Expired

Has anybody else had issues with CeX and fake cover art on blu-rays

Found 6th Dec 2013
I've had problems in the past when ordering online from CeX and receiving blu-rays (particularly double-play and triple-play versions with DVD) as a few have arrived with a cover that has just been printed out online and shoved in the box (most of the time totally the wrong size for the box and badly cut out). After complaining to them and getting my replacement with actual original cover art I thought the issue had mainly gone away (as several other orders had been fine since) but upon ordering from them again recently I have received another blu-ray with a copy cover.

I'm not sure whether what they are doing is legal but surely it goes against trading standards. I've been in several stores in recent times and seen the same thing with other blu-rays and the staff don't seem bothered by it. I can't see CeX buying stock in like that so they must be losing boxes and rather than try and find them they're simply printing out replacement covers which I would agree is ok for personal use but not if you do it as part of a business franchise as there would be copyright issues amongst other things. I remember a few years ago when they shelved the discs missing boxes behind the tills away from the rest until they could locate the relevant boxes or they sold them at a discount in a box with just the descriptor and title written on just like Game, Gamestation, Blockbusters, and HMV did/do.

They however seem to be under the impression that it is perfectly acceptable to pass off an incomplete blu-ray (blu-ray disc, box, and fake/copy cover art) at the same price as a complete one (blu-ray disc, box, and original cover art) which is really unacceptable. I now have to be weary of anything I buy from them as they seem more than happy to sell you such shoddy goods but most certainly would refuse to buy them back from you at a later date.

Just wondering if anyone else has had such issues as it's so frustrating that it will now take them ages to respond to my e-mail and then to actually issue me with a replacement.
Community Updates
AskBlu-ray
7 Comments
GO AWAY
It was explained to me that kids etc steal the original boxes off the shelves. So they have to get an empty plain box and put a copied artwork sleeve in.

Maybe your local store is particularly susceptible to thieves ?

I reckon that a lot of the poorer quality stock, copied or 'not for retail sale' sleeved items get posted out to mail order (online) buyers.
I have issue with cex being stinky and overpriced.
Bikertov

It was explained to me that kids etc steal the original boxes off the … It was explained to me that kids etc steal the original boxes off the shelves. So they have to get an empty plain box and put a copied artwork sleeve in. Maybe your local store is particularly susceptible to thieves ?I reckon that a lot of the poorer quality stock, copied or 'not for retail sale' sleeved items get posted out to mail order (online) buyers.

I do get that as they don't want to/cannot afford to lose money either but problems arise at a later date if you were to try trade or sell the blu-ray again. Nearly everybody wants something in original condition whether it's new or pre-owned so it is an issue for them as a seller and me as a buyer. Hopefully they will send me a replacement in the near future once I get a response and I may just have to be more cautious about what I buy online from them. I generally try to only buy instore so I can actually see and know what i'm getting but there's times when a particular item can only be bought online so there's no other choice if it's the cheapest option available. Thanks for your input anyway
badgerrules

I have issue with cex being stinky and overpriced.

Silly comment ...

Many shops have 'smelly' staff and customers. Cex is no better or worse.

As for over priced - many items and games are cheaper. And if they are more expensive, it is because they pay more to you when you traded-in in the first place, especially if you took credit not cash.
Bikertov

Silly comment ...Many shops have 'smelly' staff and customers. Cex is no … Silly comment ...Many shops have 'smelly' staff and customers. Cex is no better or worse. As for over priced - many items and games are cheaper. And if they are more expensive, it is because they pay more to you when you traded-in in the first place, especially if you took credit not cash.

I have been in four different cex stores and they all smell consistently terrible. No other shop smells as bad. Cex is much much worse.
Never been in a smelly cex 99p on the other hand reeks in my home town and same problem where I live now
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions