Expired

Handgun Shooting ranges in UK?

Found 24th Jan 2013
My fiancee has said she would like to shoot a hand gun and I have been looking around for any ranges in the UK that allow it. I can't really find anything and that may be understandable but does anyone know anywhere that allows that.

Background checks etc are all fine with me, whatever is needed I'm just curious as to if ranges even exist in the UK for people to go and, under supervison, legally fire a handgun.

Failing UK places we might be going back to the states for a few weeks this year so maybe that would be the better option. Just not sure where the law stands over here and if you need to have gone through full firearms training and certification before shooting one at a range.

I assume the latter is probably the case but any sensible replies are welcome.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
43 Comments

Banned

You can buy you own gun stateside and shoot anything that moves - I'd wait

Banned

Time Crisis 2

Banned

Phsycronix

Oh dear. This can only end … Oh dear. This can only end badly...http://youtu.be/XIw40yqE3sYhttp://youtu.be/h3PUXbo3tCo

na mate this is more like it

youtube.com/wat…8us
Edited by: "ewwaxo" 24th Jan 2013

Original Poster

LOL.

Will look at that site gizmouk thanks.

Only handguns that are legal in the UK for civilians are 'black powder', used by historical buffs. Think Musket type guns, duelling pistols from the 17th century and earlier. There used to be at least one indoor firing range for these in London. Personally, wouldn't bother 'cos they're nothing like modern firearms.

Your could think about day trips to Boulogne. Pretty good gun club over there. French gun laws are a lot easier than UK. It might be possible to arrange a couple of day trips and get checked out on pistols. Would take some research on your part first tho.

Alternatively, depending on the end result you want (like why do you want to know how to handle a firearm?), you could try training with a BB gun. Draw, stance and aim are just the same as realsteel. Just doesn't make the big bang noise and kill people. There is lots of pistol training advice on Youtube.

Semi automatic and revolver type handguns are pretty much illegal to own or use.

Original Poster

Monkeybusiness

Only handguns that are legal in the UK for civilians are 'black powder', … Only handguns that are legal in the UK for civilians are 'black powder', used by historical buffs. Think Musket type guns, duelling pistols from the 17th century and earlier. There used to be at least one indoor firing range for these in London. Personally, wouldn't bother 'cos they're nothing like modern firearms.Your could think about day trips to Boulogne. Pretty good gun club over there. French gun laws are a lot easier than UK. It might be possible to arrange a couple of day trips and get checked out on pistols. Would take some research on your part first tho.Alternatively, depending on the end result you want (like why do you want to know how to handle a firearm?), you could try training with a BB gun. Draw, stance and aim are just the same as realsteel. Just doesn't make the big bang noise and kill people. There is lots of pistol training advice on Youtube.Semi automatic and revolver type handguns are pretty much illegal to own or use.

Thanks. Thought as much over here. Can't blame them for such control as there's obviously too many nuts around to make it easy to just go and shoot one.

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00ieJtANMIlqgz/Arcade-Game-Games-Machine-Arcade-Game-Machine-Gun-Blade-NY-SD-.jpg]http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00ieJtANMIlqgz/Arcade-Game-Games-Machine-Arcade-Game-Machine-Gun-Blade-NY-SD-.jpg

CyDoNiA

Thanks. Thought as much over here. Can't blame them for such control as … Thanks. Thought as much over here. Can't blame them for such control as there's obviously too many nuts around to make it easy to just go and shoot one.

Used to be legal to own pistols here up to the late 1990's.
Practical pistol was a popular sport. Target shooting based on FBI training methodology.
Something that Brits have always been very good at.

Since they've been made illegal, the gun related murder rate increased (!) steadily until 2005ish when it started dropping back to pre-ban number. Go figure.

Seriously worth considering training with a BB gun tho. Looks, feels and acts like the real thing. Just less drama and no accidently dead people. Have a look into your local airsoft shop.

Pre-ban, the most common single gun related injury in the UK was... People shooting themselves in the butt when drawing the weapon!

Banned

Your fiancee has a screw loose. What does she hope to gain by firing a hand gun?

Original Poster

ifrazalam

Your fiancee has a screw loose. What does she hope to gain by firing a … Your fiancee has a screw loose. What does she hope to gain by firing a hand gun?

Bit harsh. She merely would like to experience firing a handgun. I see nothing wrong with that. I would like to as well as long as it is in a safe enviroment. Same as people want to experience shark diving etc. Same way I wanted to experience driving high performance sports cars.

Agricultural Fair...County Show...Game Fair, usually on in spring/summer but alot of them have clay pigeon shoots where you can just turn up, pay 30 quid, shout "PULL!!" & fire away

I do honestly want to try shooting myself.

But can only do rifle.

Which although does interest me, doesn't interest me as much as shooting a handgun.

Go clay shooting with a Shotgun, more fun than shooting a handgun at a target.

DarkEnergy2012

Agricultural Fair...County Show...Game Fair, usually on in spring/summer … Agricultural Fair...County Show...Game Fair, usually on in spring/summer but alot of them have clay pigeon shoots where you can just turn up, pay 30 quid, shout "PULL!!" & fire away

I've not seen someone use a handgun to shoot a clay. I guess it's exclusive to your planet
Edited by: "gizmouk" 24th Jan 2013

Jumpingphil

It's a lot harder to shoot yourself with a rifle.It's so much easier with … It's a lot harder to shoot yourself with a rifle.It's so much easier with a handgun.

Aye that is true ;-)

Banned

CyDoNiA

Bit harsh. She merely would like to experience firing a handgun. I see … Bit harsh. She merely would like to experience firing a handgun. I see nothing wrong with that. I would like to as well as long as it is in a safe enviroment. Same as people want to experience shark diving etc. Same way I wanted to experience driving high performance sports cars.

Yeah but ...... guns are designed to kill.

Maybe she's preparing herself for the future if it all goes wrong.

Just saying.

olympians

I do honestly want to try shooting myself.But can only do rifle.Which … I do honestly want to try shooting myself.But can only do rifle.Which although does interest me, doesn't interest me as much as shooting a handgun.

Jumpingphil

It's a lot harder to shoot yourself with a rifle.It's so much easier with … It's a lot harder to shoot yourself with a rifle.It's so much easier with a handgun.

You get a hole new outlook on life, either way.

I use to go clay pigeon shooting, obvioulsy with a shotgun, loads of clubs around if you fancy that.

whatsThePoint

loads of ranges near me, its not as if guns are banned

Where would that be as I dont think you have ever mentioned it? oO

(_;)

You could always go down the route of a long barrelled pistol which are still uk legal.... but you would have to be a member of a home office approved club, or look on topguntours.co.uk no uk shooting but have a look anyway

I thought all handguns were made illegal after Dunblane

You could try Manchester, you can buy a one freely and shoot it anywhere, although Moss side is a personal favorite of the gun toting people here.

MrToast

You could try Manchester, you can buy a one freely and shoot it anywhere, … You could try Manchester, you can buy a one freely and shoot it anywhere, although Moss side is a personal favorite of the gun toting people here.

I just knew someone would say Manchester.. out of all the cities it could been had to be Manchester.

Funny thing is being from Manchester couldn't really be further from the truth, London now that has gun crime culture setting in, but Manchester never seen it, and i lived around moss side way, don't get me wrong its rough as buggery, but its no gun capital of the UK.

Whats the thrill of guns anyhoo? sure there are far better things to do than fire bits of metal at paper targets.

haritori

Funny thing is being from Manchester couldn't really be further from the … Funny thing is being from Manchester couldn't really be further from the truth, London now that has gun crime culture setting in, but Manchester never seen it, and i lived around moss side way, don't get me wrong its rough as buggery, but its no gun capital of the UK.Whats the thrill of guns anyhoo? sure there are far better things to do than fire bits of metal at paper targets.

Lol there was a shooting there 3 days ago

MrToast

Lol there was a shooting there 3 days ago

Make that 2 days ago

itv.com/new…ng/

Monkeybusiness

Only handguns that are legal in the UK for civilians are 'black powder', … Only handguns that are legal in the UK for civilians are 'black powder', used by historical buffs. Think Musket type guns, duelling pistols from the 17th century and earlier. There used to be at least one indoor firing range for these in London. Personally, wouldn't bother 'cos they're nothing like modern firearms.Your could think about day trips to Boulogne. Pretty good gun club over there. French gun laws are a lot easier than UK. It might be possible to arrange a couple of day trips and get checked out on pistols. Would take some research on your part first tho.Alternatively, depending on the end result you want (like why do you want to know how to handle a firearm?), you could try training with a BB gun. Draw, stance and aim are just the same as realsteel. Just doesn't make the big bang noise and kill people. There is lots of pistol training advice on Youtube.Semi automatic and revolver type handguns are pretty much illegal to own or use.

Wrong, after receiving your relevant quals from a gun range, it is legal to purchase and own long barrel revolvers and other high cal firearms

Original Poster

It was just because my fiancée wanted to experience firing a handgun really. Thanks for all the info. She hasn't mentioned it in a while so I don't think she is that bothered now was just an idea for a surprise for her.

