Has Anyone Ever Bid To Upgrade on Etihad Airways.

Posted 31st Dec 2019Edited by:"Toptrumpet"
As title really. Just wondering how it all works, especially if there’s two of you travelling and if anyone has been successful.
Etihad Bid for an Upgrade
Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

29 Comments
Didnt know this even existed!
I have done it many times.
Few days before your flight, you will be sent an email about this. You go to a website and choose how much you want to bid for a Business class upgrade. If your bid is on the lower side of the speedometer, the less chance you have of getting an upgrade at that price. So, you have to bid as high as you can.

Might not turn out to be cost effective
Done this with other airlines and have got the upgrades.
joyf453631/12/2019 17:33

Done this with other airlines and have got the upgrades.

That’s good to hear, I thought it might just be a marketing ploy or something.
Toptrumpet31/12/2019 17:38

That’s good to hear, I thought it might just be a marketing ploy or s …That’s good to hear, I thought it might just be a marketing ploy or something.

It's a way of getting more money out of the people who are upgraded to otherwise empty seats and allowing them to sell your lower class seats over again. Win/Win if you get an upgrade for a sensible price that you are willing to pay.
We did this on Norwegian UK to Singapore and got upgraded with a bid of £120 (each). Best value ever....................
I'd sit in cargo rather than pay extra on a flight lol
.MUFC.01/01/2020 11:51

I think they call that ‘Cattle Class’ on Ryanair.

You just want to rifle through the cases.

With Etihad, you also get Business class lounge access at departing airport and their amazing Business class food. They have an a-la-carte menu as well where you can get multiple helpings of ice creams and steak sandwiches.
zworld01/01/2020 12:25

With Etihad, you also get Business class lounge access at departing …With Etihad, you also get Business class lounge access at departing airport and their amazing Business class food. They have an a-la-carte menu as well where you can get multiple helpings of ice creams and steak sandwiches.

Thanks for that, I assume that Etihad’s Economy class will be the equivalent of say Virgin’s Business Class. The flight is only 6 odd hours, so I don’t mind being in economy - I just thought I might bid and treat myself.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 1st Jan
" I assume that Etihad’s Economy class will be the equivalent of say Virgin’s Business Class"

I wouldn't assume that !!
Toptrumpet01/01/2020 12:30

Thanks for that, I assume that Etihad’s Economy class will be the e …Thanks for that, I assume that Etihad’s Economy class will be the equivalent of say Virgin’s Business Class. The flight is only 6 odd hours, so I don’t mind being in economy - I just thought I might bid and treat myself.

Where are you going ? Come on, spill the beans.
Edited by: "zworld" 1st Jan
zworld01/01/2020 18:36

Where are you going ? Come on, spill the beans.

I’m off to Abu Dhabi Doo, to watch The Beef at the Golf Championship in January.
39561765-31ohu.jpg
Toptrumpet01/01/2020 12:30

Thanks for that, I assume that Etihad’s Economy class will be the e …Thanks for that, I assume that Etihad’s Economy class will be the equivalent of say Virgin’s Business Class. The flight is only 6 odd hours, so I don’t mind being in economy - I just thought I might bid and treat myself.

No, Etihads Economy is probably as good as BA Prem economy so not that good. Def go for biz...
zworld01/01/2020 12:25

With Etihad, you also get Business class lounge access at departing …With Etihad, you also get Business class lounge access at departing airport and their amazing Business class food. They have an a-la-carte menu as well where you can get multiple helpings of ice creams and steak sandwiches.

Those steak sandwiches are excellent, I had three of them in one flight just to make sure.....
SecretSquirrel1901/01/2020 18:51

No, Etihads Economy is probably as good as BA Prem economy so not that …No, Etihads Economy is probably as good as BA Prem economy so not that good. Def go for biz...

Now that’s not good news. I’ve just come back from Vegas with BA in economy and that was really bad. The food, the entertainment system, the plane, the only things good were - it was on time and the cabin crew.
I’ve upgraded with them for a flight in May both ways.
M_L01/01/2020 18:58

Those steak sandwiches are excellent, I had three of them in one flight …Those steak sandwiches are excellent, I had three of them in one flight just to make sure.....

Steak sandwiches? Now that sounds much better than BA’s choice of tomato and cheese pasta or chicken curry.
Toptrumpet01/01/2020 19:11

Steak sandwiches? Now that sounds much better than BA’s choice of tomato a …Steak sandwiches? Now that sounds much better than BA’s choice of tomato and cheese pasta or chicken curry.

Indeed, they did run out of Champagne on my flight though - a true first world problem.
M_L01/01/2020 19:12

Indeed, they did run out of Champagne on my flight though - a true first …Indeed, they did run out of Champagne on my flight though - a true first world problem.

Oh stop it, you’re teasing me now. Champagne - as if!
Toptrumpet01/01/2020 18:46

I’m off to Abu Dhabi Doo, to watch The Beef at the Golf Championship in J …I’m off to Abu Dhabi Doo, to watch The Beef at the Golf Championship in January.[Image]

If you have bought the cheap £250ish flights, you will be disappointed with Economy class. Your choice of meal will run out. These are ex-Jet Airways slots and rather than letting them go, Etihad are holding on to them to offer cheap AUH flights. Etihad had a majority ownership of Jet before it went bust.

Have you been to AbuDhabi before ? I went there last year and loved it.
You can sign up for the Rotana membership scheme and get instant disocunted rate at their hotels. I stayed at Al Maha Arjaan By Rotana and it cost me £38 for a party of 2 per night. ( No breakfast included )
Toptrumpet01/01/2020 19:11

Steak sandwiches? Now that sounds much better than BA’s choice of tomato a …Steak sandwiches? Now that sounds much better than BA’s choice of tomato and cheese pasta or chicken curry.

Had these from the All Day menu :

Steak sandwich

39562399-hYiKR.jpg

Scrambled eggs, potato rosti, asparagus and cherry tomatoes and a choc muffin and of course toasted bread and butter

39562399-AdPTn.jpg

Ice cream
39562399-qrMeu.jpg

Your usual Business class food might be :

Starter - Arabic mezze
39562399-gsv89.jpg

Mains - Roasted lamb loin with seasonal vegetables

39562399-YK0kG.jpg

OR Mains - Chicken breast with saffron rice and beans

39562399-kmjZ9.jpg
Edited by: "zworld" 1st Jan
zworld01/01/2020 19:47

If you have bought the cheap £250ish flights, you will be disappointed …If you have bought the cheap £250ish flights, you will be disappointed with Economy class. Your choice of meal will run out. These are ex-Jet Airways slots and rather than letting them go, Etihad are holding on to them to offer cheap AUH flights. Etihad had a majority ownership of Jet before it went bust. Have you been to AbuDhabi before ? I went there last year and loved it. You can sign up for the Rotana membership scheme and get instant disocunted rate at their hotels. I stayed at Al Maha Arjaan By Rotana and it cost me £38 for a party of 2 per night. ( No breakfast included )

I’m not sure about the cost of the flight as I’ve booked a package via Travel Republic (have to look into the booking). I’ve been a few times before and usually stay at The Shangri-La. This time we’ve booked into The Ritz Carlton for 10 days which is near The Grand Mosque.
I’ve stayed at the Rotana in Dubai when it first opened and yes they are a good chain of hotels.
@zworld thanks for the photos but I haven’t had my dinner yet and it’s making me hungry.
I can’t believe you took pictures.
I hate it when the business class cabin fills with horrible economy class types.

Me too.....must be something about United fans. After 700 flights in economy/cattle I can live with more cramped 2 hours 30 London-Alicante!
Erudite01/01/2020 20:17

I hate it when the business class cabin fills with horrible economy class …I hate it when the business class cabin fills with horrible economy class types.

Money talk$
39564601-rkm1o.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions