Groups

Hard Drive Defrag...

I am defragging my Hard drive using Defraggler...

Is it supposed to reduce the amount of free space on the hard drive?

17 Comments

NO, its suppose to free up space!

Original Poster

bernyrabbit

NO, its suppose to free up space!

That's what I thought but i am 60% through it and it has taken up a few more gig?!?! :s

Original Poster

dcx_badass

No it isn't, it's supposed to re-arrange the files so that things run a … No it isn't, it's supposed to re-arrange the files so that things run a bit quicker, so space should stay the same, it rarely makes a difference though.

It's taken up like an extra 20GB? Hmmm

As you use a computer, over time the files become fragmented all over the disk.

Because the files are all over the place it can take longer for Windows to find and access files.

So as has been saids, a de-fragmenter tidies it all up. Putting most of the files all near each other so they can be found quicker (we are talking fractions of a seconds here).

It wont ADD any files, it wont DELETE any files, just tidy them up.

Note. The amount of space on your disk may go down while it is happening as Windows will create temporary files while it is moving files about.
    Edited by: "guilbert53" 4th Aug 2010

Original Poster

guilbert53

As you use a computer, over time the files become fragmented all over the … As you use a computer, over time the files become fragmented all over the disk.Because the files are all over the place it can take longer for Windows to find and access files.So as has been saids, a de-fragmenter tidies it all up. Putting most of the files all near each other so they can be found quicker (we are talking fractions of a seconds here).It wont ADD any files, it wont DELETE any files, just tidy them up.Note. The amount of space on your disk may go down while it is happening as Windows will create temporary files while it is moving files about.

Ahh I see..

Thanks for this guys! Will report back once it's completed

oooh yeah! my bad!

Never really makes a difference on a NTFS formatted hard drive. Maybe if you're still rockin FAT32 but who still uses that!?

guilbert53

As you use a computer, over time the files become fragmented all over the … As you use a computer, over time the files become fragmented all over the disk.Because the files are all over the place it can take longer for Windows to find and access files.So as has been saids, a de-fragmenter tidies it all up. Putting most of the files all near each other so they can be found quicker (we are talking fractions of a seconds here).It wont ADD any files, it wont DELETE any files, just tidy them up.Note. The amount of space on your disk may go down while it is happening as Windows will create temporary files while it is moving files about.

+1 - Agree, as this has a bearing on the amount of fragmentation that's present as well.

oldmanhouse

Never really makes a difference on a NTFS formatted hard drive. Maybe if … Never really makes a difference on a NTFS formatted hard drive. Maybe if you're still rockin FAT32 but who still uses that!?

I would have to disagree with that, as I've seen many systems (with NTFS formatted logical drives) that need to be defragmented to address system performance issues.

does use more then you will find it gives you back that space once the files are re-arranged plus loads more ( well when i use it i get 50gb back normally)

hutchir9

does use more then you will find it gives you back that space once the … does use more then you will find it gives you back that space once the files are re-arranged plus loads more ( well when i use it i get 50gb back normally)

Read Guilbert's post again.
    It doesn't create any new files and it doesn't delete any old files.
    Just re-arranges things. http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/jumpingphil/thumbsup.gif

lol 50GB back!!!that made me chuckle,i need whatever defrag programme your using it sounds amazing :P.

hutchir9

does use more then you will find it gives you back that space once the … does use more then you will find it gives you back that space once the files are re-arranged plus loads more ( well when i use it i get 50gb back normally)

Original Poster

Right defrag complete and it's taken up 20Gb more space than before... Is this normal?

If you're going to defrag Defraggler ( or the Windows version) it makes sense to clean up the your disk first by using Disk Cleanup (also in Windows) or even better ccleaner. Might be a good time to remove unwanted programs too. If you defrag first, you are just moving about temp files that you don't need and it will take a lot longer.

Cleaning THEN defragging is the way to go though it's not such a necessity these days with disks being much larger.

Original Poster

I used ccleaner before defraggler mate!..

399out

I used ccleaner before defraggler mate!..

But you didn't say so mate !

Original Poster

tallpete33

But you didn't say so mate !

Haha, I just did

Can anyone explain why it has taken up more space on my hard drive?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1420
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846154
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?28128
      4. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218

See more discussions