Has anyone bought a B grade laptop from CEX?

Found 19th Nov 2011
Was going to buy a latop from cex described as B grade, I thought this would be the same rating as the phones where B just means it doesn't have a box, but then I saw this :

Grade B - Laptop has cosmetic damage; May include any of the following; Considerable scratching, hairline cracks, missing foot(s), 5 or less dead pixels, dirt in the speaker grill or beneath the keyboard, dust behind the screen, international keyboard layout, paint peeling off the track-pad. Official or 3rd party chargers, accessories, restore disk or original box may be missing.

Which is very different! Anyone actually bought one though, I can't go and view the laptop I want as it's online stock, emailing them is useless and there's no pictures.
Community Updates
MiscLaptop
15 Comments
That sounds like a massive range of pssibilities. Could risk it as with distance selling regulations you would be able to return if you weren't happy with the condition BUT you would be responsible for the return postage.
It's a total gamble. Could be a nice condition one that should be an A, but they ripped the seller off and only gave them a B grade price. Or it could be in crap condition and they're making it more attractive by calling it 'B'.

All I know is, if you're not happy with the condition when (if) it arrives - you'll be in for one hell of a hassle trying to return it and get a refund.
Plus trying to get a refund online a no no
Would rather go without than chance it with CEX
Oh great, not looking good, why would it be a hassle to return though, are they not bound by the same rules as everyone else when it comes to dsr, or does that not apply to 2nd hand stuff?

Looks like I'll be going into one tomorrow anyway so I will hopefully get to look at some other B grade laptops and see what they are like. I've just noticed that there is 1-3 in 1 shop in the whole country and 1 online, is there a chance this is the same laptop or is online stock definitely separate?
tattertatter

Oh great, not looking good, why would it be a hassle to return though, … Oh great, not looking good, why would it be a hassle to return though, are they not bound by the same rules as everyone else when it comes to dsr, or does that not apply to 2nd hand stuff?Looks like I'll be going into one tomorrow anyway so I will hopefully get to look at some other B grade laptops and see what they are like. I've just noticed that there is 1-3 in 1 shop in the whole country and 1 online, is there a chance this is the same laptop or is online stock definitely separate?

It WILL be the same unit, the return it to the warehouse who then post out to you, hence it usually takes over a week for cex to deliver.
CEX RETURNS:

How do I return an item?
Firstly, emails must be sent to wecare@webuy.com , including your order number, the title of the items you are returning, and the reason for return.
Merchandise must be in the same condition as when it was sent with all accessories that came with it, including a copy of the invoice and a short note detailing the reason you are requesting a refund or exchange.

Defective merchandise will be fully tested to verify the fault. Should an item not be found to be defective it will be dispatched back to you, however should an item be found to be defective we will first seek to repair or replace the item. If no repair or replacement can be issued, a refund will be given.

Please note: Our refunds and returns policy may be restricted against titles that are exclusively for online play.

Please note that we cannot accept refunds or returns if you deliver them to us by hand, and as such refunds and returns can also not be carried out in CeX stores.

All merchandise for return or refund must be sent to the following Free Post address:

Free Post: RSRK-RHJK-YXJJ
WeBuy Returns Department
Unit 2a
Hille Business Centre
132a St. Albans Road
WD24 4AE
What sort of price are you talking OP? Personally I wouldn't touch anything from CEX unless it was massively cheaper than new (even A grade stuff)
ScrewYou

CEX RETURNS:How do I return an item?Firstly, emails must be sent to … CEX RETURNS:How do I return an item?Firstly, emails must be sent to wecare@webuy.com , including your order number, the title of the items you are returning, and the reason for return.Merchandise must be in the same condition as when it was sent with all accessories that came with it, including a copy of the invoice and a short note detailing the reason you are requesting a refund or exchange.Defective merchandise will be fully tested to verify the fault. Should an item not be found to be defective it will be dispatched back to you, however should an item be found to be defective we will first seek to repair or replace the item. If no repair or replacement can be issued, a refund will be given.Please note: Our refunds and returns policy may be restricted against titles that are exclusively for online play.Please note that we cannot accept refunds or returns if you deliver them to us by hand, and as such refunds and returns can also not be carried out in CeX stores.All merchandise for return or refund must be sent to the following Free Post address:Free Post: RSRK-RHJK-YXJJWeBuy Returns DepartmentUnit 2aHille Business Centre132a St. Albans RoadWD24 4AE

Whoa, seems to imply I can only return for faulty stuff? Or am I reading too much into that?
tattertatter

Oh great, not looking good, why would it be a hassle to return though, … Oh great, not looking good, why would it be a hassle to return though, are they not bound by the same rules as everyone else when it comes to dsr, or does that not apply to 2nd hand stuff?Looks like I'll be going into one tomorrow anyway so I will hopefully get to look at some other B grade laptops and see what they are like. I've just noticed that there is 1-3 in 1 shop in the whole country and 1 online, is there a chance this is the same laptop or is online stock definitely separate?

colinsunderland

What sort of price are you talking OP? Personally I wouldn't touch … What sort of price are you talking OP? Personally I wouldn't touch anything from CEX unless it was massively cheaper than new (even A grade stuff)

Ahhh ok I'll just call the store it's in and ask them then I guess

Its nearly £600, but that seems to be cheaper than I can find even on ebay 2nd hand and I figure cex will give me a warranty of some sort.
How much cheaper though. Must be one good laptop to be worth £600 second hand in bad condition.
tattertatter

CeX.. telephones? Unfortunately not. They don't have phones, because they'd be ringing 24/7 with complaints. Instead, they only use email so they can ignore them.
Edited by: "oldmanhouse" 19th Nov 2011
deleted265520
After that description you'd have to pay me to take one from them.

Dead pixels - lul ****' wut?

Yeah about £1100 new, it has a sandybridge i7 so a max of 2 years old maybe? How much cheaper second hand is a bit difficult to say as I haven't found many of that exact laptop but probably £100 cheaper than the average for that spec regardless of the brand if you know what I mean.

colinsunderland

How much cheaper though. Must be one good laptop to be worth £600 second … How much cheaper though. Must be one good laptop to be worth £600 second hand in bad condition.

tattertatter

dtovey89

After that description you'd have to pay me to take one from them.Dead … After that description you'd have to pay me to take one from them.Dead pixels - lul ****' wut?

dtovey89

After that description you'd have to pay me to take one from them.Dead … After that description you'd have to pay me to take one from them.Dead pixels - lul ****' wut?

Yeah it wasn't prominent on the website, I just googled the address and I've got a number, if it that doesn't work I'll see if the cex near me will calll them - worth a shot!

Haha yeah, that's gotta be worst case scenario though surely, does that even happen anymore?!
colinsunderland

How much cheaper though. Must be one good laptop to be worth £600 second … How much cheaper though. Must be one good laptop to be worth £600 second hand in bad condition.

tattertatter

dtovey89

dtovey89

I bought a "grade A" laptop from cex. It came in the wrong box, superficial damage to the shell and a group of dead pixels on the screen. It took me around 5 weeks of persistence to get a refund for the laptop and took me 7 weeks to get a refund for the required "special delivery" in order to return it. I would stick to what you can handle at a cex store or avoid them entirely.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants