Has anyone any experience in repairing water damaged iPhones?

Found 26th Feb
Hiya
So my daughter dropped her iPhone 6 in the toilet about 2 weeks ago on a night out but didn't notice for 10 mins then went back to it and she said it was still working and the daft sod left it turned on and she said it cut out about 5 mins later.
She it's planning on buying another next week but I like to tinker about with things so following YouTube I stripped it down and cleaned the PCB in 93% alcohol and the other connectors and then left to dry.
But nothing still even with a spare battery we had , what would be the next step to test ? I've seen things about testing capacitors etc but that's probably beyond my tinkering lol
I'm guessing it's probably beyond repair now just thought I'd ask.
cheers
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Did she drop it before or after?
One wonders just WHY you would be taking a phone into the toilet ???????
Original Poster
Apparently she had in in her back pocket so when she pulled her jeans down it fell into the toilet... Like you do lol
Only thing I’d say is if you take it to apple they will just look in the headphone socket. If it’s pink they will know it’s water damage.
The same thing happened to me, fell out of my back pocket into the loo. I turned it off and placed it completely submerged into a bowl of uncooked rice and then into the airing cupboard for three days. When I got it out we had a few hiccups but my husband uses it now and never has any problems with it!
With it being left on chances are it’s terminal, or the parts you need to repair are at component level so it’s beyond repair.

At this point id start by testing into a computer if you see any signs of life over USB it could be the display, this is grasping at straws though!
All as you can do it dry it out and hope for the best.

You could strip it down and check for any water damage, but if you find it then odds are it's going to be too complicated or expensive to fix.
It seems that a toilet is a common place to drop a phone as I have done exactly the same thing on 3 occasions and my hand was straight in behind it and every time it’s recovered!
What a s**t bit of luck. Enough to drive u round the bend.
Original Poster
Cheers everyone
Yeah it spent a week in rice and was fully dried out but still didn't work.
So that's why I thought I'd have a mess around with it just curious wether others have had similar ones that have seemed dead
Usually water kills the battery, Then it kills the backlight lcd. Then you replace those and you find the earpiece doesn't work, Then the mic doesn't work or the cameras. Or it works but 3 months down the line the motherboard stops working as the solder corrodes etc..

The sooner you can switch off and disconnect the battery the better, Rice doesn't really work, it's a myth, It'd have the same effect if you just stuck it in a warm cupboard, Silicon might help but negligible, really you should strip them down and dry them with gentle heat, Perhaps with an hair dryer at distance etc..

Sealed batteries really irk me for that reason.
Original Poster
.MUFC.1 h, 7 m ago

Usually water kills the battery, Then it kills the backlight lcd. Then you …Usually water kills the battery, Then it kills the backlight lcd. Then you replace those and you find the earpiece doesn't work, Then the mic doesn't work or the cameras. Or it works but 3 months down the line the motherboard stops working as the solder corrodes etc..The sooner you can switch off and disconnect the battery the better, Rice doesn't really work, it's a myth, It'd have the same effect if you just stuck it in a warm cupboard, Silicon might help but negligible, really you should strip them down and dry them with gentle heat, Perhaps with an hair dryer at distance etc.. Sealed batteries really irk me for that reason.

Yeah I suspected the LCD was probably now damaged
No point spending money on a replacement as like you say there's more than likely other issues.
stefromuk17 m ago

Yeah I suspected the LCD was probably now damaged :(No point spending …Yeah I suspected the LCD was probably now damaged :(No point spending money on a replacement as like you say there's more than likely other issues.

You could order a replacement from Amazon, Then return it if it doesn't work, I've done that in the past.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions