has anyone any advice for building an open plan living space,tips,pitfalls etc

Found 2nd Dec 2017
Hoping to build an extension to kitchen extension with hopefully dining,snug area utility
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
You really need to think how the space will be used. If for example you and your family plan to live mainly in this space then what zones do you need or could one zone double up as something else such as a breakfast bar or island could be double tiered so that if it was semicircled you could have under counter fridge and frezeer on the straight side and then the circled side could be lower and used as a dining area thus doing away with a separate table.
just because the room might lend itself to kitchen units along a back wall just consider whoever is using the sink will still want to be part of the commotion and not stuck at the back facing a wall rather than facing inward conversing with the family and watching tele. If need be create an island and put the sink in that or the hob with a crystal chandelier look extractor fan. The only downside is that you need everyone in the house to keep this room tidy as there is nowhere to hide anything, that includes dirty dishes which doesn't look good left on the side when unexpected visitors turn up.
We took at 3.5x2.5m kitchen and made a 6m square kitchen diner. Love it to bits. 3 issues we dealt with. Temperature. Noise. Smells.

Under floor heating is a great way to manage heating.

Sound is a problem inside and outside the room. Curtains, partial carpeting and use of good tech (hi-fi/TV) helps with sound. A fire door muffles sound as it is heavy.

Fit a really powerful fan with a very wide fan (min 6") extraction unit over cooking areas.

Getting lighting right is a trick. We added a 3amp lighting circuit in each corner linked to a switch by the door so you can (de)activate them in one go.

Fit flush/hidden power points in the floor (like offices do). you have no idea where you will want power. I wish we had put one under the table area. You also need 5 to 10 times ( I kid you not) the number of sockets you plan on having.
Definitely integrated appliances and lights on different circuits and mood lighting.
Try and integrate some sort of fake chimney breast and hang the tv on that with all the wires hidden behind. To save space have vertical radiators, still try and keep a back door rather than going for just patio doors
Thanks for that people , our kitchen is about 3 ×4.5 m

Just not sure if best to build out the side like a and wrap it round a bit or out the back etc
How much roughly did it end up costing if u don't mind me asking, was it more in the end than u though t
thebiggishman13 m ago

Thanks for that people , our kitchen is about 3 ×4.5 m Just not sure if …Thanks for that people , our kitchen is about 3 ×4.5 m Just not sure if best to build out the side like a and wrap it round a bit or out the back etc

Well if the space to the side is going to be wasted without a proper purpose then I would Build to the side, can't you go out to the rear and to the side
Toptrumpet3 h, 30 m ago

Well if the space to the side is going to be wasted without a proper …Well if the space to the side is going to be wasted without a proper purpose then I would Build to the side, can't you go out to the rear and to the side

Yea but it's trying to make it a worthwhile extra chunk and the cost etc , I might extend out the back about 2.5 m then have a little 3 X3 snug extended out the side
You'd be better off going to whole way across rather than have a step back. You will always need space. What rooms have you already got downstairs
what about a granny annexe for the mother in law or a big walk in shoe and handbag cupboard for 'er indoors?
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 3rd Dec 2017
Architect came around tonight and it looks like it's gonna possibly be 3 metres squared out the back into a utility sort of area and then possibly wrapping round with about 3 ×4 metre hopefully on the side

Hes gonna try n draw up some sketches to see how it all works out
thebiggishman3 h, 44 m ago

Architect came around tonight and it looks like it's gonna possibly be 3 …Architect came around tonight and it looks like it's gonna possibly be 3 metres squared out the back into a utility sort of area and then possibly wrapping round with about 3 ×4 metre hopefully on the side Hes gonna try n draw up some sketches to see how it all works out

Can I check how does architect charge for giving estimate s etc. We would be looking to extend and are fairly new. Any advice on qoutes and fees etc would be kind. Thanks
rambobambo10 h, 36 m ago

Can I check how does architect charge for giving estimate s etc. We would …Can I check how does architect charge for giving estimate s etc. We would be looking to extend and are fairly new. Any advice on qoutes and fees etc would be kind. Thanks

I'm no expert lol
Basically a neighbor got an extension done and I spoke to her builder who said it's roughly £1000 per square metre for a basic finish,
He has then given me the details of an architect who he teams up with, he reckons £400 max should cover drawing plans and another 2 or 3 hundred for plan permission and building control etc

I'm in northern Ireland so London prices etc could well be more expensive etc
rambobambo10 h, 36 m ago

Can I check how does architect charge for giving estimate s etc. We would …Can I check how does architect charge for giving estimate s etc. We would be looking to extend and are fairly new. Any advice on qoutes and fees etc would be kind. Thanks

Thanks for the reply
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants