Handy(wo)man Question

Found 25th Feb
This is the current state of my gutter. My next door neighbours have asked me to get it fixed as the rain comes down onto their property. However I’m skint but am somewhat handy when it comes to DIY. Any ideas the easiest fix?
2899942-FnoAQ.jpg

Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
You could bodge it with gaffa tape but as you'll have to go to the hassle of getting up there anyway, might as well just buy a new bit of guttering and do it properly.
Shengis6 m ago

You could bodge it with gaffa tape but as you'll have to go to the hassle …You could bodge it with gaffa tape but as you'll have to go to the hassle of getting up there anyway, might as well just buy a new bit of guttering and do it properly.

It’s easy enough to get up there as there’s a roof below that I can climb out of a bedroom window to get to - if gaffer tape would just do the job
just nip down to your local (cheap!) DIY place and replace the guttering (that you need to)..I might be tempted to take the wooden framework off, it seems to be adding stress to the guttering?
It looks like you may need a couple of these too, the tags become brittle with age and invariably snap off when you unclip the guttering, one of yours is already broken off.

wickes.co.uk/Wic…618
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 25th Feb
I think they covered this on Blue Peter. All you need is an enough washing up bottle, some double - sided tape and a piece of silver tinsel.... Or you could do it properly.
Gaffer tape. Get it done properly, done & dusted once for all. Gaffer tape won't last long & you'll be climbing up again not for long again, wasting more time & effort. Plus it will look much more nicer than tape repairs. Do you have a lot of time on your hands?
When you're doing it properly take note of cutting the guttering correctly - there's an expansion gap you need to consider (obvious when you inspect the fittings).
Half a 2 litre bottle and run it sealing the joints
I have to agree with others and say do it properly. If the situation was reversed would you be happy with a bodged fix when your trying to protect your property?
Its not expensive and will save further aggravation with the neighbours.

It might be worth searching places like freecycle and schpock (for example) as some people give away offcuts and spare bits free.
Try Toolstation as they are cheaper than Wickes.
Agree with doing it properly .... down the line if you bodge it up and it leaks into someone elses home their insurance
company might just come looking for a payout......
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants