Has anybody got Plusnet supplying their internet and home phone?

Found 21st Jan
I've cancelled my Sky services and am looking for a cheaper internet provider and home phone. Plusnet are doing a package for £23.99 a month - 18 month contract (would prefer a 12 month contract, but that is around £31.00 a month, a bit more than I really want to pay out), however, has anybody already got internet and phone with them - just wondering if it is any good? When I spoke to an advisor on the on-line chat, he said that as Sky installed a white Openreach (Master Socket 5C) box on the wall to connect their internet and my phone line, that could be used for Plusnet as well. I just wanted to see if anybody is using that box as when I was looking at the order on-line, it said that I would have to take a phone package if I wanted the internet as my current line was not compatible? Any advice appreciated. Thank you.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. Phones
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Phones
13 Comments
I have plusnet fibre and phone. I had major issues when I first had them installed. Jumped through a few hoops to get it sorted (basic checks in house so I don't get charged for a fault that is my responsibility) but the customer service were there all the way. It turned out to be a connection in the roadside junction box not tightened - every time a bus or lorry went past the vibrations would cause interruptions.
Another issue I had was a router disconnecting. They sent me another straight away, didn't even ask for the original one back. I can't fault the customer service. I know I can get cheaper elsewhere, but for peace of mind the extra £1 is week worth it. Also negotiate if you do phone up - they are very happy to reduce the price if they can. I believe they can't reduce phone line rental but they can reduce or give for free other extras such as unlimited calls, caller id, etc.
They also provide Youview tv which is pretty good value too.
Original Poster
mrty58 m ago

I have plusnet fibre and phone. I had major issues when I first had them …I have plusnet fibre and phone. I had major issues when I first had them installed. Jumped through a few hoops to get it sorted (basic checks in house so I don't get charged for a fault that is my responsibility) but the customer service were there all the way. It turned out to be a connection in the roadside junction box not tightened - every time a bus or lorry went past the vibrations would cause interruptions. Another issue I had was a router disconnecting. They sent me another straight away, didn't even ask for the original one back. I can't fault the customer service. I know I can get cheaper elsewhere, but for peace of mind the extra £1 is week worth it. Also negotiate if you do phone up - they are very happy to reduce the price if they can. I believe they can't reduce phone line rental but they can reduce or give for free other extras such as unlimited calls, caller id, etc. They also provide Youview tv which is pretty good value too.

Did they install a white Openreach box on your wall for the fibre and phone? Sky drilled through the outside wall into the sitting room and fitted the box to that wall. Just wondering if Plusnet wanted to go via your front door, so that cables had to be fixed throughout the hallway to the room where the fibre and phone were going to go? I'm hoping that they can use the existing white Openreach box on the wall to save having extra cabling running through the house. Thank you.
Sophiasky28 m ago

Did they install a white Openreach box on your wall for the fibre and …Did they install a white Openreach box on your wall for the fibre and phone? Sky drilled through the outside wall into the sitting room and fitted the box to that wall. Just wondering if Plusnet wanted to go via your front door, so that cables had to be fixed throughout the hallway to the room where the fibre and phone were going to go? I'm hoping that they can use the existing white Openreach box on the wall to save having extra cabling running through the house. Thank you.

Call them. It's Openreach who install for plusnet so I see no problems there.
Vodafone have the best deal at the moment for unlimited fibre broadband.

As long as it's not Vermin media who provide your broadband it will come via the openreach network into the same master socket as the one you currently use. The changes done will be in the exchange and PCP (,if you're moving from copper to fibre).

The old plusnet router (zero) is a piece of junk.
Original Poster
Paddy_o_furniture12 m ago

Vodafone have the best deal at the moment for unlimited fibre broadband. …Vodafone have the best deal at the moment for unlimited fibre broadband. As long as it's not Vermin media who provide your broadband it will come via the openreach network into the same master socket as the one you currently use. The changes done will be in the exchange and PCP (,if you're moving from copper to fibre).The old plusnet router (zero) is a piece of junk.

I've just had a quick look at the Vodafone deal but the extra costs, ie, if something goes wrong etc, has put me off. There's a great big lost list of costs for the customer, and I think the first hour of a call out was around £140 an hour, then around £50 for the second hour and longer.
Yes i have plusnet internet & phone same as you for an eighteen month contract which works out £21/month.I wouldn't recommend the broadband as it is very slow & keeps disconnecting.
I'm 1 month into an 18 contract with Plusnet @ £13.11 per month for phone line & regular broadband.

I usually alternate between Talktalk & Plusnet and don't notice any difference between them, both reasonable speed, no drop outs, but Plusnet is easier to deal with than Talktalk (customer service wise).
Sophiasky2 h, 2 m ago

I've just had a quick look at the Vodafone deal but the extra costs, ie, …I've just had a quick look at the Vodafone deal but the extra costs, ie, if something goes wrong etc, has put me off. There's a great big lost list of costs for the customer, and I think the first hour of a call out was around £140 an hour, then around £50 for the second hour and longer.

All service providers charge that, it's the charges that they pass on from openreach. If the fault is in the network and not with your kit you've nothing to worry about.
Original Poster
Pandamansays4 h, 4 m ago

I'm 1 month into an 18 contract with Plusnet @ £13.11 per month for phone …I'm 1 month into an 18 contract with Plusnet @ £13.11 per month for phone line & regular broadband.I usually alternate between Talktalk & Plusnet and don't notice any difference between them, both reasonable speed, no drop outs, but Plusnet is easier to deal with than Talktalk (customer service wise).

Sorry, how did you get it so cheap - the cheapest deal that I can see is £18.99 a month?
Try John Lewis broadband, it's run by plusnet but is actually cheaper, or at least it was for me I've been with them just over a year and had no problems.
Sophiasky1 h, 44 m ago

Sorry, how did you get it so cheap - the cheapest deal that I can see is …Sorry, how did you get it so cheap - the cheapest deal that I can see is £18.99 a month?

I signed up in late November at £18.99 per month, but they were doing £75 cashback which I have now received and I paid the first year in advance for a discount too.
Original Poster
Dyslexic_Dog9 h, 31 m ago

Try John Lewis broadband, it's run by plusnet but is actually cheaper, or …Try John Lewis broadband, it's run by plusnet but is actually cheaper, or at least it was for me I've been with them just over a year and had no problems.

Thank you, I did have a look but for fibre it was not cheaper, however, it was slightly for broadband, but because I use the internet for work-related things, I need to get fibre.
Sophiasky4 h, 23 m ago

Thank you, I did have a look but for fibre it was not cheaper, however, it …Thank you, I did have a look but for fibre it was not cheaper, however, it was slightly for broadband, but because I use the internet for work-related things, I need to get fibre.

Yes, we need to use it for work as well but unfortunately we don't have fibre as we live out in the sticks.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants