Hard Drive question

Found 21st Apr 2011
I bought a refurbished laptop from Currys/PC World Outlet on eBay, the specs said the hard drive was 320GB but when I right mouse click on the the drive in "Computer" it says it is 273.

I checked against my old Dell laptop for which the specs say 250GB and it states that it is 249 with a capacity of 232.

Please help, I reckon they may have changes the drive, is it 320GB?

11 Comments

most likely part of the hard drive is partitioned for emergency recovery options

That sounds about right , did you check what was on the D/drive and allow for the space taken up by the OS.

Original Poster

A7X-MARINE

most likely part of the hard drive is partitioned for emergency recovery … most likely part of the hard drive is partitioned for emergency recovery options

How do I check that?

Also, there is no D/drive just a C as far as I can see?

Banned

A7X-MARINE

most likely part of the hard drive is partitioned for emergency recovery … most likely part of the hard drive is partitioned for emergency recovery options

exactly......

Banned

Right click on your HD in computer
Click on properties, then hardware and see what the drive's model number is

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

Right click on your HD in computer Click on properties, then hardware and … Right click on your HD in computer Click on properties, then hardware and see what the drive's model number is

Thanks, but what do I do with the model number? Is the one that says ATA device?

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

Right click on your HD in computer Click on properties, then hardware and … Right click on your HD in computer Click on properties, then hardware and see what the drive's model number is

Thanks, I found the serial number then googled it to confirm it is a 320GB drive as advertised.

My question is where has the other 50GB gone? Surely an operating system will not need 50GB?

You will never get the full 320gb due to formatting overhead - rule of thumb is about 9% of the total - so the OS partition is taking up more like 40gb.

This sounds like a lot but it is often just an image of the OS and software that shipped as factory default - so includes all the shovelware that came with it - and often a copy of a burnable recovery disc also which could add another 10gb.

Use easeus partition manager to see what's what. It will show you all the partitions etc... At let you manage them. If indeed 50gb has been partitioned and some of it is free I am sure you can repetition a bit of the free space back into the main partition, at least that's what I did

Original Poster

niminator

Use easeus partition manager to see what's what. It will show you all the … Use easeus partition manager to see what's what. It will show you all the partitions etc... At let you manage them. If indeed 50gb has been partitioned and some of it is free I am sure you can repetition a bit of the free space back into the main partition, at least that's what I did

OK cheers, that was really helpful, sorry for the late reply just got back from golf and checked the post.

Original Poster

alternate

You will never get the full 320gb due to formatting overhead - rule of … You will never get the full 320gb due to formatting overhead - rule of thumb is about 9% of the total - so the OS partition is taking up more like 40gb. This sounds like a lot but it is often just an image of the OS and software that shipped as factory default - so includes all the shovelware that came with it - and often a copy of a burnable recovery disc also which could add another 10gb.

OK cheers, that was really helpful, sorry for the late reply just got back from golf and checked the post.
Post a comment
@
    Text