Groups

Has anyone been to Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt?

Has anyone here been to Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt?

Me and my boyfriend are thinking about going there next year, it looks like an amazing place. Just wondering if anyone here has been and if so, would they recommend it?

Thanks

31 Comments

It's like Blackpool with camels!

Banned

Depends on where you go in resort. Lots of areas.
    Most areas are dead at night.
    Staff etc dont live in area and are bused home at night.
    So go to a hotel with entertainment or you maybe entertaining yourself.
    Miles from attractions (historic sites)well except go into dessert at night to see the stars.(on quad bikes)

Dont go for two weeks unless you dive then stay 3

hi i havent been myself but my brother has he stayed on an all inclusive site and found it too quite after 10pm but if your not a party animal and just want a relaxing break then thats your place. he did describe outside the resort as being like bayroot but it is egypt so its not going to be flash lol. if you decide to go have a brill time.

Banned

Flodd;6040850

:thumbsup: good picture.

Nope.

We went to Soma Bay near Hurghada last year and loved it. Apparently it's a lot less touristy than Sharm el Sheik.
    We're definitely going back.

I went with my girlfriend last year and had an excellent time. If your looking for a lively area - then obviously its not the first that springs to mind, and your better of heading to more of an 18-30 holiday destination.

However, if you want a great holiday with lots to see - pyramids, spinx, valley of the kings, Eygyptian museum to name but a few then I would def recommend it.

Sharm itself is geared completely towards tourists but it has some excellent hotels and there is lots of culture not far from it.

Oh and £220 gets you about £2000 egyptian pounds - so you feel very rich and important!

Banned

titley;6040995

I went with my girlfriend last year and had an excellent time. If your … I went with my girlfriend last year and had an excellent time. If your looking for a lively area - then obviously its not the first that springs to mind, and your better of heading to more of an 18-30 holiday destination. However, if you want a great holiday with lots to see - pyramids, spinx, valley of the kings, Eygyptian museum to name but a few then I would def recommend it. Sharm itself is geared completely towards tourists but it has some excellent hotels and there is lots of culture not far from it.Oh and £220 gets you about £2000 egyptian pounds - so you feel very rich and important!

WOW changed since Jan 2009 it was a 4 hour flight to go see pyramids etc etc:whistling:
    18 hour round trip

Original Poster

Well we are looking for a relaxing holiday so we are not interested in night life at all.

We want to try diving and definitely want to see the pyramids, would you recommend staying in a different part of Egypt for that sort of thing? We are also considering a Nile cruise followed by seven nights in Luxor but we have not really decided yet. We won't be booking until middle of next year anyway so plenty of time to decide!

kimbyanne;6041043

Well we are looking for a relaxing holiday so we are not interested in … Well we are looking for a relaxing holiday so we are not interested in night life at all. We want to try diving and definitely want to see the pyramids, would you recommend staying in a different part of Egypt for that sort of thing? We are also considering a Nile cruise followed by seven nights in Luxor but we have not really decided yet. We won't be booking until middle of next year anyway so plenty of time to decide!

like i said before i have never been myself but i do believe the sealife is wonderful for snorkling etc. we just came back from cayo coco in cuba you want to try that it is brilliant for marine life and very relaxing.

Banned

kimbyanne;6041043

Well we are looking for a relaxing holiday so we are not interested in … Well we are looking for a relaxing holiday so we are not interested in night life at all. We want to try diving and definitely want to see the pyramids, would you recommend staying in a different part of Egypt for that sort of thing? We are also considering a Nile cruise followed by seven nights in Luxor but we have not really decided yet. We won't be booking until middle of next year anyway so plenty of time to decide!

Do that better off 2/3 Days Cairo then cruise then a week in resort Sharm El Sheikh much better idea santa:

This a standard package.

Banned

greyparrot;6041169

like i said before i have never been myself but i do believe the sealife … like i said before i have never been myself but i do believe the sealife is wonderful for snorkling etc. we just came back from cayo coco in cuba you want to try that it is brilliant for marine life and very relaxing.

Where ? Weve been to Cayo Coco stayed Melia Cayo Coco at end of beach WOW last year

RUDOLF;6041233

Where ? Weve been to Cayo Coco stayed Melia Cayo Coco at end of beach … Where ? Weve been to Cayo Coco stayed Melia Cayo Coco at end of beach WOW last year

tryp cayo coco. melia is a mess i believe at the moment after the hurricane it is closed as they are going to do it up or so thats what i have been told by the staff at the tryp. oh and sol is shut as well.

Banned

greyparrot;6041271

tryp cayo coco. melia is a mess i believe at the moment after the … tryp cayo coco. melia is a mess i believe at the moment after the hurricane it is closed as they are going to do it up or so thats what i have been told by the staff at the tryp. oh and sol is shut as well.

Cheers:thumbsup:
    Did two day trip to Havana and it rained and rained in fact it rained Tropicana was held indoors, it was so humid.

RUDOLF;6041335

Cheers:thumbsup: Did two day trip to Havana and it rained and rained in … Cheers:thumbsup: Did two day trip to Havana and it rained and rained in fact it rained Tropicana was held indoors, it was so humid.

yeah thats the only problem with cuba it is very humid we had really good weather too good really it was like 40 degrees everyday that was a little too much. how did you go on with the mosquito bites lol i got eaten alive but everyone else that was with me seemed ok with just the odd one here and there.

I'd agree with rudolph, naff all to see in Sharm El Shiekh other than rubber palm trees and tat merchants... get yourself off to Cairo instead, you're central to the museum and pyramids and with the ever present risk of terrorism hotels will be even cheaper :thumbsup:

Banned

greyparrot;6041402

yeah thats the only problem with cuba it is very humid we had really good … yeah thats the only problem with cuba it is very humid we had really good weather too good really it was like 40 degrees everyday that was a little too much. how did you go on with the mosquito bites lol i got eaten alive but everyone else that was with me seemed ok with just the odd one here and there.

Have to say had only a couple, wife suffers more,( it must be you ladies) try a few drops of tea tree oil in vodka in spray bottle works for me,she got lots on that 1/2 day experience(speed boat/ train/crocs etc) God that train:w00t::santa:
    Wow and that massage place was good choc mud wrap and those hot pools

Don't forget that if you are diving it is not recommended that you fly within 48 hours of surfacing - something to bear in mind for any internal flights (Sharm>Cairo or Luxor) as well as your return trip home. If you are multi-centering with a week inland (Cairo/Luxor/Cruise) plus a week at the beach your diving time will be severely limited!!

RUDOLF;6041481

Have to say had only a couple, wife suffers more,( it must be you ladies) … Have to say had only a couple, wife suffers more,( it must be you ladies) try a few drops of tea tree oil in vodka in spray bottle works for me,she got lots on that 1/2 day experience(speed boat/ train/crocs etc) God that train:w00t::santa:Wow and that massage place was good choc mud wrap and those hot pools

the old steam train lol where it travels literally on no tracks through a field.choo choo.

Banned

greyparrot;6041549

the old steam train lol where it travels literally on no tracks through a … the old steam train lol where it travels literally on no tracks through a field.choo choo.

The old big women had me turning the cane crusher and the wife get that tall fella and his whip.
    Not amused you women get the deals. LOL:santa:

I've been to Sharm, Taba and this year I'm off to Hurghada (Soma Bay). All the places I've been have been relatively quiet (which I love). The resorts away from the main 'town' suit me great (Sharm has a Pacha, Hurghada has a MoS, if that's what you like).

Anyway, I loved Sharm (Hilton Sharks Bay) and the weather was great in September. Just remember to read 'tripadvisor' as every hotel in Egypt seems to be 5* (some are, some definitely aren't).

haven't been there myself but a friend of the family have just got back and they got harassed there A LOT! and also if you look on hotel watchdog, there is a review in there where somebody was locked in a store and made to buy something before they could leave!

RUDOLF;6041595

The old big women had me turning the cane crusher and the wife get that … The old big women had me turning the cane crusher and the wife get that tall fella and his whip.Not amused you women get the deals. LOL:santa:

lol i did like the speedboat where you got to see the termites but wasnt very impressed when i found out that there is crocodiles in there apparently some have ecaped the crocodile farm over the years.

danny09;6041644

haven't been there myself but a friend of the family have just got back … haven't been there myself but a friend of the family have just got back and they got harassed there A LOT! and also if you look on hotel watchdog, there is a review in there where somebody was locked in a store and made to buy something before they could leave!

It's true that the traders can be very persistent when it comes to trying to sell you something (you just have to learn to ignore them and give up the usual British politeness). Mentioning the 'tourist police' is good if you get drawn into a shop and they won't let you leave (they're trying to sell you something with 'unusual' sales techniques, not get on the wrong side of the law).

Banned

greyparrot;6041731

lol i did like the speedboat where you got to see the termites but wasnt … lol i did like the speedboat where you got to see the termites but wasnt very impressed when i found out that there is crocodiles in there apparently some have ecaped the crocodile farm over the years.

:w00t: Nobody said that to us, glad:whistling::santa:.

Don't forget the Imodium!

greyparrot;6041271

tryp cayo coco. melia is a mess i believe at the moment after the … tryp cayo coco. melia is a mess i believe at the moment after the hurricane it is closed as they are going to do it up or so thats what i have been told by the staff at the tryp. oh and sol is shut as well.

Is Sol Cayo Coco, really closed?

Flodd;6040850

...and more dirt.

I havent been but my daughter says that Sharm is just a 'compound' specifically for tourists. I would absolutely hate this. Want to go to real places.

Sc0ward;6042088

Is Sol Cayo Coco, really closed?

yes it is it got really badly damaged off the last hurricane.

Have been about 11 times, you have got to try diving, it is awesome. the red sea is one of the best places in the world to dive
    naama bay is the town, it does have electric palm trees!! but has a hard rock cafe and a camel bar
    There is tons to do, the people will rip you off soon as look at you and you will need some immodium. Cant beat the prices though, try page 216 on itv teletext for the best deals
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424814501
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17876402
      3. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.513
      4. One for the mathmeticians2539

See more discussions