Groups

Has anybody fitted coving to an artex ceiling?

I'm still looking at ways to fill the gap between my artex ceiling and my wall - I have had several suggestions but now I am thinking about putting up some lightweight polystyrene coving. The only problem is that I have an artex ceiling (with a one-inch smooth edge around it). The artex on my ceiling is in a circular pattern (put up before I moved in). If I used some narrow coving (smallest width available), does anybody know if it is possible to do? Also, what sort of adhesive would I use to secure the coving to the ceiling? Thank you.

8 Comments

yeah... not a problem.

I would just plasterboard over artex if you can locate joist.

Polystyrene coving uses Polystyrene coving adhesive, sold in tubes to put in a caulking gun. Squirt a bit on the back and stick it to the wall/ceiling.

I'd just stick it over the artex, then if necessary just run some decorators caulk along the edge.

Original Poster

bestec2

I would just plasterboard over artex if you can locate joist.

I'm running a bit short of time - all of the wallpaper has been scraped off now, but I have to paint the ceiling, skirting boards, window sills, and paper the walls before Monday, as my new carpet is being fitted then, followed shortly afterwards by a new sofa. I just really needed to know if the coving would stick to the artex ceiling, and if so, what adhesive to use. I would love to have the ceiling covered in plasterboard, but am now low on funds after spending out for everything else. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Original Poster

nbuuifx

Polystyrene coving uses Polystyrene coving adhesive, sold in tubes to put … Polystyrene coving uses Polystyrene coving adhesive, sold in tubes to put in a caulking gun. Squirt a bit on the back and stick it to the wall/ceiling.I'd just stick it over the artex, then if necessary just run some decorators caulk along the edge.

I'm assuming that the coving adhesive would stick ok to the newly papered walls? In the You Tube videos, the adhesive that has been used oozes out of the edges of the coving when it is pressed against the wall - would the adhesive ruin my patterned wallpaper if it got onto it? Also, could I use the paint that I have bought for the ceiling, to paint the coving, or would I need a special type of paint for polystyrene? Thank you for your help.

Sophiasky

I'm assuming that the coving adhesive would stick ok to the newly papered … I'm assuming that the coving adhesive would stick ok to the newly papered walls? In the You Tube videos, the adhesive that has been used oozes out of the edges of the coving when it is pressed against the wall - would the adhesive ruin my patterned wallpaper if it got onto it? Also, could I use the paint that I have bought for the ceiling, to paint the coving, or would I need a special type of paint for polystyrene? Thank you for your help.

​stick to caulking it, have faith.

Use a tungsten carbide scraper to get the artex of and skim it. Other wise i would use plaster coving and stick it up with either driwall adhesive or tile adhesive yhen a lick of paint to go over.

If getting polystyrene coving then any NON SOLVENT adhesive with a thick subsidy will do. Even grab adhesive will do the trick so long as it stipulates non solvent. Any solvent based product will eat away at the polystyrene. Fill gaps with decorators caulk as its paintable to blend in.

You may be able to get away with painting the polystyrene coving with emulsions. Just try on a piece youre not going to use and see if it sticks. Remember its not going to be touched so doent have to withstand anything knocking the paint off.
    Edited by: "bigweapon07" 21st Feb

Yep. I'd second that. Small gaps between the artex and coving will easily be covetable with caulk or white sanitary silicon (won't go mouldy)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie911
      3. love affairs912
      4. word association Game73844475

See more discussions