Hand sanitizer instead of washing hands?

Found 29th Jul
would replacing washing hands after a wee or poo, with anti bacteria (60% min alchol)
be bad or good? I would prefer to do this as its quicker, is it not adviced?
thinking of getting a dispenser and a 5 litre bottle
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Not advisable. Any 'crud' on your hands is still there. Sanitizer is designed to sanitise clean hands.
Definitely not, wash hands with hot soapy water when possible.
But surely after deleting Facebook and YouTube you have more time to wash your hands.
Anyway I wouldn't advise it . The germs could make you ill and cause you to phone in sick.
The amount of people I see lately in toilets just walk out without washing hands vile human beings some in restaurants and go back and sit at table with there kids and family - Tramps!!!!!!
36 Comments
Not advisable. Any 'crud' on your hands is still there. Sanitizer is designed to sanitise clean hands.
Depends on a situation. But let's say you wipe your bum and stain your hand... Sanitizer will not remove the dirt but may removed some bacteria

cdc.gov/han…tml
mrty10 m ago

Not advisable. Any 'crud' on your hands is still there. Sanitizer is …Not advisable. Any 'crud' on your hands is still there. Sanitizer is designed to sanitise clean hands.

what crud would be on your hands after a wee?
Creatishh29th Jul

I don't know ....greasy ballsack sweat from holding your falus. Something that hand sanitizer won't clean
Could you save time in any other way as it seems a bit gross to avoid water especially after going to the toilet. On the other hand I do think I wash my hands too much!
34530047-bCUxN.jpg
Creatishh29th Jul

Did you not say 'wee or poo' ?
Hand sanitizer kills bacteria and then evaporated.
Washing your hands dislodges dirt, grime, grease, bacteria, etc.
If you kill the bugs but keep the ‘sanitizer’ dirt. When you touch the door handle, hand rail, etc. You will pick up fresh bacteria and leave them a buffet of grime to munch on.
mattsk2 h, 32 m ago

I don't know ....greasy ballsack sweat from holding your falus. Something …I don't know ....greasy ballsack sweat from holding your falus. Something that hand sanitizer won't clean

Phallus, dude.
But surely after deleting Facebook and YouTube you have more time to wash your hands.
Anyway I wouldn't advise it . The germs could make you ill and cause you to phone in sick.
OP what will you be doing with all that time and bacteria on your hands?
What happens when your finger(s) pokes through the tissue paper when wiping your deaf and dum. Do you think to yourself ''lucky I got my hand sanitizer on me''
MadeDixonsCry1 h, 52 m ago

Phallus, dude.

Ups , dual language autocorrelation... Ohhh well you knew what I meant
Seriously? Just wash your hands. It's no hardship.
The amount of people I see lately in toilets just walk out without washing hands vile human beings some in restaurants and go back and sit at table with there kids and family - Tramps!!!!!!
jimmy_the_fridge2 h, 29 m ago

But surely after deleting Facebook and YouTube you have more time to wash …But surely after deleting Facebook and YouTube you have more time to wash your hands.Anyway I wouldn't advise it . The germs could make you ill and cause you to phone in sick.

90s kid, were lazy... Turn lights off with voice, ordering food shopping online and getting a machine to make my coffee by my voice
RiverDragon81 h, 34 m ago

What happens when your finger(s) pokes through the tissue … What happens when your finger(s) pokes through the tissue paper when wiping your deaf and dum. Do you think to yourself ''lucky I got my hand sanitizer on me''

On the occasion this would happen or any time you get crud? Then you still have a sink and soap there
From your thread you're giving the impression that you want to use hand sanitizer instead of conventional method of water/soap and water, after you've been to the loo.
dratsabasti8 h, 5 m ago

Actually it now doesn't matter whether the water is hot or cold. What's important apparently is making sure you actually wash properly. Get between the fingers, under your nails where possible.

NHS Hot and Cold Water

Although give it a few year and it will change to "actually water and soap mixed together is what is giving people cancer"
what a thread *checks who posted*
ah
Use some Salad Tongs to get your tackle out.
34536917-Vkd9d.jpg
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell27 m ago

Use some Salad Tongs to get your tackle out.[Image]

I could have done with them yesterday.
Was making chilli and made a schoolboy error. Ouch!
Using hand sanitizer could potentially weaken your immunity to germs. This is actually a hot topic when talking about the use of hand sanitizers. Some researchers say that frequent use of hand sanitizers will cause a resistance to both good and bad bacteria, which could hurt your immune system in fighting off infections.

Also, urine is not sterile. This is actually a myth. Even before it comes out of you and gets contaminated by your skin. Bacteria are present at low levels in the urine of healthy people not suffering from a urinary tract infection.

Washing your hands after using the toilet also prevents cross contamination, using the toilet before handling food for example.

And washing your hands with water alone is never enough. Washing hands with soap and water especially at the critical times -- after using the toilet and before handling food -- helps reduce the incidence of diarrhoeal disease by more than 40% and respiratory infections by nearly 25%. Furthermore, washing hands with soap is also being recommended as a critical action to prevent the spread of influenza H1N1.

And hand sanitizers are also ineffective in cases of diarrhoea.
jimmy_the_fridge1 h, 47 m ago

I could have done with them yesterday.Was making chilli and made a …I could have done with them yesterday.Was making chilli and made a schoolboy error. Ouch!

You left your PE kit at home and had Detention?
Creatishh29th Jul

On the occasion this would happen or any time you get crud? Then you still …On the occasion this would happen or any time you get crud? Then you still have a sink and soap there

the fact you are trying so hard to have hand sanitiser instead of soap and water because.... you dont want to spend extra 10s in front of a sink?
that just shows what your overall hygiene must be....
honestly, a good hand washing should not take more than 15-30s
mattsk15 m ago

the fact you are trying so hard to have hand sanitiser instead of soap and …the fact you are trying so hard to have hand sanitiser instead of soap and water because.... you dont want to spend extra 10s in front of a sink?that just shows what your overall hygiene must be....honestly, a good hand washing should not take more than 15-30s

Have not been ill in years. Come here for advice before I did anything as I don't pretend I'm and expert in every subject. If we as humans don't try to shorten tasks we would still be mailing greetings my post.
Creatishh30th Jul

Have not been ill in years. Come here for advice before I did anything as …Have not been ill in years. Come here for advice before I did anything as I don't pretend I'm and expert in every subject. If we as humans don't try to shorten tasks we would still be mailing greetings my post.

You haven't been I'll for years it's like a soldier saying he hasn't been shot in years, and yet the soldier still does everything he possibly can to protect himself.

Ps just because something takes less time doesn't mean it's better , in fact I'm sure we can find hundreds of examples showing that when extra time is taken it makes things better ...

There is literally no argument that hand washing should be done with soap and water ... This has been basically established fact by fellow called Ignaz Semmelweis since 1840s
Edited by: "mattsk" 30th Jul
.MUFC.1 h, 1 m ago

Wouldn't these be more appropriate? [Image]

Not for me

If I bought one of these, I'd never leave the house
34541283-mPtLM.jpg
No, hand sanitiser is just for when you are out and about and you can't wash your hands properly; it's not an option that replaces water and soap.
After a poo you need to wash your hands properly!
dratsabasti29th Jul

[Image]

Try washing your hands with an emollient cream and actually see where you miss.

Hand washing techniques are part of the mandatory training I have for work, I work in healthcare looking after elderly people. I had a short burst of dermatitis on the palms of my hands a while ago and was keeping my hands cleaned using an emollient. I'm not always that obsessive about washing my hands thoroughly when not working though using the technique you point out in your post I noticed parts were being missed.
mattsk10 h, 25 m ago

You haven't been I'll for years it's like a soldier saying he hasn't been …You haven't been I'll for years it's like a soldier saying he hasn't been shot in years, and yet the soldier still does everything he possibly can to protect himself.Ps just because something takes less time doesn't mean it's better , in fact I'm sure we can find hundreds of examples showing that when extra time is taken it makes things better ...There is literally no argument that hand washing should be done with soap and water ... This has been basically established fact by fellow called Ignaz Semmelweis since 1840s

And getting your hands clean isn't just a question of how long you wash them either, but how "well”. You have to apply soap and water, rub all surfaces of the hands thoroughly for at least 15 seconds, then rinse under running water and then dry them.

The rubbing with soap actually helps to detach the germs from your skin, while the rinsing takes them off the hands.

Though if you do intend on using hand sanitizer, make sure it meets the minimum alcohol concentration requirement to kill harmful bacteria. 60% minimum alcohol concentration is required for hand sanitizers to be effective. There are actually those available in stores that don't meet this requirement, so make sure to read the label to know what makes up the product.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 30th Jul
hearts223 h, 54 m ago

No, hand sanitiser is just for when you are out and about and you can't …No, hand sanitiser is just for when you are out and about and you can't wash your hands properly; it's not an option that replaces water and soap. After a poo you need to wash your hands properly!

And pee. And as I have mentioned above, urine is not sterile because bacteria are actually present at low levels in the urine of healthy people.

Yes, hand sanitizer may be effective against germs, but it’s no substitute for soap and water when needing to remove any bodily fluids, grease, dirt or blood from hands.

Faeces from people (or animals) is also an important source of all the germs that cause diarrhea, and it can also spread some respiratory infections as well.

These kinds of germs can get onto hands after using the toilet.

And you might also find this interesting - A single gram of human faeces can actually contain one trillion germs.

And let's not forget, this isn't just about us as individuals. We personally may not get sick because we don't wash our hands, especially at the critical times, or don't wash them thoroughly if we do, germs also spread through the environment and to other people.

Good hygiene is important to good health and is one of the simplest ways to reduce your risk of getting sick. You should also make sure to wash your hands frequently and if you do intend using a hand sanitizer, make sure it meets the minimum alcohol concentration requirement to kill harmful bacteria.
as you are looking to save time why not get some adult nappies no need to even go to the loo
A rough guide was given to the original poster!! I know how to wash my hands properly.. after 13 years working in a similar setting to your self.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants