it would be pointless to take them there, incase they decide it can not go past customs. Hence why i ask if anyone has done this or knows if anyone has.
And as an airline employee I have said what I would do, which is to ask the airline and the airport.

You would be very surprised by what people bring to the airport on spec, expecting to be able to take through security and on to an aircraft.
airbus330

And as an airline employee I have said what I would do, which is to ask … And as an airline employee I have said what I would do, which is to ask the airline and the airport.You would be very surprised by what people bring to the airport on spec, expecting to be able to take through security and on to an aircraft.

Ok, I think i probably be told hold basically only then?
Edited by: "leeparsons" 1st Jun 2014
Got an answer for you.
This item comes under the heading of Large or Complex Electrical Items.
They can be carried as cabin baggage but need to go through the scanner separately, like a laptop would.
I assume that the item won't be bigger than the standard maximum dimensions for cabin baggage.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the effort, but i decide not to bother in the end.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions