Has anyone been locked inside a Kia Sorrento?

Found 27th Jan 2016
I was a passenger inside a Kia Sorrento when my husband left the car for a few minutes. During this time, he inadvertently pressed the key in his pocket. I heard the click and tried to open the passenger door from the inside and also tried the driver's door. They would not open and I also could not open a window. Being claustrophobic, this was very scary. My husband contacted Kia UK and was told that the car has passed all the 'European Safety Checks'. Has anyone else had this problem?
Community Updates
21 Comments
It's a deadlock. Common on most if not all modern cars. It's so a thief can't smash a window and open the door.
there will be a button somewhere in the car to unlock the doors

EliTom
This is normal, same as a deadlock on a house, key overrules the manual handle lock.
This reminded me of last year when my husband locked the car when we parked at the train station , I was inside and he was getting his season ticket. Couldn't open from inside but worse our car is fitted with an alarm that's based on a motion sensor inside the car, every time I moved an inch I set the alarm off. Suffice to say hubby got an earful when he got back
Handy that - lock away a nagging wife out of earshot X) - Seriously though it will have a "Central Locking" button on the fascia which will central lock /unlock - (if its like my Vauxhall ) .
Just pondering - if the reason is to stop a thief from smashing a Window and unlocking the door then what's the point of the central locking button being on fascia for said thief to press and unlock all the doors?
t3rm3y

Just pondering - if the reason is to stop a thief from smashing a Window … Just pondering - if the reason is to stop a thief from smashing a Window and unlocking the door then what's the point of the central locking button being on fascia for said thief to press and unlock all the doors?

I think the actual idea is that if your car is approached by unsavoury folk you can lock all the doors at a press . If breaking in from the outside (through a smashed window for example) then the motion sensors would set the alarm off . Nothing is 100% you can only at best deter !
Edited by: "rogparki" 27th Jan 2016
You'll be suing next.
rogparki

Handy that - lock away a nagging wife out of earshot X) - Seriously … Handy that - lock away a nagging wife out of earshot X) - Seriously though it will have a "Central Locking" button on the fascia which will central lock /unlock - (if its like my Vauxhall ) .

No such button on a ford mondeo ...... Trusted hubby when he said he locked car without thinking, but now you've got me wondering
Thank you for all your replies. The point I am making is that anyone locked inside the vehicle cannot escape in the event of an emergency.
Are you still in the car ?
Ill assume he pressed lock twice to deadlock car
barrel24

It's a deadlock. Common on most if not all modern cars. It's so a thief … It's a deadlock. Common on most if not all modern cars. It's so a thief can't smash a window and open the door.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Its common on modern cars
YouDontWantToKnow

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Its common on modern cars

^that
annec4

Thank you for all your replies. The point I am making is that anyone … Thank you for all your replies. The point I am making is that anyone locked inside the vehicle cannot escape in the event of an emergency.

​Would you rather the doors didn't lock at all when you pressed the key. Just tell the hubby to remove the battery and never lock it again. You will be able to escape then.
Auto lock common in all cars these days. it locks car automatically if the owner accidentally presses the key fob in there possession and does not enter the car in a certain amount of time. Its to stop the vehicle being left in a unlocked state causing the car to deadlock. And most can not be opened from inside as to prevent thief's bending the door and poking a thin instrument to press the unlock button.
buy or keep a spare key (maybe in the glove compartment) for yourself?
annec4

Thank you for all your replies. The point I am making is that anyone … Thank you for all your replies. The point I am making is that anyone locked inside the vehicle cannot escape in the event of an emergency.

There should be an emergency tailgate release on the inside of the tailgate (little rectangular cover you flick off and there'll be a lever or something you can see) and I think it will work even if the car's deadlocked...would be worth checking if you think your hubby may lock you in the car again (_;)
Asked a friend about this as remember it happened to him. He said its design fault in the car. As many others have said most cars will lock themselves incase you forget but the issue with the Kia here being that you don't have a button inside to unlock again or in others just simply the interior door handles still work.
He said his work around was there is some little "manual" key thing that you can remove from the main key. This on its own will not open the doors but there's somewhere in the armrest compartment between passenger and driver that you can insert the key into. This then allows you to press the start button on the car allowing power to the windows for you to open. Once window open,stop car, remove breakaway key thing and use it to open the door from the outside drivers side since now you got window open.
What a nuisance all for that! Though best using the breakaway key thingy from the spare key incase for the driver the central locking doesn't work someday or the battery goes in the fob.

Do remember though myself years ago falling victim to the self locking, was waiting on partner doing some shopping, friend came along hate chatting through window, got out of car, chatting, keys on seat for some stupid reason, women was walking past with pram so closed the door to give more room, chatting "clunk" ohh crap lol! Thought well I'm lucky I'm close by home only 15 minute walk each way, errr hang on my house keys are in my jacket pocket, you guessed it in the car! Partner keys in her handbag on the passenger seat. Had to ring my parents who had spare house key to get the spare car key lol.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 28th Jan 2016
rogparki

Handy that - lock away a nagging wife out of earshot X) - Seriously … Handy that - lock away a nagging wife out of earshot X) - Seriously though it will have a "Central Locking" button on the fascia which will central lock /unlock - (if its like my Vauxhall ) .

I have a lock/unlock button on my corsa but if i press the lock button on my key twice it disables that button inside the car
You usually have to press the lock button twice to enable deadlocking, Having an internal override button would render the deadlocking feature pretty much pointless.

I think maybe they should have to have a motion sensing alarm if it's got deadlocking.
Not sure about the Sorrento, but the Kia Rio has a button on the centre console (on the right hand side) that locks/unlocks all the doors.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants