Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Hand Sanitiser make your own

Posted 3rd Mar
Have visited 8 shops locally with none having any stocks left of alcohol based Hand Sanitiser. so got thinking why don't I make my own with my trusted friend Google.

Well not as easy as I thought.

Looks like the main ingredient I need is isopropyl alcohol which is used for a number of cleaning tasks and for medical purposes. There are two main concentrations of this that one can buy 70% and near enough 100%.

Other ingredients are Aloe Vera, essential oil, distilled water (?)

So my question is has anyone made their own ? Which one did they end up using and how much Aloe Vera etc did they end up mixing.
Community Updates
Ask
40 Comments
Yeah, but the trouble is it keeps disappearing as fast as I can "make" it
40037038-ER38Y.jpg
Urine is a good sanitiser but needs some form of deodorant in the mix
Gunpowder also works
HerefordCiderApples03/03/2020 21:55

Urine is a good sanitiser but needs some form of deodorant in the mix

Does using someone else's make much difference
Come on get serious guys. Enough of the jokes.
Diy guide on YouTube?
alcohol, bottle of vodka will do
sydney87103/03/2020 22:11

Come on get serious guys. Enough of the jokes.

I'm not taking the urine!
Edited by: "HerefordCiderApples" 3rd Mar
AMaky03/03/2020 22:33

alcohol, bottle of vodka will do

Maximum 40% pure alcohol so not effective enough. You need at least 70%.
sydney87103/03/2020 22:37

moonshine?
Edited by: "AMaky" 3rd Mar
Commercial ones are tested to meet a standard (EN 1500).

I could be wrong, but I think alcohol use is not suitable with regard to some religious groups. So what would be the alternative if that is the case?
Edited by: "guru404" 3rd Mar

Got a couple of bottles of Wray & Nephew in Tesco a couple of years ago
no way I would be wasting it on this mind
Push comes to a shove in an emergency.. you can use the hand gel, add some Robinsons and you've got hooch
dufflecoat_moon_turkey03/03/2020 22:49

Comment deleted

Not always practical though as a comparison to something portable and that you can carry in your pocket.
Edited by: "guru404" 3rd Mar
guru40403/03/2020 22:57

Not always practical though as a comparison to something portable and that …Not always practical though as a comparison to something portable and that you can carry in your pocket.

If you can get it use this boots.com/nil…791
wikihow.com/Mak…zer

I like the astringent nature of witch hazel ...a gel I had carried around since I was at school.

Distilled water, easy buy.
Essential oil (for scent) if wanted, feel free to add something different, orange oil, lemon oil ..etc
Aloe vera from health store Holland & barretts.
Iso 70% from chemists,

No problem, use a jar, gloved hands & some squeeze bottles & diddy size funnels.
Store in a cold fridge.

Think of it as non edible, non setting gello shots, it is not dissimilar & simplifies the process.

If you have means of distilling then you can do oils, water & alcohol obviously, though people who distill / make bio diesel are often a bit jumpy & cagey, & won't advertise the fact due to the legality / inspection & h.m. revenue excise aspect of it all.

If you do know a spirit distiller, ask them to make you some high proof, via left over accumulated "heads" & "tails" that they may be simply pouring into their car windscreen washer bottle to increase the cleaning potency. (These are the poor parts of the process that may be measured, recorded & re-used in other batches (mixology) ..do explain clearly what it is for, they will not be wanting to have a poisoning case nor revenue on their backs!
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 3rd Mar
Making your own sanitiser is something that's not recommended.

London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine say it's very unwise, dangerous, even. Shop-bought products also contain emollients to make them softer on the skin, without which you run the risk of hurting your hands. Getting the mix right at home is also very tricky – so it is a big no-no.

Advice is to wash your hands with soap and water though of course you will need hand gel if you're out and about touching things.

And if you can't wash your hands or use gel after coming into contact with things, don't touch your face.

A virus needs a host – living cells – to reproduce: so don’t rub your eyes, or touch your mouth or any wounds if your hands are not clean. Keep your hands clear until you have access to gel or can wash them.

The above information is from an article from the Guardian which dropped in my Google feed recently which you might like to read for further information on which is best to use
Edited by: "LemonHead" 3rd Mar
For most situations, washing your hands in hot water with soap is the most effective protection. I've got bored by the amount of times I have heard that. But out in public some thick tissues in a sealable plastic bag soaked with some isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alchohol) (diluted to 70% if you use the strong one), will do the trick. Doesn't smell great put ideal for wiping tables or supermarket trolley handles. Its going to dry your skin out, so not for constant cleaning of your hands, but that is what soap and water's for. Buy it off Amazon.
search engines like ‘medical supplies’
MrKrabs03/03/2020 23:30

Comment deleted

Is that directed at me? I'm not religious...

Join the 21st century?

Hmm, yeh, k.. No thanks...

40037941-SGIjG.jpg
Wongy11003/03/2020 22:50

Got a couple of bottles of Wray & Nephew in Tesco a couple of years agono …Got a couple of bottles of Wray & Nephew in Tesco a couple of years agono way I would be wasting it on this mind

It's 67.5% now.
guru40403/03/2020 22:43

Commercial ones are tested to meet a standard (EN 1500). I could be wrong, …Commercial ones are tested to meet a standard (EN 1500). I could be wrong, but I think alcohol use is not suitable with regard to some religious groups. So what would be the alternative if that is the case?

Major religious groups usually prohibit the consumption of alcohol, as a pose to using it as a sanitiser/cleanser.

So get 2 bottles of vodka
doesn't carex hand wash kill 99.99% of germs?
mutley104/03/2020 10:40

doesn't carex hand wash kill 99.99% of germs?

Yes the whole point being that I'm after as hand sanitiser not a hand wash which is not always practical to use if there is no water and sink.
sydney87104/03/2020 11:58

Yes the whole point being that I'm after as hand sanitiser not a hand wash …Yes the whole point being that I'm after as hand sanitiser not a hand wash which is not always practical to use if there is no water and sink.

In that case, I would have thought hand wipes would work.
u have no life if u make this like lol. unless you can drink it haha
mutley104/03/2020 17:06

In that case, I would have thought hand wipes would work.

If you can get alcoholic (anti-bacterial) ones then yes.
Edited by: "sydney871" 4th Mar
If you're struggling that much, just use 70% iso alcohol on it's own. The gel is more ti make easier to use.
Thanks guys for all your valuable comments managed to get 2 small bottles from Boots. So no need after all.
RadiatorRules04/03/2020 10:07

Major religious groups usually prohibit the consumption of alcohol, as a …Major religious groups usually prohibit the consumption of alcohol, as a pose to using it as a sanitiser/cleanser.

That's their tough luck then, & so widely known that I'm wondering why you bothered commenting about it.Plenty of longstanding , much covered alternatives.

It comes down to the thoroughness of your hand washing & subsequent drying after all.
youtu.be/dgY…uEs

Big Clive made a video on hand sanitizer.
mogsog05/03/2020 10:21

https://youtu.be/dgY04l0CuEsBig Clive made a video on hand sanitizer.

No good idea Vodka as discussed only 40% . Lots of YouTube videos using isopropyl alcohol which is more effective.
mogsog05/03/2020 10:21

https://youtu.be/dgY04l0CuEsBig Clive made a video on hand sanitizer.

Big clive the calm, rational voice of the (other half of the) uk
Please don't get industrial ethanol or try to distil alcohol to make your own. The risk of you blowing yourself up far outweighs the marginal decrease in risk of catching the flu.
Ebay sellers have 70% IPA for around £4 per litre. Tried to buy some Glycerin at Boots yesterday as per big clives video but found none, smaller store so was expected.

I already had the IPA and planned on using it in small spray bottles to sanitise things like remotes, phones and switches etc should someone here get the kungflu. From what I gather full strength 90%+ IPA is less effective than 60-70% at killing bacteria, something to note.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants