Hard drive for tv

Posted 9th Jan
I've got a few films that I'd like to put on a hard drive and leave plugged into the TV so that the kids can watch whenever. Does it matter if I use a HDD connected by usb or would it be better to stick to usb sticks? Should I even be considering SSD drives? Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
Some TV USB sockets may be incapable of providing adequate power for a mechanical hard drive. SSD should be OK although arguably expensive compared to pendrives.
I would just use a USB stick to be honest. As above, they don’t require extra power & can be easily taken off and files changed when required
I used the hard drive from my old laptop I threw out, got a connector from eBay for couple quid and it works perfect with my Samsung, I even record some programmes off the tv onto it..
Using an SSD would be pointless. I have used around 10 different 'desktop' 3.5" external drives with various tvs, and about the same number of 'portable' 2.5" drives with various tvs and every one has worked as long as the size is 2TB or smaller. A 2TB portable drive by someone like Western Digital can be had for around £40-55, that would be my recommendation, 1TB wouldn't save you much money.
AndyRoyd09/01/2020 17:34

Some TV USB sockets may be incapable of providing adequate power for a …Some TV USB sockets may be incapable of providing adequate power for a mechanical hard drive. SSD should be OK although arguably expensive compared to pendrives.

I haven't had a single portable drive which gets power from the USB port not work with a TV. A few of my tvs have multiple ports with various amp ratings and they all work.
i use portable hdd powered by the usb on the tv with no problems
The only potential difference is compatibility. There have been a few TVs made that don't like the power draw of HDDs, and the cables aren't always long enough for them to sit comfortably under the TV.

But anything that works will perform the same. Video is very undemanding in terms of drive speed - even blu-ray quality only needs 7MB/s sustained read speeds.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions