Found 25th Apr 2008
Can anyone explain to me in a bit more detail what the above is and what id need one for

does anyone no if the BT Voyager 2500v has a hardware firewall built in

6 Comments

You have not made it clear if you understand what a firewall is (hardware or software) or if you want to know only about a hardware firewall and how it may differ from a software firewall.

There is a good overview of firewalls here

evaluateit.co.uk/sma…tml

Even if your router does have a hardware firewall built in that is not enough and you should still have a software firewall on each PC.

I use Zone Alarm which is free for home use. Download from here (on the right of the web page)

zonealarm.com/sto…jsp

Overview of the router here

voyager.bt.com/voi…htm

The page above says:

"Full router functions such as DHCP, NAT, PPPoA/PPPoE and stateful firewall".

vixygwim;1967740

Software firewalls have a huge weakness in that they can be disabled, … Software firewalls have a huge weakness in that they can be disabled, flip the switch.. no more firewall. (by this I mean, if you get infected with some virus... chances are it'll start disabling any protection currently running)Same can't be said for hardware.

You mean if you get a router with a firewall you can't turn it off even if you have problems with it?

Original Poster

thanks for the reply's i geuss i didnt really make it clear what i wanted/needed to no, the software firewall i no about (avg etc) but ive been told the hardware firewall is the best way to go and i wanted to no if my router had a firewall built in and if so how i set it up etc or if anyone new of a decent router i could buy

Most routers come with firewalls now a days, would be hard to find one with out one. Try and avoid the BT routers they are full of un patched easy to exploit vulnerablitys.

Dub1;1967809

thanks for the reply's i geuss i didnt really make it clear what i … thanks for the reply's i geuss i didnt really make it clear what i wanted/needed to no, the software firewall i no about (avg etc)

AVG is best known for its anti virus NOT its firewall.

If you have the AVG free edition it dos NOT include a firewall.

Their Internet Security Suite does include a firewall but you have to pay for that.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Will iPad 2 iOS update slows it down?23
    2. Whey protien633
    3. Home CCTV system advice.11
    4. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?710

See more discussions