CyDoNiA

It was just because my fiancée wanted to experience firing a handgun … It was just because my fiancée wanted to experience firing a handgun really. Thanks for all the info. She hasn't mentioned it in a while so I don't think she is that bothered now was just an idea for a surprise for her.

I am glad to hear you are getting along better and she no longer wants to shoot you! oO

Was once a full bore pistol shooter in the UK until the ban at which point I had to hand in my 4 top quality handguns. I now live in France and belong to a shooting club where every calibre of pistol and rifle are shot. On frequent trips to USA I found the rules to be different in different states...but generally you can go to any shooting shop/range and shoot for the day very cheaply on production of your driving licence or other id. Hope this is helpful.

Original Poster

Grayjay

Was once a full bore pistol shooter in the UK until the ban at which … Was once a full bore pistol shooter in the UK until the ban at which point I had to hand in my 4 top quality handguns. I now live in France and belong to a shooting club where every calibre of pistol and rifle are shot. On frequent trips to USA I found the rules to be different in different states...but generally you can go to any shooting shop/range and shoot for the day very cheaply on production of your driving licence or other id. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the info. We may go back to the states at some point so maybe that is one way to do it safely (and legally).

Wow some people are miss guided. It is possible to shoot for fun I think I need to point this out as some think guns are only for murder. If you don't understand or have any experience please don't comment and I mean that in the nicest way. Shooting a gun is like having a fast car, you can't need a car that has 500hp and does 200mph but it's fun same as big motorcycles, jumping out of planes and watching boobs wobble. Non of them should be interesting but they are all things that make life worth living

I had a shotgun license & 3 guns up until 18 months ago, where my time commitments with family meant I had to give them up.

It was really enjoyable shooting clays & the misses even got involved in it.

I'd love to go pistol shooting as well, but unfortunately, like most things in this country, the few spoil it for the rest of us......
Edited by: "ChrisUK" 11th Dec 2013

CyDoNiA

My fiancee has said she would like to shoot a hand gun and I have been … My fiancee has said she would like to shoot a hand gun and I have been looking around for any ranges in the UK that allow it. I can't really find anything and that may be understandable but does anyone know anywhere that allows that. Background checks etc are all fine with me, whatever is needed I'm just curious as to if ranges even exist in the UK for people to go and, under supervison, legally fire a handgun.Failing UK places we might be going back to the states for a few weeks this year so maybe that would be the better option. Just not sure where the law stands over here and if you need to have gone through full firearms training and certification before shooting one at a range.I assume the latter is probably the case but any sensible replies are welcome.

Hi

I am English and ex army and still fire regularly however due to uk gun laws it's not possible to fire a hand gun in the uk however you can and I regularly travel to Prague or Poland for the weekend and have a days shooting on a range for vary little if you travel with easy jet and stay in a hostel which although doesant sound great are actually quite pleasant
Flights from stanstead to Poland are around 25 pounds each way then a double room in a hostel is around 18 pounds
You can get 70 shots in total on a range package with an English speaking instructor firing weapons from hand guns eg the glock 17 which is great for beginners to the well known AK47 shotguns and the British made HK mp5 used by our police and special forces for 59 pounds per person with a company called grotgun they even pick you up and drop you off at your accommodation so no need for transport worries the hole weekend costs around 150 per person which I think is pretty good grotgun.com/pag…spx there's a link to there web sight
I shall be taking my father inlaw in March who is a complete novice hope this helps

Original Poster

Nobu112

HiI am English and ex army and still fire regularly however due to uk gun … HiI am English and ex army and still fire regularly however due to uk gun laws it's not possible to fire a hand gun in the uk however you can and I regularly travel to Prague or Poland for the weekend and have a days shooting on a range for vary little if you travel with easy jet and stay in a hostel which although doesant sound great are actually quite pleasant Flights from stanstead to Poland are around 25 pounds each way then a double room in a hostel is around 18 pounds You can get 70 shots in total on a range package with an English speaking instructor firing weapons from hand guns eg the glock 17 which is great for beginners to the well known AK47 shotguns and the British made HK mp5 used by our police and special forces for 59 pounds per person with a company called grotgun they even pick you up and drop you off at your accommodation so no need for transport worries the hole weekend costs around 150 per person which I think is pretty good http://www.grotgun.com/pages/shootingform.aspx there's a link to there web sight I shall be taking my father inlaw in March who is a complete novice hope this helps

Good to know will look into this. Thanks.

I belong to the NRA hold a FAC and own a long barrel revolver of which is legal fires 38 special and 357 rounds which has an 300mm barrel and arm brace And many rifles . Join a local rifle club or the NRA then you will be able to use one been shooting for over 45 years one of the safest sports around

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions