Found 23rd Apr 2009
Not celebrated or acknowledged enough in my opinion so Happy St Georges day to you all x

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
117 Comments

Original Poster

http://profilestyling.com/pics/flower045.gif

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Magenta"]Right back atcha!:thumbsup:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Happy St George's Day :thumbsup:

Happy St. Georges Day everyone:-D

Banned

So how is everyone celebrating today?

Happy St Georges Day to you too

[COLOR="Red"][CENTER]Happy St. Georges Day to all xx[/CENTER][/COLOR]
[CENTER]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/frugal_dougal/St_George_02.jpg[/CENTER]

Banned

Yes, happy "pointless and meaningless day" to everyone

Happy Day of St George everyone!
http://www.google.co.uk/logos/stgeorge09.gif

Happy St George's day to you to, I've got the ENGLISH flag up behind me at work. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

DanJackson;5006670

Richard Cranium I think

DanJackson;5006670

Helmet...

Happy St Georges Day

Happy St Georges Day to all

can we mark add "if offended by the concept, please do not enter" on thread title...... dont want over pc brigade spamming it.

MinstrelMan;5006795

Happy St Georges Day to allcan we mark add "if offended by the concept, … Happy St Georges Day to allcan we mark add "if offended by the concept, please do not enter" on thread title...... dont want over pc brigade spamming it.

+1 :thumbsup:

Banned

MinstrelMan;5006795

Happy St Georges Day to allcan we mark add "if offended by the concept, … Happy St Georges Day to allcan we mark add "if offended by the concept, please do not enter" on thread title...... dont want over pc brigade spamming it.

Why do you assume that a) there's a 'PC brigade' when and b) they'd be anti-St George's Day?

What's everyone doing to celebrate apart from hanging an ENGLISH (?) flag behind them?

FilthAndFurry;5006906

Why do you assume that a) there's a 'PC brigade' when and b) they'd be … Why do you assume that a) there's a 'PC brigade' when and b) they'd be anti-St George's Day?What's everyone doing to celebrate apart from hanging an ENGLISH (?) flag behind them?

Are you celebrating today f&f ?

FilthAndFurry;5006906

Why do you assume that a) there's a 'PC brigade' when and b) they'd be … Why do you assume that a) there's a 'PC brigade' when and b) they'd be anti-St George's Day?

you're shittin me, right?

Banned

MinstrelMan;5006914

you're shittin me, right?

Not really. I mean, the obvious assumption is that they'd be against nationalistic displays for 'fear of offending minorities'. But that's just silly.

The image of Saint George, renowned for his defense of all in need, is among the most well-recognized of Christian martyrdom figures. Primarily famous for being the Patron Saint of England (replacing the former patron, Edward the Confessor), George is also known as "Victory Bringer" and "The Quick to Hear." Of the man himself, very little can be considered a certainty, save that he lived during the Fourth Century and was executed by decapitation in Lydda, Palestine. He was most probably born in Cappadocia of noble, Christian parents and, upon the death of his father, accompanied his mother to Palestine, her country of origin, where she owned land and where George may have been expected to oversee the estate but instead, chose the life of a military man.

The earliest literary reference to Saint George comes from Eusebius of Caesarea who, in 322 A.D., writes of a noble-born soldier of high rank the Roman army, being thrown into prison for vehemently disagreeing with Emperor Diocletian's persecution of Christians and, despite being tortured, refused to recant his beliefs. The following day, April 23, 303, he was dragged through the streets of Nicomedia and beheaded. The Emperor's wife, Alexandria, was so impressed at the soldier's courage, that she converted immediately to the Christian faith and was also put to death. Although it seems likely that this "noble-born soldier" and the personage who was later to be known as "Saint George" are indeed one and the same, this telling makes no mention of the nobleman's name, country of birth or place of interment.

According to the unauthenticated Acta Sancti Georgii ("Acts of St. George"), written at a very early date and various versions of which have been embraced in the Eastern Church since the Fifth Century, George held the rank of tribune in the Roman army and was beheaded by the Emperor Diocletian for speaking out against the Emperor's persecution of Christians. Thus, he became rapidly exalted as an example of courage in defense of the poor, the helpless and the Christian faith.

Saint George was probably first made known in England by Arculpus and Adamnan some time during the early Eighth Century when the "Acts of St. George," which recounted George's visits to Caerleon and Glastonbury while on Roman service in England, were translated into Anglo-Saxon. Many churches were dedicated to Saint George, such as one in Doncaster during 1061. He was adopted as the Patron Saint of soldiers after he was said to have appeared to the crusading armies during the Battle of Antioch in 1098. Many such similar stories were transmitted to the West by Crusaders who heard them from Byzantine troops. The tales were circulated even further by the troubadours. When Richard I (also known as "The Lionheart") was campaigning in Palestine during 1191 and 1192, he put his army under the direct protection of Saint George. Due to his widespread following, particularly in the Near East, and the many miracles which were coming to be attributed to him, George became universally recognized as a saint sometime after 900. In 1222, the Synod of Oxford declared that a special celebration in his honor would take place every April 23 and, by the end of the Fourteenth Century, Saint George had been officially acknowledged as the Patron Saint of England. In 1415, the year of Agincourt, Archbishop Chichele raised Saint George's Day to an even greater feast and ordered that it should be observed like Christmas Day. By 1778 however, the holiday had reverted to a simple day of devotion for English Catholics.

(from the brain of ctuk... not googled!)

Original Poster

DanJackson;5006670

Same to you :thumbsup:

Banned

smithyp1;5006912

Are you celebrating today f&f ?

Well I'm going to sit around in my dressing gown for a couple of hours, play a bit of Xbox and some pool and then go for a run.

I like to think it's what St George would've approved of.

FilthAndFurry;5006932

Not really. I mean, the obvious assumption is that they'd be against … Not really. I mean, the obvious assumption is that they'd be against nationalistic displays for 'fear of offending minorities'. But that's just silly.

Correct, but there are silly people everywhere and those that enjoy being difficult, especially on here.... You've only been registered since Feb, don't worry you'll see it on here in due course and one day my son, you'll be as cynical as me.

Banned

ctuk;5006935

He was adopted as the Patron Saint of soldiers after he was said to have … He was adopted as the Patron Saint of soldiers after he was said to have appeared to the crusading armies during the Battle of Antioch in 1098. Many such similar stories were transmitted to the West by Crusaders who heard them from Byzantine troops. The tales were circulated even further by the troubadours. When Richard I (also known as "The Lionheart") was campaigning in Palestine during 1191 and 1192, he put his army under the direct protection of Saint George. Due to his widespread following, particularly in the Near East, and the many miracles which were coming to be attributed to him, George became universally recognized as a saint sometime after 900.

Yeah....some people might be offended by that part of his history.

Also, dragon slaying is offensive to dragons and also other mythological creatures. The Orc Civil Liberties Union will protest outside your castle.

Pompous intellectuall tw*t

aimed at no-one inparticular, on the behalf of A N Other.

Banned

St George was not English, but an immigrant working over here slaying dragons.

Oh, the irony.

Happy St. George's Day Everyone

DanJackson;5006980

St George was not English, but an immigrant working over here slaying … St George was not English, but an immigrant working over here slaying dragons. Oh, the irony.

Oh so some of them do work then?

Banned

MinstrelMan;5006996

Oh so some of them do work then?

It's a full time job conforming to your stereotypical views. Many of them have starred in some of your favourite tabloid headlines.

hey everyone happy st georges day,im havin a party got my england flags up and bunting everywhere,made an england cake last night and now im sortin out all my english food and beer selection

have a great day every one

japsapa;5007008

and now im sortin out all my english food and beer selection

Can i come? I love curry and stella!

Banned

DanJackson;5006980

St George was not English, but an immigrant working over here slaying … St George was not English, but an immigrant working over here slaying dragons. Oh, the irony.

He's also the patron saint of syphallis.

and leprosy.

and herpes.

and skin disorders.

FilthAndFurry;5007006

It's a full time job conforming to your stereotypical views. Many of them … It's a full time job conforming to your stereotypical views. Many of them have starred in some of your favourite tabloid headlines.

Me? stereotype? you got me all wrong.

A thread like this appears and its a dead cert who will be posting in it.:-D

Well today is my wedding anniversary. Got married 5 yrs ago in Gibraltar. There, they really do celebrate St. George's day. How patriotic of us to get married on today of all days.
Have a great day today everyone. I know I will.

Banned

kyalion;5007062

Well today is my wedding anniversary. Got married 5 yrs ago in Gibraltar. … Well today is my wedding anniversary. Got married 5 yrs ago in Gibraltar. There, they really do celebrate St. George's day. How patriotic of us to get married on today of all days. Have a great day today everyone. I know I will.

Happy anniversary.

deb8z;5007052

A thread like this appears and its a dead cert who will be posting in … A thread like this appears and its a dead cert who will be posting in it.:-D

and who will be here to point out those people :lol:

also wheres vibeone? :lol:

FilthAndFurry;5007068

Happy anniversary.

Thanks, man.

MinstrelMan;5007072

and who will be here to point out those people :lol:also wheres vibeone? … and who will be here to point out those people :lol:also wheres vibeone? :lol:

I don't usually point,its rude, but i thought i would on this occasion.:-D

Original Poster

FilthAndFurry;5007025

He's also the patron saint of syphallis.and leprosy.and herpes.and skin … He's also the patron saint of syphallis.and leprosy.and herpes.and skin disorders.

Ahh that's me covered lol

Right guys - I started this thread to wish everyone a Happy St Georges day as I similarly did with St Patricks. I do not wish to create more work for the mods keeping an eye on this thread. Should you wish to have a discussion about the validity of St George etc please feel free but don't argue and resort to personal attacks - love you all

fireheaven;5007100

Ahh that's me covered lolRight guys - I started this thread to wish … Ahh that's me covered lolRight guys - I started this thread to wish everyone a Happy St Georges day as I similarly did with St Patricks. I do not wish to create more work for the mods keeping an eye on this thread. Should you wish to have a discussion about the validity of St George etc please feel free but don't argue and resort to personal attacks - love you all

out of curiosity FH, did you get difficult people similarly commenting in the St Paddys thread?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 192 ***721
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769569
    3. Star Wars The Last Jedi1331
    4. Did you know?3055

See more discussions