Has anyone any idea what wall cladding/cavity insulation and a new roof should cost?

Its for a three room flat - 2 x bedrooms - living room - kitchen and bathroom.

There are six in the block - so the share would be split six ways.

No grant would be available as I rent the flat out (unless you know otherwise).

Has anyone any idea of the price per flat or in total?

The present factor is saying almost £15 000 per flat - which seems massively excessive - but its a Friday afternoon and I am unlikely to be getting prices from elsewhere until next week.

19 Comments

Is it a pitched roof, or a flat roof, What is the roofs size in Square meters, is it 2 or 3 storey.

What's the point in asking here? Who on here can give you anything like an accurate price? Wait till next week.

How longs a piece of string!!
I would deffo say that £15,000 is WAY to much for this job. My old flat (big old building that used to be one huge house, split into for large flats) had 'nail rot' etc etc and needed a complete new roof and timbers, we we're quoted between 9K and 18K for replacing the full thing.
The factors will have their 'preferred supplier'...and be getting a cut!

deek72;6735456

What's the point in asking here? Who on here can give you anything like … What's the point in asking here? Who on here can give you anything like an accurate price? Wait till next week.

The information above is what is required :thumbsup:

what is a factor is that like a management company ?

renown;6735475

The information above is what is required :thumbsup:

Ah.I see. So if the OP gets quotes on here then they won't have to mess about next week. They can just call a builder and say 'I got this quote from HUKD. So when can you start?'

Ask to see the quotes, then ring round yourself if you think you are being ripped off.

renown;6735488

what is a factor is that like a management company ?

Yeh, takes care of the maintence and getting tradesman in for jobs, paying them a fee each month!

deek72;6735504

Ah.I see. So if the OP gets quotes on here then they won't have to mess … Ah.I see. So if the OP gets quotes on here then they won't have to mess about next week. They can just call a builder and say 'I got this quote from HUKD. So when can you start?'

Being as i have vast knowledge in what the question was asked, I thought I could be of some help to the Op.:thumbsup:

Is help what you are offering ?

chunky;6735514

Yeh, takes care of the maintenance and getting tradesman in for jobs, … Yeh, takes care of the maintenance and getting tradesman in for jobs, paying them a fee each month!

There is no reason why you would not be entitled to see the quotes supplied and as someone has said get your own independent quotes "Nothing ventured nothing gained" :thumbsup:

You know you can form your own Management Company as it were and look after it all yourselves

Original Poster

its two flats per floor - average sized flats - but off the top of my head I cannot remember the floor areas.

Pitched roof - built about early 1960s by the local authority.

A similar flat looks like (taken from an estate agents site)...

http://media.rightmove.co.uk/17k/16827/16827_71351001289_IMG_00_0000.jpg

Its the end of the row of flats - so one end of the building would need insulated.

I would like the work done - so it improves the flat - although it seems OK just now insulationwise from the amounts of power that have been used between changing tenants,

I appreciate its vague - but I would like to have a better idea prior to going away for the weekend.

Thanks to those who already posted.

Remember when getting cavity insulation that the cavity is there for a reason (to stop moisture, or damp, getting in)!!

I work for a grant called Warmfront. If your the LL you would get help towards a grant for insulation if the Tennants were on specific benfits. THis info is on the website.

Theres a scheme available at the moment called CERT where even if your not getting benefits you can get a discounted price on Wall Insulation and Loft insulation. Loft insulation based on a 3 bed room house is £150.

If not getting benefits call eaga insulation on 0800317997 (option 1) for CERT scheme quotes.

civms47;6735652

Remember when getting cavity insulation that the cavity is there for a … Remember when getting cavity insulation that the cavity is there for a reason (to stop moisture, or damp, getting in)!!

The cavity idea was actually put in as there was a theory that the gap between the walls would trap heat the same way as when your hairs raise on your arms when youre cold to trap the warm air between.

It didnt work that way and this is why CWI is installed in properties by default now.

Original Poster

The tenant is working.

The factor is GHA - Glasgow City Council by any other name.

GHAs pricing is invariably too high - given their work is normally done by "City Building" (Glasgow City Council by any other name). Staff receive wages far higher than the going rate - including a bonus structure for tradesmen that resulted in some being paid £80 000 a year.

They are also the factors for the building by default - as far as I remember its as long as they own one building in the block then they remain the factors.

So it figured the price for the job would be excessive, as they are required to turn a profit - so their prices will reflect the lack of competition with their "captive customers" - and the excessive wages they pay their staff.

Another concern is the quality of workmanship is normally lousy - as they do most work on "Housing Association Houses" (Glasgow Council Houses by any other name) - so the quality of workmanship is poor.

ibiza;6735879

The tenant is working.The factor is GHA - Glasgow City Council by any … The tenant is working.The factor is GHA - Glasgow City Council by any other name.GHAs pricing is invariably too high - given their work is normally done by "City Building" (Glasgow City Council by any other name). Staff receive wages far higher than the going rate - including a bonus structure for tradesmen that resulted in some being paid £80 000 a year.They are also the factors for the building by default - as far as I remember its as long as they own one building in the block then they remain the factors.So it figured the price for the job would be excessive, as they are required to turn a profit - so their prices will reflect the lack of competition with their "captive customers" - and the excessive wages they pay their staff.Another concern is the quality of workmanship is normally lousy - as they do most work on "Housing Association Houses" (Glasgow Council Houses by any other name) - so the quality of workmanship is poor.

Ooft thats rubbish, surely the majorty rule on this tho? More than half the tennents would agree to this price before the work goes ahead?

Original Poster

chunky;6735951

Ooft thats rubbish, surely the majorty rule on this tho? More than half … Ooft thats rubbish, surely the majorty rule on this tho? More than half the tennents would agree to this price before the work goes ahead?

In theory it is meant to be.

However, the meeting for the vote is hosted by the GHA - who get to vote as chair if there is a tie (and normally only nominate work to City Building).

It is possible for work to go to outsiders - but as GHA and City Building are the 'former workers' of Glasgow City Council. its not uncommon for unusual errors to often occur that result in City Building getting the job. Other work is allocated to GHA, who then receive payment for the work, but it goes to agencies paying the minumum wage.

They could not work as a normal company with the prices being charged - but strangely they manage to continue existing in spite of this.

There was an attempt last year to end the GHA/City Building pairing - but on the day it was meant to happen - suddenly an unusual error was found in the pension provision of the new company - who then had to withdraw. However, despite appearing to be losing almost all their work, no redundancies had been prepared for the City Building workers - its almost like someone knew the transfer would not happen!

Previous scams included the compulsory "common area cleaning programme", and "back court tidying programme" - whereby any property where the council had a majority suddenly found a vote had been taken without bothering to ask those in a minority "as they would lose anyway" - but then found themselves paying to have their closes and back courts cleaned. The 'work' was being done by agencies paying the bucket tippers the minimum wage, meaning a fairly massive profit for the council.

This was featured on TV, when the fiver a week being charged to all non council owners resulted in someone videoing the bucket of water that was poured on their stairs, and the two flats on that floor paid a tenner for this to happen (it was just left - nothing was cleaned - just water poured). The 'work' was being done by agencies paying the bucket tippers the minimum wage, meaning a fairly massive profit for the council.

This was eventually stopped when it was shown no cleaning was taking place.

I should add that they have been featured fairly often in Private Eye - and Carter Ruck have not been called in yet!

Deandt;6735775

The cavity idea was actually put in as there was a theory that the gap … The cavity idea was actually put in as there was a theory that the gap between the walls would trap heat the same way as when your hairs raise on your arms when youre cold to trap the warm air between. It didnt work that way and this is why CWI is installed in properties by default now.

Absolute Rubbish !!!! :roll:

and no i don't sell CWI.....

Mecoconuts;6736614

Absolute Rubbish !!!! :roll:and no i don't sell CWI.....

Lol youre welcome to your opinion but I do provide people with CWI and have worked in this area for 2 years now. I work for a company called Eaga who works along with the goverment to provide those in receipt of benefits with insulation measures and heating.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763991
    2. Better watch out for these...914
    3. Any PS4 News Here29213595
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846087

See more discussions