Hardest decision of my life... a new 4k TV

Posted 29th Jun
I've got a maximum budget of £950 and wanted a 65" TV. But after 2 weeks of reviews, YouTube videos and specs of just about every TV, the more I look into it, the more undecided I get. Current TV "panasonic p50x60b" so I'm guessing all should be an upgrade....

It's like what panel has each got, what year had what panel, advantages/disadvanges of each panel, which was best, how about refresh rate, viewing angles, HDMI version support, burn in, TV software use. Would I get a cheap one 65" inch only to be upset by the picture, or pay twice the price for a 55" only to wish for the bigger picture and to have saved the money.

Damn.... why is this so damn hard....
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
If you want the best viewing experience though it’s 55” it has to be oled , I came from a Panasonic plasma st60 and got a OLED LG and the pic is brilliant
ashmac29/06/2020 12:00

If you want the best viewing experience though it’s 55” it has to be oled , …If you want the best viewing experience though it’s 55” it has to be oled , I came from a Panasonic plasma st60 and got a OLED LG and the pic is brilliant

Did you get the LG B9?
LG C9 end of, don’t worry about burn in. Not saying its a myth but not as common as you think...just don’t leave screen static for ages.
cogder29/06/2020 12:10

Did you get the LG B9?

No I got the b8 from
Currys end of last year for £750
Blimey! You can only hope this is the "hardest decision" you'll ever make in your life. Something tells me it probably won't be but fingers crossed eh?

TV's are very subjective to personal preference. You need to get yourself to a proper shop and actually "view" some - rather than rely on facts, figures and specifications as they can all sound fantastic on paper. I'm a true Panasonic man but everyone has their favourite brand. So many people buy a TV based on it being the best-priced Uber-4K super dupa, ultra, mega-wega spec - and then say - "It's ok.............but."

You've fallen down the rabbit hole, I'm afraid. Overwhelmed by choice. Even your own eyes can see something differently to someone else. I've been to customers who have had big arguments whilst setting up a TV because one sees it differently to another! £950 is a good (but odd figure?) budget so you will get a nice TV for the money but there will always be something better. Always.

This is why viewing 'in person' can be crucial. You are looking for the best TV you can get for your money, right? The key word here is "looking." By viewing, you will "see" the difference between specs, sizes, design etc. and can hear the sound quality (to an extent - they all sound differently once in-home) for yourself. You can see the OSD and guide/settings/options available and experience their performance. Heck, even the remote can be an issue for some.

1) Set a price limit.
2) Set a size limit.

You've done number 1. Great. However, you will be tempted to go over this as; previously said; there will be something better for "just" a bit more!

Number two is important. Decide on the placement within your room of choice and imagine differing TV sizes. It amazes me why people are so obsessed with the biggest TV they can get. Even if it overwhelms the room. They are then too close to the TV and the picture isn't as good as they thought. Yet if they were further away...

I've seen people with 65" (and bigger!) who sit about 6-8' away from it. Each to their own and It's not for me to comment but when they mention the picture isn't quite what they expected, I feel like shouting "Because it's too damn big - and you're too damn close!" Anyway, all I'm saying is judge the right size for the distance you will be comfortable viewing it from. Again, you can do this easily in a shop as you can take a tape measure and check the distance you are from the TV on their display. Don't feel stupid doing this either. It's fine.

Also consider what peripherals you are going to hook up to it. Games consoles, DVD/BR and Pay TV boxes etc. Make sure it will cover any options your equipment requires for the 'best' settings. Plenty of sockets for everything you'll use without the need to buy extenders or switch-boxes. Ask the salesperson as much as you can. They love it when you hit them with questions hehe but it's not their money that's being spent. They might be considered bloodthirsty but there are some very knowledgeable ones who can really offer you some great advice. Especially if you ask them "What would you buy with my budget?" You don't have to take their recommendation, of course.

Good luck with your TV hunt!

All the best, Phsy.
How far away from the TV do you sit? That will largely dictate whether the trade off in image quality is worth the size upgrade.
OLED is the way to go if you want the best picture quality and LG have the monopoly for the price it’s hard to fault LG, you then enter Sony which uses an LG panel but the processors is far superior but you are talking a steep increase. Good luck!
Phsycronix29/06/2020 12:55

Blimey! You can only hope this is the "hardest decision" you'll ever make …Blimey! You can only hope this is the "hardest decision" you'll ever make in your life. Something tells me it probably won't be but fingers crossed eh? TV's are very subjective to personal preference. You need to get yourself to a proper shop and actually "view" some - rather than rely on facts, figures and specifications as they can all sound fantastic on paper. I'm a true Panasonic man but everyone has their favourite brand. So many people buy a TV based on it being the best-priced Uber-4K super dupa, ultra, mega-wega spec - and then say - "It's ok.............but."You've fallen down the rabbit hole, I'm afraid. Overwhelmed by choice. Even your own eyes can see something differently to someone else. I've been to customers who have had big arguments whilst setting up a TV because one sees it differently to another! £950 is a good (but odd figure?) budget so you will get a nice TV for the money but there will always be something better. Always.This is why viewing 'in person' can be crucial. You are looking for the best TV you can get for your money, right? The key word here is "looking." By viewing, you will "see" the difference between specs, sizes, design etc. and can hear the sound quality (to an extent - they all sound differently once in-home) for yourself. You can see the OSD and guide/settings/options available and experience their performance. Heck, even the remote can be an issue for some.1) Set a price limit.2) Set a size limit.You've done number 1. Great. However, you will be tempted to go over this as; previously said; there will be something better for "just" a bit more!Number two is important. Decide on the placement within your room of choice and imagine differing TV sizes. It amazes me why people are so obsessed with the biggest TV they can get. Even if it overwhelms the room. They are then too close to the TV and the picture isn't as good as they thought. Yet if they were further away...I've seen people with 65" (and bigger!) who sit about 6-8' away from it. Each to their own and It's not for me to comment but when they mention the picture isn't quite what they expected, I feel like shouting "Because it's too damn big - and you're too damn close!" Anyway, all I'm saying is judge the right size for the distance you will be comfortable viewing it from. Again, you can do this easily in a shop as you can take a tape measure and check the distance you are from the TV on their display. Don't feel stupid doing this either. It's fine.Also consider what peripherals you are going to hook up to it. Games consoles, DVD/BR and Pay TV boxes etc. Make sure it will cover any options your equipment requires for the 'best' settings. Plenty of sockets for everything you'll use without the need to buy extenders or switch-boxes. Ask the salesperson as much as you can. They love it when you hit them with questions hehe but it's not their money that's being spent. They might be considered bloodthirsty but there are some very knowledgeable ones who can really offer you some great advice. Especially if you ask them "What would you buy with my budget?" You don't have to take their recommendation, of course.Good luck with your TV hunt!All the best, Phsy.

Many thanks for your in-depth reply. Yes marriage, kids, job changes, kids schools and finances have all been an easier choice than this
if you offered me a very high end 55" to a decent midrange 65" I would go for the 65". it's so much more immersive at 65 ". you would immediately see the benefits of the bigger screen. with the superior 55" yes OLED is marvelous but the loss in screen size would not make up for relatively marginal increase in. image quality.
the new high end hi sense 65 inch TV with FALD technology is available for £1000 after £500 cash back from Huawei
cogder29/06/2020 13:05

Many thanks for your in-depth reply. Yes marriage, kids, job changes, kids …Many thanks for your in-depth reply. Yes marriage, kids, job changes, kids schools and finances have all been an easier choice than this

You have a far too easy life.

I have a hard time deciding what socks to put on in the morning...
adamderak29/06/2020 13:09

if you offered me a very high end 55" to a decent midrange 65" I would go …if you offered me a very high end 55" to a decent midrange 65" I would go for the 65". it's so much more immersive at 65 ". you would immediately see the benefits of the bigger screen. with the superior 55" yes OLED is marvelous but the loss in screen size would not make up for relatively marginal increase in. image quality. the new high end hi sense 65 inch TV with FALD technology is available for £1000 after £500 cash back from Huawei

Have you got a link for that? Thank you :-)
adamderak29/06/2020 19:25

Hisense 65U7QFTUK | 65 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart ULED TV | Richer Sounds …Hisense 65U7QFTUK | 65 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart ULED TV | Richer Sounds - https://www.richersounds.com/hisense-65u7qftuk.html

Seems like a great deal but you've got to love who's handling the "Hisense" cashback offer. Run from a cow shed on a farm! I kid you not.

I know, I know - it's probably a converted set of offices but it did make me chuckle!

Yeehaw!
41246616-cvsD3.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants