Has anyone else noticed....

20 replies
Found 24th Oct 2007
.... how the traffic is always much lighter when the kids are off school?

I know that some people take time off work when their kids are off, but surely they aren't always off at the same time as their kids?

This leads me to the conclusion that the heavy traffic is created mainly by the school run as it doesn't seem to happen when the schools are closed. So instead of spending loads of money on park and ride schemes that dont affect the cause of the traffic and other daft idea like using the hard shoulder, how about paying for dedicated school buses like in the states that collect all the kids and take them to school.

And anyone who still insists on bringing their kids by car should be shot at dawn. :thumbsup:

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
20 Comments

I've always been confused when I go to uni on Thursdays when I'm going to the bus stop. Always seems to be a lot of cars even though it is a village and the most any child has to walk is 5 minutes and every other village has it's own school so there really is no need to take them by car...

I agree in germany we had a bus and it picked all the kids up, so no need to drive in... and here on our camp we have a bus to pick the kids up and take them to school. I used to drive a few years ago and hated it i was always late stuck in traffic, i got points as i drove too fast.. yep one bus to pick up 30 kids would save 30 cars on the roads

Banned

but the darlings are being kept entertained as they are off school , shop lifting and stuffhttp://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/midi/boese/a038.gif

You should drive a motorbike like me, theres no such thing as traffic :thumbsup:

Everytime there is a school holiday the roads magically get very quiet. I absolutely love the 6 week holiday, a normal drive to work on a normal day takes around 40mins, school hols it takes 15mins!

It just amazes me that the government hasnt done anything about this yet? And its one of the causes of obesity in schools, I never got a lift to school (im 24 now, so not that long ago really), yet kids these days rarely walk!

It's another one of those things that makes my blood boil!

From about the age of 7 it was shanks' pony for me and my siblings to get to and from school!!

At High school it was the bus......mum and dad worked full time so no lifts here,there and everywhere for us!:whistling:

suchafunkymonkey

.... how the traffic is always much lighter when the kids are off school? … .... how the traffic is always much lighter when the kids are off school? I know that some people take time off work when their kids are off, but surely they aren't always off at the same time as their kids?This leads me to the conclusion that the heavy traffic is created mainly by the school run as it doesn't seem to happen when the schools are closed. So instead of spending loads of money on park and ride schemes that dont affect the cause of the traffic and other daft idea like using the hard shoulder, how about paying for dedicated school buses like in the states that collect all the kids and take them to school. And anyone who still insists on bringing their kids by car should be shot at dawn. :thumbsup:

Havent seen a single 4x4 :giggle:

dog_cop

but the darlings are being kept entertained as they are off school , shop … but the darlings are being kept entertained as they are off school , shop lifting and stuff

You always see the good in people. :whistling:

There should be one bus per area which picks the children all up.It would save on congestion on roads.Im sure they do this in America.About time we had it here.Yes it means some kids will be picked up early but thats a small price to pay.ID be more than happy paying a small fee to the school for a supervised bus to pick up and bring home my son.

pcnutta

There should be one bus per area which picks the children all up.It would … There should be one bus per area which picks the children all up.It would save on congestion on roads.Im sure they do this in America.About time we had it here.Yes it means some kids will be picked up early but thats a small price to pay.ID be more than happy paying a small fee to the school for a supervised bus to pick up and bring home my son.

totally agree i would be willing to pay .I must confess i do drive kids to school as i have to get to work but unless they have a club i allways walk to pick them up .I would say it wouldn't have to pick them up much earlier than i have to leave to get a parking spot up the school.Plus it would mean i could get to work earlier and leave later so huge advantages .I think it won't be long before they do introduce it but not before my children leave middle school.:-(

As an ex bus driver I hated the school runs. Give me a bus load of drunks anyday. At least you can give some abuse back with out anyone complaining to the PTE or the bus company.

One of the drivers was summond to the office for swearing at some kids. Sounds bad until you find out that they had set the back seat alight.

My wife set up a walking bus - unfortunately the help from other parents is not "enthusiastic". These are the same parents who complain about all the cars parked around the school and how dangerous it is. But they all think the walking bus is a marvellous idea....but they prefer their little darlings to be warm, dry and have a sedentry lifestyle.

However in saying that - my kids probably get more exercise walking to school than I do...

Original Poster

Maybe we should start an online petition to get Brown to put on school buses and make the teachers also use them to control the kids.

Antigod

It just amazes me that the government hasnt done anything about this yet? … It just amazes me that the government hasnt done anything about this yet? And its one of the causes of obesity in schools, I never got a lift to school (im 24 now, so not that long ago really), yet kids these days rarely walk!

:?

I used to walk 2 miles to school and 2 miles home and i've always been a fat *******. Your argument is a leaky bucket:giggle:

lumoruk

You mean you're one of those idiots that darts inbetween traffic? You … You mean you're one of those idiots that darts inbetween traffic? You know that's classed as dangerous driving and driving (riding) without reasonable consideration for other road users, Law RTA 1988 sects 2&3 as amended by RTA 1991

with that attitude i would hope your forced to ride a motorbike and spend your days in sub zero weather conditions dodging inconciderate people such as yourself who think that a rear view mirror is for checking you look good on the phone , biff is a help not a hinderance , afford him some respect

izzzzythedog

with that attitude i would hope your forced to ride a motorbike and spend … with that attitude i would hope your forced to ride a motorbike and spend your days in sub zero weather conditions dodging inconciderate people such as yourself who think that a rear view mirror is for checking you look good on the phone , biff is a help not a hinderance , afford him some respect

Why would you say that? Bikers CHOOSE to ride bikes and a fair portion of them ARE total ********s. A mate of mines a biker and even he agrees with that statement.

it wasn't directed at yourself but it seems you have an opinion and id like to see why its totally one sided

yes bikers choice to ride bikes and yeah there are fools out there such as it is there are fools in all society , to denote fool with riding bike is presumtion and idiotic to the extreme , it is reflective of either an essence of astute intelligence or an empty cranium , i favour the latter , by-proxy are you stating that only fools ride bikes ? or would you care to show more clarity , with near 3 million bikes on the uk roads thats alot of people whom you so readily assume are fools because of there chosen form of motive power and yet they choose to exercise good judgement by using machinery that is minimal pollutive , economic for an individual and environmental aspect and generally safe until they come across moronic imbecilic inconsiderate piles of sputum whom think there above there station in life in regard to others and their choices , its unwise to carry such prejudices around and to be so presumptuous toward people as a whole

izzzzythedog

it wasn't directed at yourself but it seems you have an opinion and id … it wasn't directed at yourself but it seems you have an opinion and id like to see why its totally one sided yes bikers choice to ride bikes and yeah there are fools out there such as it is there are fools in all society , to denote fool with riding bike is presumtion and idiotic to the extreme , it is reflective of either an essence of astute intelligence or an empty cranium , i favour the latter , by-proxy are you stating that only fools ride bikes ? or would you care to show more clarity , with near 3 million bikes on the uk roads thats alot of people whom you so readily assume are fools because of there chosen form of motive power and yet they choose to exercise good judgement by using machinery that is minimal pollutive , economic for an individual and environmental aspect and generally safe until they come across moronic imbecilic inconsiderate piles of sputum whom think there above there station in life in regard to others and their choices , its unwise to carry such prejudices around and to be so presumptuous toward people as a whole

Sorry, I can't decide if that was aimed at me or not?

Too late? That's 4:19 in the morning not afternoon :lol:

i used to help run a walking bus for kids in our town, we would collect kids from certain points as we walked towards school from just out of town.
problem we had was it needed parents/helpers to walk with us occasionally, once a week would have been enough.
the kids really enjoyed the walk and we had loads of kids signed up , but it folded because only one parent (other than myself) offered to help. the council did fund one paid worker but only for the first 6 months until we had volunteers. people complain about these problems congestion/enviroment/child safety yet so few are prepared to give 15 minutes a week to support community projects.
stop moaning and start helping.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21128
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769544
    3. Exploding Paw Patrol foam soap Leaves child in ICU11
    4. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3065

See more discussions