Groups

Hard Drive recovery

Hi,
    I have a hard drive which is reconised by Windows as a USB device in disk management but it does not appear in as a drive within explorer.

It connects, installs the correct driver software but I cannot access the content.

The drive is making a strange noise which I think is trying to say i'm broke but ideally I just want the data. Any hope? Will a peice of dedicated software have more chance? Suggestions?

Thanks

13 Comments

Try spinrite or hdd regenerator.

I'm sorry to say that the driver is about to die, it has the click of death..try doing what you are fast because theres not much time:P

Original Poster

Many thanks. I'll take a look.

Original Poster

No, but I can't really do anything with it in Windows management

Just says Usb Device in device manager and in disk management it states Disk1 unkown, not initialised, When I try to initialise it just states that the device is not ready...

Trying this HDD regenerator but says Please wait...how long should it be left for?

woz

No, but I can't really do anything with it in Windows management Just … No, but I can't really do anything with it in Windows management Just says Usb Device in device manager and in disk management it states Disk1 unkown, not initialised, When I try to initialise it just states that the device is not ready...Trying this HDD regenerator but says Please wait...how long should it be left for?

It'll take quite a while depending on the size of the disk, I did a 100gb disk and left it running over night.

DVS_Dee

It'll take quite a while depending on the size of the disk, I did a 100gb … It'll take quite a while depending on the size of the disk, I did a 100gb disk and left it running over night. HDD regenerators good at repairing dead sectors but it's also worth trying spinrite if your disk is clicking.

Original Poster

Ok, so just a black screen with PLEASE WAIT is usual?

woz

Ok, so just a black screen with PLEASE WAIT is usual?

No, it should go past that (after a little while) and onto the drive analysing stage.

You might be able to restore the partition with all the data on by using a program called Active Partition Recovery, then the drive will show in Windows Explorer.

I also use R-Stuido for recovering data, which is normally pretty good. Also I've had luck with my backup program, Paragon Backup & Recover 10 Suite, which you can explorer the HDD volume and export files.

Hope some of that is of use to you. One last thing, don't use SpinRite on a drive you still want to try and recover data off.
    Edited by: "globalkilla" 1st Mar 2011

Stellar Phoenix, or if that doesn't work and the drive is dead/almost dead go for Spinrite.

Original Poster

Tried with a few apps but no good so far.

I turn the drive on, it makes a slight beeping/buzz sound which eventually stops and is then reconised by Windows, installs the drivers and lists in Device manager but not in My Computer/Explorer.

When I go to disk management it appears as Disk5 but I am unable to inititialise as it states incorrect function.

The drive does appear in HDD regenrator but I am unable to perform any tests and when I try and attempt a fix its states that the master boot record is incorrect and just stays as a black DOS screen stating PLEASE WAIT.

I put SpingRite onto a CD, booted but again no real options for the drive.

I'm presuming this drive has had it but hoped I might have some chance as it was listed in the device manager.

Any other help?

You need to recover the partition info for it to be displayed in Windows Explorer. Like I said in my last post, try Active Partition Recovery for this. Do a search to download it somewhere.

Also like I said in my last post, R-Studio is good and will help you recover files. Again do a search and download it.

Don't use SpinRite on the HDD unless you want to lose your data on it. SpinRite might be able to get the HDD into a usable state again but your data that's currently on it will be no good.

globalkilla

Don't use SpinRite on the HDD unless you want to lose your data on it. … Don't use SpinRite on the HDD unless you want to lose your data on it. SpinRite might be able to get the HDD into a usable state again but your data that's currently on it will be no good.

SpinRite does not discard data it cannot recover so you won't lose your data. It is made for disaster recovery so you should try it. It may take a few days to run but if you've tried everything else then what's the harm.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Outdoor security camera.11
      2. 4K tv with HDR good deal?22
      3. Samsung 4k TVs which one 49/55inch curved? £1.50011
      4. Cheap northface alternatives?33

See more discussions