Handheld speed gun, did I get caught speeding or am I okay?

Found 19th May
I live in Dorset and on Wednesday I was driving home after work on a 30 road. All of a sudden I saw a full black uniformed police officer with a white hat 300 Yards from me with a speed gun pointing at me (no marked police car to be seen). I panicked and pumped the brakes once reducing my speed from 34-35 to around 23. He then put the speed gun down and as I drove past him slowly pointed at me and gave me the “slow down” and gesture, I continued my journey home with my heart thumping.

My worry is am I safe? Or should I be expecting a letter through the post.

My speed was creeping up to 35 and as soon as I hit 35 I braked straight away as that’s when I noticed him.

Can someone please advise as I’m worried and having sleepless nights. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
You're having sleepless nights about a speeding ticket? Grow up.
Op is definitely going to prison.
27 Comments
If he made a gesture u may get a reprieve but the only thing u can do is wait! Normally within a few weeks a letter in post so I’m told anyway
If it's a hand held then he would have stopped you if you were speeding. He was just doing an "awareness" thing for drivers. You won't get a ticket.
White hat is traffic officer. No need to worry as he would have stopped you and given you a fixed penalty there and than. Police forces generally apply a guidance of 10% and 2mph over speed limit.
33822538-KN81d.jpgEven if they did prosecute at that speed you would most likely get a speed awareness course option rather than a fine.
craigstephens23 m ago

Exactly

Now go borrow a tomtom or similar satnav and find out how accurate your speedo is. Mine is out by 10% and so is my wofe's and my son's. So 35 woudl be 32. If in North Wales, that means time in chokey. In more enlightened places, you may get away with it
Install this. Mapfactor on your phone. Set a destination that got won't go to... Set the navigating sound to off, but keep the speed camera notification on. Turn display off and drive. It will warn you when you are at the speed limit (you can adjust this to + or - a set number of mph). It's a great navigation system and that's just one of the tools.
I was stopped by one of these. As dangerous as I was doing 38-39 odd in a 30, the officer put himself in front of my car quite dangerously to get me to stop.

He probably was trying to get you to stop but it probably wasn’t viable considering the road conditions.
deleted396333
Ah the good old 10% ‘allowance’
Why not do 30 or lower in a 30 limit and you won't have this problem? Annoys me when people drive at about 45-55 in a 60 and then as soon as a 30 limit comes in they drive at about 40 as school kids are walking down the pavement and crossing the road etc. It's like they have zero confidence to go 60 in a 60, and are complete idiots for going so fast in a 30. To hell with them I say
To answer your questions ;

My worry is am I safe? Or should I be expecting a letter through the post?

I would expect the worse that you will receive a letter in the post, if you've not after 30days or so, I'd guess you can sleep easy.

As the officer made a 'slow down' gesture, I'd hazard a guess he's let you off with a 'warning' though.
I've got away with this so many times. I've thought ticket on the way but nothing came through post. All you can do is wait and cough up if anything comes through post. I was following a tractor throwing mud and stones off wheels in February. First chance I got where roads turned to duel lane I floored the gas and over took only do see a speed trap. They know where to sit! Was in a 40 and I think I was doing 45. Got away with it windscreen in tacked. A few years back a tractor tyre stone flew up and took my windscreen out once. I hate following tractors. Think I get caught speeding one of these day though!
Edited by: "wayners" 19th May
wayners14 m ago

I've got away with this so many times. I've thought ticket on the way but …I've got away with this so many times. I've thought ticket on the way but nothing came through post. All you can do is wait and cough up if anything comes through post. I was following a tractor throwing mud and stones off wheels in February. First chance I got where roads turned to duel lane I floored the gas and over took only do see a speed trap. They know where to sit! Was in a 40 and I think I was doing 45. Got away with it windscreen in tacked. A few years back a tractor tyre stone flew up and took my windscreen out once. I hate following tractors. Think I get caught speeding one of these day though!

Ever thought about sitting back from them?

Whether your 8 feet or 100 feet behind them you're still going the same speed..
The Police know how to show a bit of common sense and leniency.
I hammered past a slip road once, just as a traffic car was coming into the road.
Blue lights came on, needless to say the poop started to flow. I pulled into a lay-by, they tooted, flashed lights and went on, turning the Blues off.
Chances are you are OK.
Unless it has changed, NIP has to be issued within 14 days of the offence.
Don't assume that because you weren't stopped that you won't get a NIP.
If you do get one, chances are with a minor infraction, you will be offered a Speed Awareness Course as an alternative to fine/3points. Good option.
Occupational hazard of driving, but a good satnav with fixed speed camera database and speed limit display is a good investment.
adamderak3 h, 5 m ago

White hat is traffic officer. No need to worry as he would have stopped …White hat is traffic officer. No need to worry as he would have stopped you and given you a fixed penalty there and than. Police forces generally apply a guidance of 10% and 2mph over speed limit.[Image] Even if they did prosecute at that speed you would most likely get a speed awareness course option rather than a fine.

Speed awareness course is arguably a £90 fine.
andynicol3 h, 13 m ago

Ever thought about sitting back from them? Whether your 8 feet or 100 feet …Ever thought about sitting back from them? Whether your 8 feet or 100 feet behind them you're still going the same speed..

Yeah I do now. Hang well back but when windscreen got taken out I was about a tennis court length back as mud flying everywhere. Its a tractor. That what happens I guess. I wave others cars by now and use as a shield
artnada8 h, 1 m ago

If it's a hand held then he would have stopped you if you were speeding. …If it's a hand held then he would have stopped you if you were speeding. He was just doing an "awareness" thing for drivers. You won't get a ticket.

I was not stopped from a handheld and still got a fine this was a long time ago and the awareness courses not around then (from what I recall)
ch7leach5 m ago

I was not stopped from a handheld and still got a fine this was a long …I was not stopped from a handheld and still got a fine this was a long time ago and the awareness courses not around then (from what I recall)

You sure it wasn’t a mobile speed camera? Like a van?
seckinboy1 h, 33 m ago

You sure it wasn’t a mobile speed camera? Like a van?

No van just a guy standing there with a gun. Probably 15-20 years ago from what I can remember
ch7leach2 h, 6 m ago

No van just a guy standing there with a gun. Probably 15-20 years ago from …No van just a guy standing there with a gun. Probably 15-20 years ago from what I can remember

That’s odd, should have took it to court because back then speed guns were less reliable
Op is definitely going to prison.
seckinboy8 h, 16 m ago

That’s odd, should have took it to court because back then speed guns were …That’s odd, should have took it to court because back then speed guns were less reliable

Nonsense
Relax op you got away with it.
bedtime reading during those sleepless nights

rac.co.uk/dri…es/
You got away with it Op. Just let it be a lesson to stick to the speed limit, next time that 5mph might make the difference in not hitting a toddler who suddenly decided they wanted to run into the road.

If the 30 limit seems a bit strict in places its usually because an accident has happened there before.
Aren't those cameras slightly inaccurate and they need to "lock" on for a few seconds to give an average speed reading?

If your braked straight away his measuring would not have been done and you got away with it. I would worry... if your were well over the speed limit as he could clearly see it and the first reading would have been very high.
Edited by: "gcmarcal" 21st May
You're good - he needs to capture going at a high speed for longer than a second or two.
J
umping on the brakes saved you but it's not particularly safe - if there was a car behind you it could have caused an accident.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants