Groups

Hard Drive Failure?? Please Help!!

Hey All,

I have a Maxtor 3200 external hard drive...been running fine for 2 or so years.

Recently, I've noticed that when I try to access certain files/folders on the drive, it simply crashes the computer. I first thought it could be my machine/OS so i tried using another computer and the same thing happens.

I have done a basic 'ScanDisk' check in Windows and its found no errors. I did not select the 'Automatically fix file system errors' or 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors' as the last time I did, it simply just deleted the files rather than fixing them.

I am looking to purchase a new external drive and copy the files over but when trying to do this with my local drive, it simply crashes.

Any help would be appreciated, I have a lot of important data on the drive I cant afford to lose!!

Cheers,

DG

6 Comments

I would suggest fitting a new drive then connect your existing (poorly) drive as a slave drive & then try copying your files.

seagate.com/www…ds/

I have used software from here before to repair faults with fixed hard drives. Maybe they have something for external too. Think it was the Seatools and can be used for various drives.

Original Poster

The copy and paste route aint working too well, it copies a few files before totally crashing!

I've tried using Seatools but I keep getting test unavailable; it does not let me run any tests! I also tried with administratior rights but still aint working!! Arghhh :cry:

Any backup anywhere?

Looks like extract what you can and a big format to me. Not certain of what else might be out there but I usually ask at the link below if I have IT problems. A search may find your question already answered.

pcadvisor.co.uk/for…d=1

Original Poster

Thanks for the tip Murielson, I'll post there and hopefully find a way around this.

Cheers for your help guys!

Thread seems to be going well so hopefully you will get a good solution from PC Advisor.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Important info for Ryanair customers1520
      2. Spotify Family Premium share512
      3. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?914
      4. Virgin Media Broadband Retention Deals34

See more discussions