Handing back/trading in PCP car without final year of service?

Posted 10th Feb
Basically what are the rules on this?

I've taken out a 4 year PCP. Car registered on either 08/09 Dec (log book issue date as per gov.uk) and PCP agreement dated 09 Dec (date I picked up the car and signed everything).

I'm pricing up service plan over the PCP. First 3 services are reasonable. The 4th year service is notably more expensive. You pay the total cost over 10 months and then don't have to worry for the period.

Will there be any impact if I hand car back at exactly 4 years old without the 4th year service done? Presumably garage can do it at cost (figure a lot of what the 4th service costs the consumer is markup/ridiculous labour charge vs what the technician is actually paid).

If I trade in PCP a little early (assuming some equity) to put against another vehicle assume the 4th service is not an issue?

As such figuring to pay for 3 years servicing now. If I trade in a little early then I haven't wasted on the 4th service and if I decide to keep until last day or make the final payment, I can just figure at the time if I need to get the service or not?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
"Rules" would normally form part of the contract signed by the leasee, and if traded-in early any associated cost to leasor is normally factored into any applicable early termination fee(s).
Main dealer service ?.
Car over 3 years old take to local garage, get it cheaper.
Call lease company and ask for info.
My friend had a mini on 3 year lease and returned it 1 day early and was not charged any thing extra nor did she pay for the service.
Never had any issues doing as it as described before. Although normally got the service plan thrown in for free as part of the negotiating. You would normally change/look "early" anyhow especially if you are spec'ing a car and allowing for a few months delivery. I take it your mileage won't mean needing the 4th service during the second/third year? Just remember it's mileage or years, whichever comes first. On your dates side of things, possibly your payments are actually 47 and not 48 which is normally how it works (well any I've taken that way have been 35/47 as they normally class your PCP final payment as being the 36/48th)
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 10th Feb
cecilmcroberts10/02/2020 11:28

Never had any issues doing as it as described before. Although normally …Never had any issues doing as it as described before. Although normally got the service plan thrown in for free as part of the negotiating. You would normally change/look "early" anyhow especially if you are spec'ing a car and allowing for a few months delivery. I take it your mileage won't mean needing the 4th service during the second/third year? Just remember it's mileage or years, whichever comes first. On your dates side of things, possibly your payments are actually 47 and not 48 which is normally how it works (well any I've taken that way have been 35/47 as they normally class your PCP final payment as being the 36/48th)

Yeah shouldn't have a problem with regards to mileage I think. And 47 payments.

I need to take a look at the contract properly when I get home. Just seems unreasonable to expect a service on exactly the 4th anniversary when they know people may very well hand the car back or trade in on that date.
bigwheels10/02/2020 11:27

Main dealer service ?.Car over 3 years old take to local garage, get it …Main dealer service ?.Car over 3 years old take to local garage, get it cheaper.Call lease company and ask for info.My friend had a mini on 3 year lease and returned it 1 day early and was not charged any thing extra nor did she pay for the service.

5 year warranty with Hyundai. I haven't looked at contract but assume it will require OEM servicing as part of the PCP agreement, to maintain the warranty. The manufacturer service quotes for years 1-3 are not bad, just that 4th year is expensive and seems like a complete waste if I don't keep the car.
Cameron9210/02/2020 11:39

Yeah shouldn't have a problem with regards to mileage I think. And 47 …Yeah shouldn't have a problem with regards to mileage I think. And 47 payments. I need to take a look at the contract properly when I get home. Just seems unreasonable to expect a service on exactly the 4th anniversary when they know people may very well hand the car back or trade in on that date.

None that I've ever had expected it, if that helps you any as technically if you hand back without paying the final sum it's 47 months old. (Mileage permitting not needing the 4th). Is a law saying that you can service outside of garage long as it is proved to be of the standard they have layed out and using manufacturer parts, but in a PCP arrangement they can lay out whatever terms they wish, which is normally must be manufacture garage. Also a pain if anything does go wrong and you end up having to go to garage that told you they used the correct parts etc etc, really not worth the hassle. Personally I would do exately what you are doing with the 3 year plan (long as your mileage is fine)
Are you trading in our selling to someone else?
I'm in a similar situation.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants