Expired

Has anyone ever had issues with petrol pump not dispersing petrol?

Found 28th Jan 2013
Just been to Sainsbury, I didnt have my card on me so I just had to use the little cash I had on me.

I put £8 in, I paid for it and my digital petrol counter hasn't moved!

I have never experienced anything like this, and I know it seems strange.
Community Updates
AskPetrolPumps
33 Comments
They should be able to tell from the meter readings inside that it didn't move / and i assume deliver anything.
I went in to speak to them and the manager was the most patronising cow I think I have ever spoke to. I have the area managers details, just wondering if it has happened to anyone else.
deleted8996
If your putting 4 or 5 litres in it might not register or take a while too. The pump would have dispensed the fuel.
Edited by: "deleted8996" 28th Jan 2013
IWOOTN

They should be able to tell from the meter readings inside that it … They should be able to tell from the meter readings inside that it didn't move / and i assume deliver anything.

Well the counters on the pump went round, thats what she is saying. Basically that it delivered what the pump is saying it did.
jonny619447

I went in to speak to them and the manager was the most patronising cow I … I went in to speak to them and the manager was the most patronising cow I think I have ever spoke to. I have the area managers details, just wondering if it has happened to anyone else.

Sorry, did you put petrol in or not?

If you did, what has your gauge got to do with them?
Edited by: "thesaint" 28th Jan 2013
Paddy_o_furniture

If your putting 4 or 5 litres in it might not register or take a while … If your putting 4 or 5 litres in it might not register or take a while too. The pump would have dispensed the fuel.

Surely though if my counter can tell me how many miles I have left before the tank is empty it shouldn't have a problem measuring 50 miles worth of petrol.
thesaint

Sorry, did you put petrol in or not?If you did, what has your gauge got … Sorry, did you put petrol in or not?If you did, what has your gauge got to do with them?

It hasn't moved. Surely the petrol would have shown up if it had been dispensed.
jonny619447

It hasn't moved. Surely the petrol would have shown up if it had been … It hasn't moved. Surely the petrol would have shown up if it had been dispensed.

Not if YOUR petrol gauge is faulty.

When you squeze the trigger, it is obvious when petrol is going through the nozzle or not. You don't rely on what your gauge tells you.
Edited by: "thesaint" 28th Jan 2013
Just another thought, my needle didn't move on occasion, however once i started driving it crawled slowly and i had put £40 worth in then. Sorry i misread your op as i thought the pump hadn't moved. It might move up next time you turn the engine back on.
Edited by: "IWOOTN" 28th Jan 2013
Ok, guys thanks for the replies.

Ill give my dealership a ring, they will know if it should have registered.
Its happen to me a couple of times before. I think the float gets stuck in the tank. Switch the car off and try starting it a little later and it should move
It's more likely to be a problem with your gauge than their petrol pump. The counter on the pump goes round as the petrol is being dispensed so if the pump counter has moved the fuel is in your tank.

oops sorry, i got distracted while typing that so by the time I had posted it loads of others had got in before me.
whatsThePoint

op how big is your petrol tank and do you notice the gauge move for every … op how big is your petrol tank and do you notice the gauge move for every litre that is used?

Its all digital, obviously I notice the counter going down when Im driving.

Anyway Ive just phoned Honda and its a common thing for it to not register small amounts. I dont think ive ever put less than a tenner in so now I know.

jonny619447

Its all digital, obviously I notice the counter going down when Im … Its all digital, obviously I notice the counter going down when Im driving. Anyway Ive just phoned Honda and its a common thing for it to not register small amounts. I dont think ive ever put less than a tenner in so now I know.

So dont be a cheapskate next time
same thing happens if I only top up with a little amount of fuel but it would of dispensed the fuel the car just doesn't register anything under a tenners worth
I remember the days when £10 got you a quarter tank... then I get depressed
I was going to say Honda, Civic?

I remember when I bought mine it was empty, put £10 in it and it did not register. Common thing!
ive had one tick to just over £2 before actually kicking in and pushing fuel out, not having experienced this before i went in and mentioned it and to my amazement they basically didnt believe me and that there was nothing they could do, I said it was only about £2's worth, but that's not the point, they suggested writing a letter and on that note i laughed and walked out.
DudeyGeeza

ive had one tick to just over £2 before actually kicking in and pushing … ive had one tick to just over £2 before actually kicking in and pushing fuel out, not having experienced this before i went in and mentioned it and to my amazement they basically didnt believe me and that there was nothing they could do, I said it was only about £2's worth, but that's not the point, they suggested writing a letter and on that note i laughed and walked out.

If that happens, report them to your local councils under the weights and measures (not 100% sure dept), they will have to be tested then. Quite a few petrol stations use old or second hand petrol pumps, they are expensive to buy new, so sometimes they can be faulty.
well £8 worth was never going to make anything amazing happen with your petrol gauge
I have come a cross a faulty petrol pump before. The dials were moving round and clocking up a bill even though the trigger wasn't depressed and no fuel coming out. You can leave your name and number and when the pumps are calibrated/checked they should let you know if there is a problem.

The thing is, that the OP is only going by what his fuel gauge tells him.
Hence me asking:

thesaint

When you squeze the trigger, it is obvious when petrol is going through … When you squeze the trigger, it is obvious when petrol is going through the nozzle or not. You don't rely on what your gauge tells you.

have you tried bilking, then you don't have to interact with the obnoxious staff
I suggest you go back to the garage and apologise to the patronising lady.
markbart87

I suggest you go back to the garage and apologise to the patronising lady.

I should apologise for her patronising mannerism?

You haven't really thought that one through have you. oO
I would just leave it, and never show your face in that garage again. The Manager/colleague will at the time of been stood there been thinking wtf do you want me to do about that!

I don't own a car or even have a license but I do know that sticking a few quid in will not do anything to your fuel gauge.

Did you ever watch the episode of top gear where Jeremy Clarkson drove from the continent to Blackpool to turn on the lights? Yet 50-100 miles (cant remember exact mileage) from Blackpool the gauge was saying he was on fumes, yet at the end of the program they said they emptied the fuel tank and there was still enough fuel for a further 100 miles or so.
My car does not register under a certain amount of fuel, I think it may be 10ltr I know it usually amounts to about £10-12. The needle does not move, and it slowly goes up over the course of a day.
shopstilldrops

So dont be a cheapskate next time

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DvlWo60SGRg/SLew0RgXKiI/AAAAAAAABEU/SaRhFHfd3fg/s400/cartoon.jpg

X)
Edited by: "deeky" 28th Jan 2013
Pmsl deeky boy. Nice one lad. X)
My corsa did this once and I argued with the cashier for half an hour, I got in my car to go and it went up! Never did it again though.
jonny619447

I should apologise for her patronising mannerism?You haven't really … I should apologise for her patronising mannerism?You haven't really thought that one through have you. oO

No, I would apologise as you got it wrong....
funny you mention this. we had something similar last christmas.

we were running pretty empty so we put in £10 as we wanted to fill up at a cheaper place later on. the needle did not move and we were furious and thought the guy cheated us and was going to go back and demand our money back and have a massive row if we did not get a refund.

anyway, we thought we should ask our in laws first what they thought and we were told that as we had put in so little and the tank was near empty, you would not see the needle move.

thinking about it, the needle probably show empty even if the tank still has a little bit in it as a safety measure to make sure people don't run truely dry.
Like said, depends how empty it is, my car can get 50 milesish with the petrol light on but if i Do say 30 miles into the petrol light and put £10 in the gauge stays exactly where it is. This is prob why (although didnt read all way through so you coulda said was half full for all i knw lol)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants