Groups

Handbrake sticking

The handbrake on my corsa c seems to be sticking on quite often, it takes a few seconds of revving until it releases with a bang and jolt. I've noticed that it only really happens after driving in rain and can even happen after the car is parked for only 4 hours.
    I had the handbrake cables and rear brake drums replaced a few months ago.
    Anybody got any ideas what could be causing this.
    Thanks.

12 Comments

Nothing to worry about, probably cheap pads and discs.

I found reversing first helps them release easier.

if you had the cables replaced recently, maybe the were routed wrongly or drums need adjusting after bedding in. I would take it back to the place that fitted them they should have a look for free.

Edited by: "mfactor" 12th Feb

Get it serviced. Be ok for now though. It's happened to be before. You get a slight bang when they release, well I did.

Get it checked, only put the hand brake on a few clicks if you're on the flat and it's been wet

Were the shoes done at same time?

Get used to driving a vauxhall. I have a zafira and for years I had to leave the handbrake off in cold weather as the cable would freeze. Have replaced it now but don't expect it to last long. Even a child would recognise the problem with the Zafira is the cable terminating with the ends pointing up. Water runs down the inner cable into the outer sleeve. Not designed by an engineer, more likely a muppet.

Original Poster

Thanks for your replies everyone.
    Hope it's not cheap parts as I had it done at a main dealer. I live on a hill so have to apply handbrake unfortunately.
    The shoes were not done.
    Might take it back to garage, see what they say.

Does the Corsa have Hill Start Assist function,Anti-Roll back or whatever Vauxhall might call it? Or to put it another way does it only happen when the car is parked facing uphill rather than downhill?
    Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 13th Feb

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts

Does the Corsa have Hill Start Assist function,Anti-Roll back or whatever … Does the Corsa have Hill Start Assist function,Anti-Roll back or whatever Vauxhall might call it? Or to put it another way does it only happen when the car is parked facing uphill rather than downhill?

​No it doesn't, it's only a 2006 one and always park it downhill.

Canary0500

Thanks for your replies everyone.Hope it's not cheap parts as I had it … Thanks for your replies everyone.Hope it's not cheap parts as I had it done at a main dealer. I live on a hill so have to apply handbrake unfortunately.The shoes were not done.Might take it back to garage, see what they say.

It doesn't really make any sense to change drums without changing shoes, They're not expensive and a two minute job if they already had drum off. The shoes are probably sticking. The springs probably aren't quite as effective or the self adjuster is at it's maximum when it should have probably been reset before having the new drums fitted as more friction material etc.

Original Poster

shauneco

It doesn't really make any sense to change drums without changing shoes, … It doesn't really make any sense to change drums without changing shoes, They're not expensive and a two minute job if they already had drum off. The shoes are probably sticking. The springs probably aren't quite as effective or the self adjuster is at it's maximum when it should have probably been reset before having the new drums fitted as more friction material etc.

​Had the car checked today and it was exactly that, the shoes were sticking. They've stripped, cleaned and adjusted rear brakes (for free).
    However, they also discovered the egr cooler is leaking now!

I would say get it sorted, not that it's dangerous but you need to know the reason. Many years ago we had similar on a car we bought and after a while the brake discs at the back were seen to be glowing white hot when we pulled up to park. We finally discovered that a pipe that feeds the brake fluid had been bent to fit. This meant the brakes were always on as the fluid couldn't settle back in the camber. By then we had gone though 2 sets of discs unaware the was a real issue.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Potential upcoming Argos glitch or buggy app?109
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1851337
      3. Vegan (Non-Dairy) Ben & Jerrys now launched in UK!1827
      4. Apples new update610

See more discussions